Griffin confident broncos will rebound as title contenders

We fell out of the top 8 in round 10 (before origin started) and we never made it back in.

Trying something before the last few rounds couldn't have made ANY difference except a positive one...

Easy to say in hindsight and even then, the changes people wanted (eg. Hunt > Wallace, Maranta gone etc.) were tested and failed.

Victims of the representative period, asinine draw (Warriors twice?) and a tough injury period.

When Hook had the chance to make changes, he made them. Unfortunately, we lost our best player right when we couldn't afford to lose him.

Easy to say in hindsight and even then, the changes people wanted (eg. Hunt > Wallace, Maranta gone etc.) were tested and failed.

Victims of the representative period, asinine draw (Warriors twice?) and a tough injury period.

When Hook had the chance to make changes, he made them. Unfortunately, we lost our best player right when we couldn't afford to lose him.

It isn't a matter of hindsight, most people were calling for it at the time...

Hook just couldn't see it or wouldn't do it. Either way it isn't good enough.

Completely agree with this.

During the start of the season it was a matter of giving time for new combinations to improve, especially with the new-look spine and during the origin period we were already missing enough experience and leadership across the park to make major changes.

I am not saying Hook did a good job and I also would have liked changes to be made quicker, especially dropping Norman and Giving Hunt the 7, but it is easy to see that Griffins hands were somewhat tied.

Completely agree with this.

During the start of the season it was a matter of giving time for new combinations to improve, especially with the new-look spine and during the origin period we were already missing enough experience and leadership across the park to make major changes.

I am not saying Hook did a good job and I also would have liked changes to be made quicker, especially dropping Norman and Giving Hunt the 7, but it is easy to see that Griffins hands were somewhat tied.

It was hardly that new of a spine bar the introduction of Sçott Prince. I think the Broncos have been thriving off the 'baby broncos' label as an excuse to say oh it just will take a little more time etc. Most of these guys have been together for a good 5 years. Enough excuses already, and please don't blame the origin period, it is a scapegoat i want no part of.

It isn't a matter of hindsight, most people were calling for it at the time...

Hook just couldn't see it or wouldn't do it. Either way it isn't good enough.

Hook did make changes though, they just didn't work out one way or the other.

I know that fans called for changes, but it's easy to say Hook got it wrong after the fact. I get the feeling that Hook was caught between a rock and a hard place and the alternatives weren't any better or arguably worse than what we had. Who knows for instance if Bond would have made a difference.

No. I am not saying they shouldn't be encouraged, in fact i said they should.and if you think for some strange reason that we wouldn't implement or have implemented all possible means to help people succeed, then you are crazy. We are a successful organisation for a reason. Also If you think slackers deserve to have their performances sugar coated, then you probably agree with all the unfair dismissal laws that have crippled small business.
You don't sugarcoat performances, you analyse them and address what needs addressing without adding pressure. I doubt the success of your company is due to aggressive pressure on its employees, but more thanks to "all possible means to help people succeed".

If you think that anyone will perform better with the axe hanging over their head, instead of the support and backup or your organisation or superior(s), then you're a fool.
Nothing will make a person work harder and better than the knowledge that their superior has their back. I know I have the respect of everyone in my teams, because they know anyone trying to get to them, will have to go through me first.

This has nothing to do with unfair dismissal btw. When someone doesn't perform despite having been given all the tools and support needed, he has to go. Allowing small businesses to dismiss someone without so much as a reason was archaic and the reason for work choices failure. Quite a few companies used that subterfuge to replace perfectly capable employees for other, simply because they were cheaper and less demanding of their rights.

Hook did make changes though, they just didn't work out one way or the other.

I know that fans called for changes, but it's easy to say Hook got it wrong after the fact. I get the feeling that Hook was caught between a rock and a hard place and the alternatives weren't any better or arguably worse than what we had. Who knows for instance if Bond would have made a difference.

Honestly what significant changes did he make before round 20?

You don't sugarcoat performances, you analyse them and address what needs addressing without adding pressure. I doubt the success of your company is due to aggressive pressure on its employees, but more thanks to "all possible means to help people succeed".

If you think that anyone will perform better with the axe hanging over their head, instead of the support and backup or your organisation or superior(s), then you're a fool.
Nothing will make a person work harder and better than the knowledge that their superior has their back. I know I have the respect of everyone in my teams, because they know anyone trying to get to them, will have to go through me first.

This has nothing to do with unfair dismissal btw. When someone doesn't perform despite having been given all the tools and support needed, he has to go. Allowing small businesses to dismiss someone without so much as a reason was archaic and the reason for work choices failure. Quite a few companies used that subterfuge to replace perfectly capable employees for other, simply because they were cheaper and less demanding of their rights.

