Greg Inglis signing thread.

Re: Greg Inglis walks away from...

all speculation. but it looks less and less likely Inglis will come up here, now that Finch, Lima and Blair? are leaving for Wigan.

I can't see how losing those 3 (it's Hoffman btw, not Blair) will equate to what they need to shed to be under the cap.

My bad, I knew it was one of those nuffies.

But.. ***** me. JUST GET RID OF THE CAP. Only the strongest survive.

broncospwn said:
Kaz said:
Broncos offer was $400,000 & it seems like his manager found Inglis 3rd party of about $100,000

So the Storm will still have to pay $100,000 to $160,000, depending on what news site you believe.
Wrong. Those third party deals are not to be included from our salary cap, they are just third party deals that will not be affiliated with the club. So Storm will still have to pay 260k or what ever it is remaining next year even if they release Inglis.

Which is why I've been saying they need to lose one and very, very possibly two. The fact is their inflated salaries need to be paid from the Storms cap next year because no other club will match them.

For Inglis that's the same as reducing Storms cap by 250k next year so essentially they have to get rid of 1.575million worth of players to fit in next year and the same goes for any other released player whose salary is not matched by the club that signs him. The difference in contracts is deducted from next years cap to artificially reduce their cap.

The only chance Melbourne have of not being completely rooted is if the NRL agree to not include the contract difference of each player under next years cap.

So they would be aloud to take pay cuts if they stayed with the Storm but if they sign somewhere else they have to be payed the full amount of their contract's?

^^^^ if I was Inglis i would not take even a $1 paycut if the Storm forced me to stay

Interesting comment in the herald.
It is unlikely the Storm would agree to top up any contract Inglis signed with the Broncos - meaning he would have to take a pay cut if they could not match his $660,000-a-year deal.
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 10i0n.html

So if I'm reading that correctly, if he signs with Brisbane for $400,000 the Storm don't have to top up the contract? Surely if that was the case, they couldn't argue with a release (other than of course for the fact that they don't want to lose him!).

And since Finch was off contract next year, getting rid of him won't help any to get them under the cap.

Emma said:
It is unlikely the Storm would agree to top up any contract Inglis signed with the Broncos - meaning he would have to take a pay cut if they could not match his $660,000-a-year deal.

So if I'm reading that correctly, if he signs with Brisbane for $400,000 the Storm don't have to top up the contract? Surely if that was the case, they couldn't argue with a release (other than of course for the fact that they don't want to lose him!).

And since Finch was off contract next year, getting rid of him won't help any to get them under the cap.

I read in the couriermail (not that they would know) that he would earn $650k+ a year with third party deals at the Broncos if he signed. So either they were expecting Melbourne to pay the rest or they have more then $100k in thrid party deals lined up if that article is true!!

Well then lets hope they release him ASAP so we can all take a pill chill and i can go and put $1000 on the Broncos to win the 2011 & 2012 Premierships [icon_wink

Bah, it's all too confusing, conflicting information. It won't be the end of the world if we don't get him. We can always sign Michaels when he is off contract from Titans.

Emma said:

Ok, I'll explain.

The storm aren't actually "topping up" his contract. However any difference in the contract amount will be included in the following seasons salary cap even though they aren't paying it. This is to stop clubs from being able to pay huge overs on a player one year then pay out the contract that same year without any punishment, which a club like Brisbane could afford to do.

broncospwn said:
Emma said:

Ok, I'll explain.

The storm aren't actually "topping up" his contract. However any difference in the contract amount will be included in the following seasons salary cap even though they aren't paying it. This is to stop clubs from being able to pay huge overs on a player one year then pay out the contract that same year without any punishment, which a club like Brisbane could afford to do.

See this is where the NRL needs to step in and sort it out. They want the Storm to get under the cap. They want them to release players. In an act of goodwill, the NRL needs to waive this kind of clause to help the Storm get under the salary cap.

Coxy I think that's exactly what Hartigan was hinting at when he said we will need goodwill from the NRL and a legal case won't help.

Because if the NRL don't budge on that rule Storm will effectively have a cap more like $3.5m instead of $4.2m because of all the contract differences. I hope the NRL sort this out, if we miss out on Inglis because of this then that will be very annoying.

HURRY UP AND DO SOMETHING ALREADY!

His manager said that he didnt expect anything to happen until the end of the week. I have a fealing that we could be waiting another 3 or so days before anything is confirmed :evil:

TBH while I would love Inglis to come at the same time I would get just as much pleasure from watching Melbourne fail miserably with a bunch of 18 year old kids making up 13/17 players every week and us just keeping our juniors.

So for me either way I'll be happy although I would definitely prefer we sign Inglis up :)

GI wants to stay in Melbourne though - he'll choose that over anything else... so I gather if the Storm make it possible - he'll stay.

You reckon?
Why would he approach us if he wants to stay in Melbourne. If that was the case he would stay there until all hope is lost and he gets told righto, you gotta go, then he would make an approach.

I think he definitely wants to come down.

I also have no doubt his first preference is to stay in Melbourne. But he's obviously being smart about it and knows that he could be the one to get tapped on the shoulder and be told that he has to leave, so he's making sure he's got options. If he has to leave, Brisbane is clearly his first choice, hence why he would have approached us.

Active Now

• teampjta
  • Nerd
  • RolledOates
  • Bucking Beads
  • theshed
  • Muros
  • Sproj
  • Scdeac
  • Manofoneway
  • Robboi_321
  • HVbronco
  • marw
  • ettybay
  • Fozz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.