Game Two

2. I am not suggesting we replace boyd, but i was simply dropping the idea that if we needed to replace boyd for whatever reason, gagai would be an interesting option based on form. If we have game 2 in the bag and boyd is looking rough still, sure it would be good to blood gagai, but it wont happen, it was just a nice little thought in my head. Boyd is clearly underdone, and if mal decided that his performance in game 1 was not up to scratch (it wasnt FTR) then i would love to see gagai get a run. You would be surprised but since boyd's selection in game 1 i have constantly been defending him to my friends and family. They questioned why he would be picked after only playing 2 games and i said "he is a safe option who has never let us down" over and over. I stand by that, but that is only if he is fit. I dont believe he is playing at his peak fitness right now, so if the maroons wanted someone that is, gagai is that man.

...because Gagai is safe and reliable?

I don't think so.

Just read on NRL.com that cooper cronk is out foor 3-4 weeks . game just got much harder

So Fifita has been dropped for Gallen. Makes sense, he was fucking terrible and just isn't suited to Origin footy IMO.

Gallen in for Fifita and assumedly DEC in for Cronk

Much harder than game 1 for QLD

Yeah, but Dugan and Pearce have been selected.

I think we'll be fine.

A 90k crowd is expected for this game.

80k+ tickets have already been sold.

Considering it's in AFL heartland, that's a bloody good crowd.. And yet, NSW can't sell out a game.

I thought Dugan was pretty good actually.

Me too, he's a bloody good player when in form. That break then the kick to Jorris in Game 1 was freakish.

The blues should be concerned about Farah not playing the full 80 IMO, if he needs a rest (and probably will) Jackson will play dummy half. That would be enough to have me worried.

As did I. Any team is more dangerous when he's in it. He's the one player that worries me the most in their entire team.
He was pretty good, but not that good. He still had and has a few bone headed moments per game.

He was pretty good, but not that good. He still had and has a few bone headed moments per game.

Well yeah, we already agreed that he was pretty good ;-)

All players have moments where you think "What were you thinking". But I look at Dugan as a strike player. At the right time, for the right ball, he will bend you over backwards and ram it home.

Dugan needs to get himself in the game more.

His biggest problem is that he seems to go MIA a lot and will just settle for kick returns or the odd run down a fringe where he won't put in as much effort as he should.

Compare that to Slater who is always in the game.

Or somebody like Hayne who was just a freak.

And he just pales in comparison.

That was a special play in Origin I and I was completely blown away when he came up with it.

However he really hasn't impressed me that much this season and seems to be in the team by default more than anything else. I really don't understand the media hype.

His biggest problem is that he seems to go MIA a lot and will just settle for kick returns or the odd run down a fringe where he won't put in as much effort as he should.

That was a special play in Origin I and I was completely blown away when he came up with it.

However he really hasn't impressed me that much this season and seems to be in the team by default more than anything else. I really don't understand the media hype.

I agree he wasn't doing anything special before Origin 1, but since then I think his form has lifted exponentially.

I'm with ya there BP, also he does have a big **** up in his game fairly regularly

Last edited:

I don't see much hype around him in the media, or from fans. I don't frequent onto other league sites, so I'm not sure in that regard.

Maybe I'm over-stating it, but watching shows like NRL 360, Sterlo, Matty Johns Show and the Sunday Footy Show it seemed as if Dugan was getting the lions share of the credit for the Dragons success when really it was the likes of Merrin, Cooper, Frizell, Marshall etc. stepping up.

It got to the point where they were so confident in his abilities, Joey was throwing his name up as a 6 despite Josh's limited experience in that position because he was so impressed with his form.

And this isn't about bagging out Rugby League personalities either. This might sound unpopular but I actually enjoy watching the greats give their opinions and agree with them more often than not. However, this confidence in Dugan after all of his performances at fullback in the past left me gobsmacked.

QUEENSLAND will move superstar Greg Inglis to the wing in a tactical move to unleash his footballing genius.

The Courier-Mail can reveal that a fully fit Inglis will be given a roving commission for Game Two that will include significant time on the wing.

It was a plan the Maroons discussed for Game One until Inglis became seriously ill with tonsillitis.

Inglis played one of his worst Origin games in the series opener, but he was actually fortunate to play at all, and teammates were amazed at his recovery.

The Maroons talked down his illness, but the truth is Inglis was unable to swallow in the days leading up to the clash.

Queensland coach Mal Meninga told The Courier-Mail they had to get Inglis into the game more in Origin II.

Meninga said playing him on the wing during sections of the game would allow them to do so.

Maroons selector Darren Lockyer first raised the idea of shifting Inglis to the wing so he could return the ball from kicks and Meninga agreed with him.

“I think that’s a great idea,” Meninga said of Lockyer’s proposal. “Playing in the centres is a lot different to the wing so keeping him there was the right thing for Game One.

“We want Greg playing at his best with ball in hand.

“You have to realise though that when you talk about kick receptions, sometimes the tougher run is the second run.

“We want our bigger blokes, like Greg and Justin Hodges, doing those runs.

“Greg was crook in Game One. It was tonsillitis. He was bedridden on a drip for three days. “We gave him the best treatment we could.”

Fellow centre Justin Hodges said he expected Inglis to play wing next Wednesday night at the MCG.

“The more he gets involved the better our side will be,” Hodges said. “No one wants to see Greg coming back at you at full flight.

“That’s a possibility for Mal to do that because him being on the wing will only benefit us.”

When Inglis moves to wing during Origin II, Darius Boyd will shift into centre.

Inglis will also roam at fullback when the Maroons are in the Blues’ half, a play Brisbane use with Hodges in the NRL.

Playing Inglis on the wing would also lighten his defensive workload. Inglis had made 18 tackles by halftime of Origin I.

Lockyer said last week that shifting Inglis to wing could allow him the freedom to impose his will on the Blues.

“The thing I like about Greg Inglis on the wing is he will preserve his energy in defence because he won’t make as many tackles, but he also gets a shot on kick returns,” Lockyer told The Courier-Mail.

“Playing on the wing, you can have some freedom, a bit like Nathan Blacklock and Nathan Merritt, you can roam around and prey on those inside balls coming out of your own half.”

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...nd-his-best-form/story-e6freon6-1227392038540

Shit yeh. A lot of fans (including myself) have been calling for Inglis to drop to wing on the 4th or 5th tackle of each defensive set to give him the chance to run it back to the blues. I am looking forward to this! With the blues already saying they will target slater, this gives him the chance to offload the ball to Inglis and let him rip in.

Active Now

• mrslong
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • sooticus
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Manifesto
  • Brocko
  • Howzat
  • Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  • johnyE
  • Broncosgirl
  • Lurker
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.