I get that, and i am not saying that a person needs to have the axe over their head as a way of performing better, what i am saying and it all goes back to the hook article is that if he is feeling no internal pressure at all then he has clearly been told that despite all his major short comings he has done a good job, which by the new age broncos standards wouldn't shock me. I'm not going to debate policy/politics on here not the time or the place so ill just agree to disagree with you.

I get that, and i am not saying that a person needs to have the axe over their head as a way of performing better, what i am saying and it all goes back to the hook article is that if he is feeling no internal pressure at all then he has clearly been told that despite all his major short comings he has done a good job, which by the new age broncos standards wouldn't shock me. I'm not going to debate policy/politics on here not the time or the place so ill just agree to disagree with you.

It's a newspaper article, why can't you understand the club or the coach wouldn't admit to pressure as it would be a terrible look and the media would spin it terribly

I think you need to work on your reading between the lines if you really took out of that article that Hook is feeling no internal pressure...

There has clearly been an evaluation, where the outcome was that one of the main failures was the conditioning and performance of the athletes. There probably aren't many clubs in Australia with better conditions for their athletes than the Broncos, so the responsible people have been rightfully dismissed and the best of Australia (at least Alex Corbo) have been hired.

It was also clear that the playing stocks and depth was not adequate, which meant the Broncos started an aggressive external recruitment strategy, which has already bared fruits with the acquisitions of Barba, Kennedy, Lowrie, Vidot and Mills, as well as the release of quite a few players, including 3/4's of the spine (Wallace, Prince, Norman). Rumours about Smith, DCE and especially Milford are constantly raising their head, which at least means we're still pursuing another player to strengthen our ranks and solidify our future.

If they already identified all of the above, they surely haven't ignored the appalling defense (especially the shocking amount of missed tackles) and the lack of offensive solutions/set plays/options... which are obviously Hook's main shortcomings in the last seasons.

The Broncos management must have concluded that not only the harsh circumstances (injury toll like never before in the backline), but the above mentioned issues, meant Hook didn't have all the means and tools to succeed, and are now working hard to give him what he needs.

Hook knows that all of the above means he has the backing of the board to do a job, but also that he doesn't have any more excuses now...

Last edited:
It's a newspaper article, why can't you understand the club or the coach wouldn't admit to pressure as it would be a terrible look and the media would spin it terribly

Because i believe the article is no doubt an insight into what is really going on at the broncos.

I think you need to work on your reading between the lines if you really took out of that article that Hook is feeling no internal pressure...

There has clearly been an evaluation, where the outcome was that one of the main failures was the conditioning and performance of the athletes. There probably aren't many clubs in Australia with better conditions for their athletes than the Broncos, so the responsible people have been rightfully dismissed and the best of Australia (at least Alex Corbo) have been hired.

It was also clear that the playing stocks and depth was not adequate, which meant the Broncos started an aggressive external recruitment strategy, which has already bared fruits with the acquisitions of Barba, Kennedy, Lowrie, Vidot and Mills, as well as the release of quite a few players, including 3/4's of the spine (Wallace, Prince, Norman). Rumours about Smith, DCE and especially Milford are constantly raising their head, which at least means we're still pursuing another player to strengthen our ranks and solidify our future.

If they already identified all of the above, they surely haven't ignored the appalling defense (especially the shocking amount of missed tackles) and the lack of offensive solutions/set plays/options... which are obviously Hook's main shortcomings in the last seasons.

The Broncos management must have concluded that not only the harsh circumstances (injury toll like never before in the backline), but the above mentioned issues, meant Hook didn't have all the means and tools to succeed, and are now working hard to give him what he needs.

Hook knows that all of the above means he has the backing of the board to do a job, but also that he doesn't have any more excuses now...

I take my hat off to you and believe you have put me in my place after that.

I take my hat off to you and believe you have put me in my place after that.
Haha, nah mate. Wasn't putting you in any place at all. Just debating opinions and views!

But glad I was able to pull you out of the dark side... :cheers:

I am prepared to give him a good go at it this season before I condemn him to the heap

The Lurker on Sportal says that Kevvie will sign on as an assistant very soon.

....and if that isn't pressure, then I don't know what is. Assuming Kev signs of course.

Active Now

• kiwibronco
  • Shane Tronc
  • sooticus
  • HarryAllan7
  • Dash
  • FACTHUNT
  • Broncosgirl
  • RolledOates
  • Harry Sack
  • Old Mate
  • teampjta
  • Lurker
  • ivanhungryjak
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.