NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Fresh candid interview with Payne. Interesting comments on his relationship with Kevvie and not wanting to play 80 minutes. Too young to remember the Broncos legends Kevvie goes on about all the time. Says he's leaving the contract up to others to worry about. That there's stuff going on behind the scenes, but nothing to announce...

Sounds pretty positive actually. Especially Ben Ikin.

Fresh candid interview with Payne. Interesting comments on his relationship with Kevvie and not wanting to play 80 minutes. Too young to remember the Broncos legends Kevvie goes on about all the time. Says he's leaving the contract up to others to worry about. That there's stuff going on behind the scenes, but nothing to announce...

That does not fill me with confidence at all.
Not even the slightest suggestion of wanting to stay at the club when pressed about his contract.

I really do have a bad feeling about this whole situation, even though he will be here for the next few seasons.

This has the potential to end extremely bad for us.
One could assume that Payne wouldn't be stoked that this has leaked out into the public.
All discussions should have been kept in house until finalised, for the respect of both parties.
This latest saga, along with Payne losing close mates ie Fifita, TPJ & Lodge could be a deciding factor whether he decides to extend or back himself and look at his options in a couple of years. Every NRL club would be chasing him, no doubt. He and his manager aren't silly, they would be well aware.
Surely DD & Ikin should have handled this a little better especially with who is privy to such conversions behind closed doors.
Also, if I were the Broncos, I would be giving little to no comments/info to these jurnos. They potentially can ruin clubs with info like this leaking out into the public.
Lastly, you don't see these kind of things leaked at the successful clubs ie Teddy at the Rosters or any of the big names at the Storm.

Lets hope this doesn't cost us.

It's a bit soon to get worried about any of this. Here's what we know:

1. Payne has never at any point commented on what he wants. The ten years at $1mill. That came from the club via the press. It was never credible. Payne has never complained about the money he's on, but we all know he's currently underpaid.

2. The only source that said a deal's been finalized is the headline in the CM, which was immediately contradicted by the body copy. Badel has doubled down with confidence it will happen, and we know he badgers Walters, Donaghy and Ikin all day.

3. We don't know what Payne's manager has said to Badel or Weidler.

4. Whenever the club's legal has attempted to cover its arse, it's turned out to a stalling tactic every time.

5. On a more troubling note, we can be sure Fifita is in Payne's ear telling him how to play the contract game. Fifita famously changed his mind a hundred times. Every journalist got wrongfooted during that. And so did the club.
Cept there can only be 1 offer. so it's a different game. not sure Dave would be my go to deal advisor.

23AD676D 7487 4821 BCAD 7BF308D9BB05

One could assume that Payne wouldn't be stoked that this has leaked out into the public.
All discussions should have been kept in house until finalised, for the respect of both parties.
This latest saga, along with Payne losing close mates ie Fifita, TPJ & Lodge could be a deciding factor whether he decides to extend or back himself and look at his options in a couple of years. Every NRL club would be chasing him, no doubt. He and his manager aren't silly, they would be well aware.
Surely DD & Ikin should have handled this a little better especially with who is privy to such conversions behind closed doors.
Also, if I were the Broncos, I would be giving little to no comments/info to these jurnos. They potentially can ruin clubs with info like this leaking out into the public.
Lastly, you don't see these kind of things leaked at the successful clubs ie Teddy at the Rosters or any of the big names at the Storm.

I think you are right about the potential to end really bad. Doesnt sound or look great currently, although on the flipside he hasnt shown or stated any desire previously to play for anyone else even through the shit show that has been the last 2 seasons.

To be honest if he were to play the mates card then maybe he should pack his bags now and go and hold the hands of one of them because those 3 blokes as good as they were at times have all left for bigger money because they think they deserve it not because they actually do. I get players are worth what clubs are willing to pay, however we are paying big chunks of TPJ and Lodge which means the clubs they are at/going to dont actually value them as highly as we once did.

As I said in a post in one of the other threads, I would have no qualms in him saying to the board this is what I need to extend (seems like Reynolds did this) and they just give it to him. He wont turn into Taumalolo or others before him that have signed long term deals

Broncos are just saying it hasn’t been finalised but that’s it.

Says to me the rumour is true and they are still ironing out the details
Which rumor? The rumor he is signing with us, or the rumor he is refusing to?

I think you are right about the potential to end really bad. Doesnt sound or look great currently, although on the flipside he hasnt shown or stated any desire previously to play for anyone else even through the shit show that has been the last 2 seasons.

To be honest if he were to play the mates card then maybe he should pack his bags now and go and hold the hands of one of them because those 3 blokes as good as they were at times have all left for bigger money because they think they deserve it not because they actually do. I get players are worth what clubs are willing to pay, however we are paying big chunks of TPJ and Lodge which means the clubs they are at/going to dont actually value them as highly as we once did.

As I said in a post in one of the other threads, I would have no qualms in him saying to the board this is what I need to extend (seems like Reynolds did this) and they just give it to him. He wont turn into Taumalolo or others before him that have signed long term deals

I don't think there's any real drama here from Payne's side. His manager is dealing with the contract, and these guys are the greatest pack of sharks in the business. There's no insult to Payne in implying he's about to sign the longest contract in the club's history at an undisclosed amount. His manager has told him not to bother commenting. No harm done to anyone in any of this except us getting our hopes up.

There's some gamemanship going on here but we can't tell who's pulling whose strings.

Not sure why DD and the bespectacled one have allowed this sort of scuttlebutt to happen. It's obvious somebody is leaking info to Badel/Dobbo. I'd love to see all this shit speculation canned. Maybe the statement form the club will become a thing and the clickbait will eventually be killed off. Not holding my breath though.

Any leak isn't necessarily coming from the club ... there is another party involved in these negotiations, a party that happens to get 5%

News Ltd breaks a story that is a load of rubbish based on comments from someone in the organisation. Sounds eerily like the old regime, now who could it be that is still in a position of authority at the club and works for News Ltd? I have no idea who this likely leak is but I do wonder if Karl Weathers or Morris Moss would know?

The deal went to the board, once that happens, they have no control over what happens then and one of those board members works for News Ltd, would not be a surprising 2 and 2 to add together.

News Ltd breaks a story that is a load of rubbish based on comments from someone in the organisation. Sounds eerily like the old regime, now who could it be that is still in a position of authority at the club and works for News Ltd? I have no idea who this likely leak is but I do wonder if Karl Weathers or Morris Moss would know?
No one is saying the story is a "load of rubbish."

Badel directly quoted Kevvie, Donuts and Ben. The gist of it being they see him as a future leader. Is that a carrot in closing the deal? Let's just enjoy the show.

Badel directly quoted Kevvie, Donuts and Ben. The gist of it being they see him as a future leader. Is that a carrot in closing the deal? Let's just enjoy the show.

I, like Badel, didn't read any of the articles carefully but I don't think any of those three said a deal was done or imminent did they? So that part has most likely either been made up or come from somewhere else.

I, like Badel, didn't read any of the articles carefully but I don't think any of those three said a deal was done or imminent did they? So that part has most likely either been made up or come from somewhere else.
Here is the CM's response to the club's statement. Note the word "finalised."

ScreenScreenshot 2021 08 26 at 09 28 46 Broncos respond to staggering report

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Morkel
  • FACTHUNT
  • Spoon
  • Stix
  • Tim K
  • Fatboy
  • I bleed Maroon
  • sooticus
  • Fitzy
  • westy316
  • KateBroncos1812
  • HarryAllan7
  • Alec
  • armchair
  • Johnny92
  • jarro65
  • Bucking Beads
  • NSW stables
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.