NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

lol what a load of bs. He still has 3 years left on his current contract, so he's not anywhere near the point where he can negotiate with other clubs. So either he signs a new contract with brisbane or he does nothing and life continues on for the forseeable future. Unless there's some inside garbage going on I fail to see where the drama is coming from. He's been through the dark times the past few years, I'd find it hard to believe there would be issues now since the club is on an upward trajectory now with all the cancer removed. I hate NRL journos.

Petie Badel has earned back a lot of credibility this year, let’s hope his good form continues with this one. @McHunt say something comforting.
Thats why I tagged the story “Developing.” It’s not over the line yet. The CM headline had a whiff of jumped gun. I keep saying it’s happening in editorial not the journalists. This is a perfect example. Badel is saying it WILL happen. The paper has headlined it HAS happened.

Badel’s piece came with quotes from club officials. Weidler’s is an unsourced rumour, apropos of nothing. But I’m sure he’s not just making it up. The winner is Payne.

Just for arguments sake, if he isn't going to extend and is unhappy with his contract, this will be the first big test of our new policy that DD talked about with us not being dicked around by players with contracts.

I'm confused about why "the Brisbane bronco's are trying to contact Payne Hass tonight".

It's not like a club has just come in and offered him a 2 million dollar deal and we need to try and counter that. I seriously doubt the club contact a player every time a news story comes out about them?

The bloke is signed until 2024, he can't field offers or sign with another club until November 1 2023. How is there "Drama ahead".

Give yourself an uppercut Danny. Pete and Dobbo can also give themselves uppercuts if the deal isn't actually over the line and they're putting 2 and 2 together and getting a camel as the answer.

Just for arguments sake, if he isn't going to extend and is unhappy with his contract, this will be the first big test of our new policy that DD talked about with us not being dicked around by players with contracts.
Payne isn't dicking anyone around. How can Payne comment on a deal that hasn't been passed by the board yet? On the other hand, a journalist is welcome to speculate on whether the board will pass it, and with confidence if he's been told they will.

I guess it depends. It’s not quite like Staggs or Fifita purely because he has 3 years left anyway. As long as he’s playing well you’d just make the decision deadline November 2023.

I guess it depends. It’s not quite like Staggs or Fifita purely because he has 3 years left anyway. As long as he’s playing well you’d just make the decision deadline November 2023.
The notion that he can't be contacted when he'll be at training this morning. Who's buying that?

Payne isn't dicking anyone around. How can Payne comment on a deal that hasn't been passed by the board yet? On the other hand, a journalist is welcome to speculate on whether the board will pass it, and with confidence if he's been told they will.
Never said he was.

I'm confused about why "the Brisbane bronco's are trying to contact Payne Hass tonight".

It's not like a club has just come in and offered him a 2 million dollar deal and we need to try and counter that. I seriously doubt the club contact a player every time a news story comes out about them?

The bloke is signed until 2024, he can't field offers or sign with another club until November 1 2023. How is there "Drama ahead".

Give yourself an uppercut Danny. Pete and Dobbo can also give themselves uppercuts if the deal isn't actually over the line and they're putting 2 and 2 together and getting a camel as the answer.
Drama

Screenshot 20210826 072410 Chrome

Havent clicked and would advise nobody else click either, because that is what they want.

It's likely a rehash of the Badel and Dobbo rumours with some Danny tweet on top and a whole bunch of sensationalist words to tie it up.

This is all Danny was looking to do with his tweet and all the 'drama ahead'

For those of you who don't have access to this. Here's how the story was broken:

This bit was written by Badel. It may not be his exact words because it will have been passed through a copy editor. Regardless, the key phrases are "set to formally approve" and "News Corp can reveal." This implies Badel has been told the majority shareholder is on board, and it's as good as done on the Broncos end. Neither Payne nor his agent are quoted. This is why I class it as "developing."

ScreenScreenshot 2021 08 26 at 07 23 19 Broncos approve multimillion dollar Payne Haas deal

This bit appeared on the front page. It will have been written by editorial staff. At first glance it appears misleading, but that depends on who you define as "Broncos." Whether this sleight of hand is deliberate or sloppy we don't know.

ScreenScreenshot 2021 08 26 at 07 22 46 Broncos Broncos NRL Team The Courier Mail

This bit sits above the story, and confuses the framing in consecutive sentences, and again, was written by copy editors, not the journalist. Your guess is as good as mine how or why this happened.

ScreenScreenshot 2021 08 26 at 07 23 08 Broncos approve multimillion dollar Payne Haas deal

Before you launch into Badel over him allowing this to happen, it doesn't work that way. Editorial sits between the journalist and the publication. He can complain, and maybe did, but it's out of his hands at this point.

Drama

View attachment 14838

Havent clicked and would advise nobody else click either, because that is what they want.

It's likely a rehash of the Badel and Dobbo rumours with some Danny tweet on top and a whole bunch of sensationalist words to tie it up.

This is all Danny was looking to do with his tweet and all the 'drama ahead'
How can one comment on a piece without reading it? But you're right anyway, the source is Danny Weidler, and there's nothing else in it:

Club statement:

“Payne is contracted with our club until the end of 2024. “Reports that an extension to his existing contract has been finalised are incorrect.”

Active Now

• Jazza
  • Spoon
  • Bucking Beads
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Fozz
  • Griffo
  • Brocko
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Santa
  • Slippin Jimmy
  • Totally Unr3al
  • winslow_wong
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.