PRE-GAME Grand Final - Broncos vs Cowboys v

Re: Grand Final - Broncos vs Cowboys

Today the worry has well and truly set in. I'm not buying into this travel thing, the Cowboys have had 20 years to make sure they mitigate the travel factor, I'm sure they're fine there. The week off, I don't care about historical stats, I think it means **** all.

The betting means nothing to me too. I really see both teams with equal chance of winning this. I was confident to start with, not anymore.

i am too pumped to be worried.

That article is an absolute load of shit.

it says on the ANZ stadium site that pass-outs will not be issued. is this correct? i want to get there early but the idea of being locked in the stadium for 8 hours is a bit worrying.

Have just tweeted the stadium twitter to ask.

Last edited:

JUSTIN Hodges will have to play through significant pain in Sunday’s grand final with his lower back injury worse than expected, forcing him to abandon training.

Hodges didn’t even make it through Brisbane’s warm-up on Thursday and Dale Copley, who hasn’t played in a month, will replace him at right centre if his back doesn’t improve.

The Broncos captain hopes to make it through Saturday’s final session and told The Courier-Mail as he left training that he backed himself to play through the pain.

It could be a risk for Brisbane to play him with the Roosters finding out last week how dangerous fielding an injured star can be when Mitchell Pearce broke down.

Hodges, 33, tried to warm up with the team but struggled to run properly and his back required physio on field.

He was rushed from training for further treatment during Thursday’s session and had ice on his lower back when he returned to join his team on the bus back to the team hotel.

Hodges injured his back late in the first half of the Broncos victory over Sydney last week and he will be needled for the decider against North Queensland.

There are also concerns for two more Broncos who also failed to train with forwards Alex Glenn and Mitchell Dodds watching their team from the sideline. Both are expected to play.

It has been a dramatic week for veteran centre Hodges.

His premiership fairytale was almost pulped until the NRL judiciary found him not guilty of a dangerous throw on Monday night.

He admitted he would be “haunted for life” if he wasn’t able to play in the Broncos’ decider against the Cowboys.

“It is just sore,” a frustrated Hodges said at the grand final press conference late Thursday.

“Enough questions about my back. I’ll be right.”

The Cowboys also took a risk in week one of the finals with Michael Morgan, who returned from an ankle injury a week earlier than he normally would.

The star five-eighth was clearly hampered by the ankle as he made two crucial errors in North Queensland’s loss to the Broncos.

The Broncos trained at renowned rugby union nursery St Joseph’s College, the school that taught Matt Burke and Kurtley Beale how to play football.

Brisbane ran an opposed session against the Kiwi train on squad that Stephen Kearney will take over next week.

Copley was busy chatting to members of the Kiwis when Broncos trainers yelled at him to stop talking to mates and join Brisbane’s backline in place of Hodges.

Hodges received a lengthy massage on field for his back and Brisbane coach Wayne Bennett hovered above him as medical staff worked on him.

Lachlan Maranta was also training but ran opposed alongside the Kiwi players, which included Wests enforcer Martin Taupau, former Bronco Gerard Beale and Dragons winger Jason Nightingale.

Hodges to play through the pain

hodges will be fine.

Broncos go into this game in better condition than the Cowboys, IMO.

The week off, the extra day recovery and the fact that we didn't have to travel from Townsville to Melbourne, then Melbourne to Townsville and then Townsville to Sydney.

Broncos looked really relaxed at that press conference. It doesn't look like there is any pressure.

Maybe that could go against us. As we've seen in the past, anything can happen in a Grand Final.

What were the Cowboys like at their conference?

He'll take a needle and play, he won't miss this for anything.

That guy is the editor of Brisbane Times, trying to use his newspaper to spread his Broncos hate. Last time I read that site.

The Broncos hate is very strong right now, back late 90s levels. Brilliant.

Noise yes there are not pass outs at shitty ANZ stadium. I really don't like that place...

I'm kinda glad to see some of the confidence is ebbing away in here - all that cockiness was making me even more nervous than I already was!

I'm worried about the Cowboys going against their trend and getting a fast start, putting some quick early tries on. I think this Bronco team is a far better front-runner than they are chasing points, and I'd be worried if the Cowboys got out to a ten or twelve point lead. My fear is it would turn into the Manly game, where everything just went their way. I'm just glad Bennett is there - he's got the experience to make sure they come out with the right mind-set and get through those early jitters.

Tomorrow and Sunday are going to be some serious torture...

Nothing better then having this level of hate again, keep it coming!

I hope I am wrong, but at the start of the year I said the Cowboys would win the Grand Final. :tape:

I just took Broncs half/ full time. I reckon 3 finals, travel and pressure to win will find the Cowboys caught short. Everyone is dismissing our two finals wins and gauging the Cowboys on Cronulla and Melbourne who were atrocious

I just took Broncs half/ full time. I reckon 3 finals, travel and pressure to win will find the Cowboys caught short. Everyone is dismissing our two finals wins and gauging the Cowboys on Cronulla and Melbourne who were atrocious

This is what amazes me. The media are declaring a cowboys win based on a Melbourne win and a win over a team that had no place in the 8.

Yet we beat the benchmark team of the year, convincingly and the Cowboys yet that is all forgotten. I love it

and if you ignore the sharks, the cowboys victory against melbourne last week was their first against a top 8 side since round 10.

Active Now

• Footy Fanatic
  • marw
  • Sproj
  • winslow_wong
  • Morkel
  • heartly87
  • Adammacca
  • Big Del
  • Waynesaurus
  • theshed
  • Wolfie
  • Broncosgirl
  • Pablo
  • FACTHUNT
  • Mr Fourex
  • Santa
  • eazy-duzzit
  • porouian
  • TimWhatley
  • Stix
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.