Greg Inglis signing thread.

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
Scotty said:
Copley is supposed to be pretty decent. Maybe we'll see him there if we don't get GI.

He was the leading try scorer for the Toyota cup halfway through the season. Dont know about now though.

I was impressed with him against the Dragons at the start of the year, scored a try, defended well.

I'd rather Inglis & Hodges, then Hodges & Glen, then Hodges and Copley though!

Copley might get a spot on the wing next year. Stiff comp though with Gagai and Kemp aswell.

B

broncos777

NYC Player
Apr 6, 2010
So much for the press conference and the Inglis signing today at 10:15!

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011
NRL needs to agree to the contract, It was expected they would have by now.

Sucks that it draws out.

Hitman

Hitman

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008
*sigh*

Hey guys, once it's confirmed GI has given us or someone else his John Handcock, can someone start a CONFIRMED GI SIGNED WITH _________ thread. It's dragged on way too long and doing my head in. [icon_non

I will now just focus on our games for the rest of the year and pray for a top 4 finish. If he signs with us, I'll be happy. If he doesn't, he doesn't. We have a great side next year anyways!!!

Donny

Donny

NRL Player
Mar 31, 2010
IT'S all about distinguishing between wants and needs.

Most adult males want a Lamborghini but would sadly concede they don't need one to zip down the shops for bread and milk.

And so it is in rugby league. There's no doubt the Brisbane Broncos want Greg Inglis to head north for the winter of 2011. The $600,000 question is, do they really need to splash the vast amounts of cash to ensure their future success?

The tug-of-war over Inglis is stretching into its third week and despite the Gold Coast Titans weighing in with a late and meaty offer, the superstar centre appears to be leaning towards a stint at Red Hill, where he would link with Origin comrades such as Darren Lockyer and Sam Thaiday.

Certainly Brisbane could have done with a dash of his supreme talents last night against the Roosters.

They looked down and out against a searing Roosters outfit, led by Todd Carney, who spent the night carving holes in Brisbane's defensive wall, before embarking on a stunning comeback - only to be pipped at the post 34-30 in one of the games of the season.

Inglis might well have been the man to inject poise and power into a back line that seemed to lose its way in broken field during the first half. But Justin Hodges (remember him?) can do that when he returns from his Achilles injury, although the Broncos might have to wait until next year for that refreshing sight.

The arguments surrounding whether or not Brisbane should commit their war chest to Inglis have been played out time and again at Red Hill over the years, where players are usually reared on the home paddocks instead of being trucked in from greener pastures interstate.

Israel Folau, whose departure to AFL gives Brisbane the rare opportunity to secure a player who is even better, was one exception. Gorden Tallis another. Like Inglis, both were Queenslanders with strong ties to their home state.

For Brisbane fans, the mere idea of Inglis powering his massive torso down the turf in the old Lang Park is enough to start them salivating. With Inglis and Hodges in the centres, outside Lockyer for one more season, and Ben Hannant back in the scrum, how could they possibly be thwarted?

But if there was a flipside to Brisbane's horror start to the season, which saw a team of kids take on the big guns week after week, it's the rough diamonds that have been uncovered.

Josh Hoffman has made filling the fullback spot vacated by Karmichael Hunt look insanely easy; he's yet another classy product straight out of the Broncos talent factory.

Matt Gillett has conceded he needs to curb his offloads, one of which led to a Roosters try last night - but then he set another up for his side. But the rookie looks like he was reared in first grade football and might just be the best back-row talent the game has seen in five years.

There's little doubt that pair, along with the likes of winger Jharal Yow Yeh and the ridiculously versatile Alex Glenn, represent the future of a club demands success from its rookies and beyond.

If luring Inglis to Red Hill should jeopardise the prospects of retaining any of those future stars, is it really worth prying open the wallet and raiding the vault?

This is the question facing Brisbane's powerbrokers.

