NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Does the media ever not muddy the waters with Broncos signings. Staggs, Nui, Piakura, Reynolds and you can add many more, all signed elsewhere until they weren't. The only one that was different was Hynes, he was here until he wasn't which makes you wonder about that.
This is really a non issue, he stay until his contact is done on unders or he gets an early upgrade with an extension. His choice, i think i know the one that makes sense.

Does the media ever not muddy the waters with Broncos signings. Staggs, Nui, Piakura, Reynolds and you can add many more, all signed elsewhere until they weren't. The only one that was different was Hynes, he was here until he wasn't which makes you wonder about that.
This is really a non issue, he stay until his contact is done on unders or he gets an early upgrade with an extension. His choice, i think i know the one that makes sense.
You only notice the Broncos stories because you follow the Broncos and the media that cover the Broncos. It's the same with every club, but in their own media bubble. There's only one worse thing than being talked about...

As just one example, how much did you hear about Shaun Johnson?

Trebling down. Note "has approved" and "offer." "Finalised" suggests they're still in negotiation.

I did like seeing someone point out that we all know what Badel is doing.

I did like seeing someone point out that we all know what Badel is doing.
Have to be admit, I thought of you when I saw that comment. Payne will sign though. You know that, right?

Any negativie media around the current Hass situation is just media trying to stick the boot in one last time.

Their ammuntion is drying up. We no longer get flogged week in week out. We no longer lose players we make it clear we want to keep. Come the offseason the ability to generate negative press around us will be gone.

In two weeks time the finals will begin and the broncos from a media point of view will be irrelevant as people will only care about the finals. So this is one last hurrah.

When you break it down here's the story: A guy who isn't off contract for 2 years hasnt signed a 3 year upgrade yet because a contract may or may not have been drawn up for yet because the deal may or may not have been approved by the board yet? It's about as logical as Brisbane signing Jaelen Feeney for 2025 because he brought a dog off corey Paix who's 3rd cousin is Ben Hunt who is arch enemies with James Maloney because he Hates people who BBQ alone.

Its clutching at straws to make a non event into a big deal.

Dont know why there is all this drama over Badel, the bloke is a scumbag of the highest order. No respect at all for him. Awful human being.
Is this opinion based on personal knowledge? (Not having a shot, genuinely curious)

Yep, its personal knowledge. Not going to post it publically but happy to let you know privately.
Badel after stumbling across this as he scrolls through BHQ

sweating key and peele GIF

I want Payne to extend his stay more than anyone. But, from Payne’s perspective (and only considering money), taking the upgrade isn’t necessarily a no-brainer.

Assuming he currently averages $600k for the next three years and our new offer is $900k for 6 years - he’d only need to wait and secure a 3 year deal @ $1.2m elsewhere from 2025 to essentially break even. Some club would offer that.

We still need to keep him happy.

You only notice the Broncos stories because you follow the Broncos and the media that cover the Broncos. It's the same with every club, but in their own media bubble. There's only one worse thing than being talked about...

As just one example, how much did you hear about Shaun Johnson?
I read a few stories about Shaun, but I don't recall anyone saying he was going back to the Warriors. Sure there is speculation about players and I get your point, I probably don't notice it as much. But it does feel like we get a shit tone of news when ever we have a contract coming up or blood a player ect.

I read a few stories about Shaun, but I don't recall anyone saying he was going back to the Warriors. Sure there is speculation about players and I get your point, I probably don't notice it as much. But it does feel like we get a shit tone of news when ever we have a contract coming up or blood a player ect.
We get a shit ton of news and we have a shit ton of fans. The two tend to go together. More people are interested in the Broncos than any other club. I'm okay with that. I'll read anything about the Broncos, no matter who shitty it is. Contrast that with living in Melbourne and having to suffer wall to wall AFL.

Active Now

• kat00
  • broncs30
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Old Mate
  • davidp
  • Manofoneway
  • Broncosgirl
  • Volvo Driver
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Battler
  • ostin86
  • NSW stables
  • Broncos Maestro
  • phoenix
  • Dash
  • Foordy
  • Strop
  • bert_lifts
  • IceWorks
... and 45 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.