Griffin confident broncos will rebound as title contenders

What's he supposed to say to the journo? "Oh mate, I'm shitting myself that I could get sacked when we play like shit?"

Come on. And the club pressuring him before a game has been played will do nothing but harm him and the team.

If we're title contenders at all next year, it won't be because of him.

It really shits me how 3/4 of the way through last season he was still in denial about how fucking shit we were playing. He left it far too late when he dropped Wallace and Norman although they weren't entirely to blame for the 40 odd tackles we were missing per game

Hopefully the 'review' that was undertaken after last season has woken Griffin up a bit.

We all know he'll have to change a few of his ways for next year, so we won't really know what to expect until after a few rounds into 2014.

I'm hoping Walters is somewhere there in the mix next season so he can give Hook a few pointers.

People just don't seem to get. Most if what coaches say to the media is PR. It is what they say behind closed doors and at training that matters.

W t do you want him to say. He admitted we were poor this year and that himself and the team were hurting because of it. Would you rather, in an interview likely set up by Broncos management, that he said that the team were no chance of doing anything in 2014.

Last edited:
People just don't seem to get. Most if what coaches say to the media is PR. It is what they say behind closed doors and at training that matters.

W t do you want him to say. He admitted we were poor this year and that himself and the team were hurting because of it. Would you rather, in an interview likely set up by Broncos management, that he said that the team were no chance of doing anything in 2014.

What would Wayne Bennett say to the media after multiple shit performances?

What would Wayne Bennett say to the media after multiple shit performances?

When he was with us either one word answers or nothing. But there is now a rule in place that ensures coaches and 1 senior player (usually captain) front the media after a match and talk to them, which is why coaches use it to spin BS or as a PR exercise.

As I said before in is far more important what he says to players privately. If he says the same stuff that he does in a press conference, then there is an issue there, but I highly doubt he does

And if you go back through Bennett's old press conference for the Broncos I think you'll find similar stuff. Things like:

"We weren't too far off"
"We just need to keep on working"
Etc.

Also Bennett was never one for mass changes due to multiple losses. Even during our slumps, he very rarely made many changes at all

Last edited:
You want your coach to be under pressure? That's the worst thing to give an employee.

Absolutely i do. No it's not, if you have ever held a senior management position in an organisation you will understand that it is all down to results and if you have not met your kpi's or what have you, then you feel the pressure. Being in management is very much a pressure cooker environment regardless of the industry.

I'm sure he feels the pressure after this year. And all coaches deny feeling pressure. Even Eels coaches who get sacked just about every year.

So let me get this straight. If we lose it is because of Griffin, but if we win it will be in spite of Griffin. :rolleyes:

That is BHQs official position, yes. Makes sense right?

Missing the finals this year would most likely wake the whole club up and the reviews were something that had to be done. I doubt that we will contend for the title next year but we do have a roster that is capable of making the finals at least.

Hook would obviously be feeling pressure to perform as this is his career-defining year, fail this year and you're out the door. He has always been head coach during difficult periods for the club since the day he took over as coach.

I'm sure he feels the pressure after this year. And all coaches deny feeling pressure. Even Eels coaches who get sacked just about every year.
The stab at the eels made me chuckle.

I don't see the issue. Griffin can't just bag himself. And he can't say he's shitting his pants. He has to show some confidence if he wants the players to show confidence.

Reality is he probably has until Origin next year to sort his shit out. If the Broncos are already outside the 8 at that point, then expect a midseason sacking.

Nothing less than a comfortable top 8 finish (ideally top 4) will be acceptable, especially since they've recruited fairly well (other than in the halves).

I don't see the issue. Griffin can't just bag himself. And he can't say he's ****ting his pants. He has to show some confidence if he wants the players to show confidence.

Reality is he probably has until Origin next year to sort his **** out. If the Broncos are already outside the 8 at that point, then expect a midseason sacking.

Nothing less than a comfortable top 8 finish (ideally top 4) will be acceptable, especially since they've recruited fairly well (other than in the halves).

He does however have to admit it when he gets things wrong .... like interchange, or even faulty gameplans.

I really hope he mixes things up a bit next year as he showed a stubbornness last season that certainly didn't help our cause.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Gaz
  • broncoscope
  • Sproj
  • mystico
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Old Mate
  • Rookie Alan
  • Johnny92
  • Wolfie
  • FACTHUNT
  • Alec
  • Kev_Guz
  • Broncorob
  • Battler
  • Hurrijo
  • Brocko
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.