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/leag ... 10snk.html

i think this article is spot on. If we get Inglis then goood BUT if we dont then we have plenty of talent waiting to get their shot. Good on the Broncos for not buckling under the pressure and offering him even more icon_thumbs_u

F

Flutterby

International
Mar 5, 2008
Agree Donny - sums up the situation perfectly. Will be great to have him, but we don't need him.

And for all those sick of waiting to know one way or the other, this dragging on is something else you can blame on the Storm. If he stays in league, Inglis will either be with the Broncos or the Storm next year. GI wants to be here and is happy with our offer. The only thing stopping him coming is Storm agreeing to release him.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Flutterby said:
Agree Donny - sums up the situation perfectly. Will be great to have him, but we don't need him.

And for all those sick of waiting to know one way or the other, this dragging on is something else you can blame on the Storm. If he stays in league, Inglis will either be with the Broncos or the Storm next year. GI wants to be here and is happy with our offer. The only thing stopping him coming is Storm agreeing to release him.

.. and the fact that they have to top up the remainder of his current salary.

FWIW, i think they're quite willing to let him go, as long as the NRL bends the rules for them and lets them get away with not paying the gap in his contract.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
jarro65 said:
Flutterby said:

FWIW, i think they're quite willing to let him go, as long as the NRL bends the rules for them and lets them get away with not paying the gap in his contract.

^^^ This is the situation IMO. However, the Titans are trying to conjure a bigger money offer so that the Storm get out of having to top up the contract at all anyway.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008
Coxy said:
jarro65 said:
Flutterby said:

^^^ This is the situation IMO. However, the Titans are trying to conjure a bigger money offer so that the Storm get out of having to top up the contract at all anyway.

Exactly.

The Titans deal will look a lot sweeter to the Storm for purely financial reasons.

GI wants to come here .... The Storm want him to go to the Titans.

Gonna be interesting to see who wins out eusa_think

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
Could this spanker be any more up himself?
EXCLUSIVE: SOUTH Sydney co-owner Russell Crowe plans to wine and dine Greg Inglis next week in a lavish bid to lure the superstar to Redfern in 2011.
In what shapes as the Oscar winner's toughest sell since taking a hands-on role in the Rabbitohs' recruitment, Crowe wants to personally charm Inglis into continuing his career in Sydney rather than Queensland.
http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl ... 5897714135

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
ivanhungryjak said:

Who? Inglis or Crowe?

I think people need to remember what is printed in the paper and the truth are usually to separate things.

ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
OXY-351 said:
ivanhungryjak said:

Who? Inglis or Crowe?

I think people need to remember what is printed in the paper and the truth are usually to separate things.
Sorry, I should have highlighted this bit:
Crowe wants to personally charm Inglis into continuing his career in Sydney rather than Queensland.

A

Aeetee

State of Origin Rep
Mar 4, 2008
Why is he a spanker for doing what anyone of us would do if we where in the same situation. Its not like hes gunna put him on his private jet and fly him to Paris to have dinner on top of the Effiel Tower. Now that would be spankerish.

OXY-351

OXY-351

NRL Player
Oct 1, 2008
Aeetee said:
Its not like hes gunna put him on his private jet and fly him to Paris to have dinner on top of the Effiel Tower. Now that would be spankerish.

Sounds like a superman movie

simmo77

simmo77

QCup Player
Aug 3, 2009
Aeetee said:
Why is he a spanker for doing what anyone of us would do if we where in the same situation. Its not like hes gunna put him on his private jet and fly him to Paris to have dinner on top of the Effiel Tower. Now that would be spankerish.

Russels gonna whore out Paris Hilton to get Inglis????? eusa_think might work...

Twiztid

Twiztid

NRL Player
Apr 14, 2009
This has taken ages, I said there was a meeting or rumours of this on page 1.

In all seriousness though. I can't seeing us being able to afford Inglis even with the players we have yet to sign. Plus his hatred of Sydney and his girlfriend would have to be the main factors for where he plays.

It would be nice to have him to add that extra attacking flair we need. Anyways it is time to put my pipe down as I know this is just a dream.

Unread

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.