Glenn: We are the coach now

Lexy mentions the coach "compromising" a few times which suggests Pies has caved somewhat to player pressure. This is evident when Lexy says Milf would rather play in front of the forwards which suggests Pies is wanting Milf to play behind the forwards and run off their quick play the balls. This is obviously not working and at present it's obvious it's actually stifling Milf's natural instincts to play what he sees. So the players have convinced Pies to ditch his current 'masterplan'.

That little gem from Lexy tells me there is a level of discomfort among the playing group. The extent of how much the playing group is ticked off is hard to tell. But six in a row (some against teams we should have beaten) does give me serious cause for concern.

I still think Pies is out of his depth at present but may well make a good coach in the future, but FMD the Broncos should never be the training ground for a head coach.

If we still manage to lose on Saturday I can only say this current leadership group are kidding themselves on.

Lexy mentions the coach "compromising" a few times which suggests Pies has caved somewhat to player pressure. This is evident when Lexy says Milf would rather play in front of the forwards which suggests Pies is wanting Milf to play behind the forwards and run off their quick play the balls. This is obviously not working and at present it's obvious it's actually stifling Milf's natural instincts to play what he sees. So the players have convinced Pies to ditch his current 'masterplan'.

That little gem from Lexy tells me there is a level of discomfort among the playing group. The extent of how much the playing group is ticked off is hard to tell. But six in a row (some against teams we should have beaten) does give me serious cause for concern.

I still think Pies is out of his depth at present but may well make a good coach in the future, but FMD the Broncos should never be the training ground for a head coach.

If we still manage to lose on Saturday I can only say this current leadership group are kidding themselves on.

Of course Milf wants to play in front of the forwards, means he has to run less.
[automerge]1594366532[/automerge]
The players decided to train at 150% of game speed

So still half the pace of the Roosters, Eels, Storm and 12 other clubs.

Last edited:
There was a telling admission several weeks ago from Seibold regarding the 6 again rule. He mentioned that the coaching staff were slow to adapt to the new rule.

From what we have been told this guys is supposed to be the 'analytics' coach, he fusses over the details. Yet they seemed to ignore one the biggest rule changes in recent memory. So is he the smartest man in the room, or quite the opposite?

Siebold is Wayne Bennet circa 1986. At Canberra, he was paired with a veteran Don Furner and given guidance whilst being allowed to instigate new ideas and strategies.
If there was a modern-day Don Furner (perhaps a Wayne Bennet, Tim Sheens, Phil Gould) who could swallow their ego and let the young coach blossom, it might have worked without the current drama we have. How much of the current situation is due to the naivety of youth and inexperience, both players and staff.
Karl Morris and Paul White should have known better than to let this develop like this. I get they wanted to revive the club with new ideas and perhaps Bennet would never have been an easy man to let others drive the direction, but throwing a largely untested young coach into the hardest coaching job in the league, a job where success is expected not during your tenure but yearly, was always a bridge too far. It comes with the task of balancing superstar egos with prodigious talent that are still rough diamonds and turning it all into a functioning team that doesn't just succeed but win premierships.
It's a shame the board did not include someone who has been a successful football manager or coach of an NRL team. I think Lockyer, as good as he was, still only sees things from a player perspective, without a more strategic outlook of those other positions.

So basically the players want to go back to how Wayne coached them. **** this looks bad for Seibold. If we come out and pump the bulldogs it arguably looks worse for him than a narrow loss.

I'm not sure Bennett ever trained by having a "golf day" and an optional training session (Fridays captains run)

This isn’t anything new. This is something that’s been done by other coaches in the game, successful coaches. I really don’t see the issue. It’s allowing senior players to have more input which isn’t a bad thing.

Say what you want about senior players, but these guys are hard trainers and put in the effort on the training paddock. Especially Boyd, who is our best trainer and has a good football brain. He doesn’t put in the effort on the field but it’s going to be Glenn that has the control.

If it works, great. If it doesn’t, then what’s the harm exactly?

This isn’t anything new. This is something that’s been done by other coaches in the game, successful coaches. I really don’t see the issue. It’s allowing senior players to have more input which isn’t a bad thing.

Say what you want about senior players, but these guys are hard trainers and put in the effort on the training paddock. Especially Boyd, who is our best trainer and has a good football brain. He doesn’t put in the effort on the field but we’re not talking about on field here.

If it works, great. If it doesn’t, then what’s the harm exactly?
it may have been done before, but has it been done after the coach has lost 6 straight and admitted he doesn’t know what to do?

Last edited:

This is pretty fascinating to watch. Glenn is strongly implying that Seibold's training methods suck. He (not verbatim) has said that he wants to change the structure so Milford can be freed up and that he was still sore from the previous game last week and that training should be fun and the boys should be chilled instead of depressed.

That's a huge red flag for Seibold but hopefully he watches the press conference himself, if he's willing to adapt and the team turns around, he could survive.

Last edited:
47ti24.jpg

Translation: we've sacked Seibold for you.

View attachment 8654
Man honestly. I'm reading the stuff our players have been saying lately and just thinking who is coming up with this stuff. You can't make it up. It's becoming so embarrassing. Not sure if it's more stupid mind games or what the angle is. I would love to read a positive article but everything sucks. We are a joke now and everyone is laughing at us man god dammit

WTF, this guy is taking his non-performance based contract to the extreme. I remember watching a show when I was 15 called Cant Cook, Wont Cook. I'm 37 I now watching a show called Cant Coach, Won't Coach. I got no idea wtf is going on at the broncos, this shit is confusing.

He won't drop under performing players (I still believe boyd is undroppable because of a contract clause and this was over a year ago i believe, he shouldn't even be in NRL. since I posted my theory he has gotten worse 10 fold).

Now he has no input in training? Why do this shit after six losses? You buckle down and make hard decisions and smash the basics into the team so atleast they don't drop the ball every 3rd set.

We just need to get the basics right first! **** off the overpaced training, **** off the music shit, **** off that statistics guy, **** off splitting the team into 2 at half time.

Just get the ***** to catch a ball and tackle then work on set plays. Start with defence!

Ok team..you have had your spat and won. Now lets see it work. Show how you're more 'relaxed' take on training doesn't turn Milf into a fat lazy pud and how you compete with Melbourne and Roosters. Or are you all just happy being a team of also rans?

I think it’s a great sign the team wants to take control, they will play more passionately to prove their worth if it’s their own game plan they are playing to win with, let’s just hope all the players buy in and are all on the same page. We will see if our leaders stand up.

This is pretty fascinating to watch. Glenn is strongly implying that Seibold's training methods suck. He (not verbatim) has said that he wants to change the structure so Milford can be freed up and that he was still sore from the previous game last week and that training should be fun and the boys should be chilled instead of depressed.

That's a huge red flag for Seibold but hopefully he watches the press conference himself, if he's willing to adapt and the team turns around, he could survive.

in a way you're probably right ... but IMO what sounds like has happened, is the players have finally found their voices (possibly due to Glenn's leadership instead of Boyd's) and talked to Seibs about ways his training could change to help performance.

and to Seibs credit he has listened and adapted, rather that continued with what wasn't working.

to quote Glenn "when you have a head coach who is willing to change up his style of coaching to benefit the team, you're in good hands"

Last edited:

Unread

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Skathen
  • Battler
  • bazza
  • MrMoore
  • theshed
  • heartly87
  • Footy Fanatic
  • FaceOfMutiny
  • Broncosgirl
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.