NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

How can one comment on a piece without reading it? But you're right anyway, the source is Danny Weidler, and there's nothing else in it:

I have a look at the headline and piece together what's already been mentioned here and have a guess at what kind of angle they are trying to push.

To me they are trying to push a "Brisbane in turmoil as speculation/ confusion increases on Haas contract extension" mixed with a little "Brisbane in shambles"

It's just Fox reporting on journos, but there's no real substance to any story one way or the other at this stage given Badel and Dobbo reported it late yesterday and Danny sending a tweet from Sydney

I have a look at the headline and piece together what's already been mentioned here and have a guess at what kind of angle they are trying to push.

To me they are trying to push a "Brisbane in turmoil as speculation/ confusion increases on Haas contract extension" mixed with a little "Brisbane in shambles"

It's just Fox reporting on journos, but there's no real substance to any story one way or the other at this stage given Badel and Dobbo reported it late yesterday and Danny sending a tweet from Sydney
An even better idea is to read it if you're interested in the subject. It's free.

So weidler probably called haas at night and haas probably just lol’d and rejected the call.

Why do i have a bad feeling about this.
Because we went through all that shit with his mate Fifita last year. And he sticks out like dog's balls as the only player we really want to keep. But more recently, we also went through this same fiasco with Capewell, Lodge, Dearden and TPJ. Which all ended advantage Badel.

It's premature to count our chickens on this one, right now.

Club statement:

“Payne is contracted with our club until the end of 2024. “Reports that an extension to his existing contract has been finalised are incorrect.”

How refreshing to see our official website posting news in real-time. Normally they're days behind and the last place to get news about the club's affairs.

But then they would get the click 👍👍
Dude, seriously. Use an adblocker if you're that paranoid that someone might get paid for their time. Ask @Nashy for recommendations.

Not sure why DD and the bespectacled one have allowed this sort of scuttlebutt to happen. It's obvious somebody is leaking info to Badel/Dobbo. I'd love to see all this shit speculation canned. Maybe the statement form the club will become a thing and the clickbait will eventually be killed off. Not holding my breath though.

Surely Dave bad Ben would keep this type of process behind closed doors. It’s either loose lips sink ships or Dobbo and company are trying to keep their jobs By manufacturing a scoop.

****, this won’t end well.
Not sure why DD and the bespectacled one have allowed this sort of scuttlebutt to happen. It's obvious somebody is leaking info to Badel/Dobbo. I'd love to see all this shit speculation canned. Maybe the statement form the club will become a thing and the clickbait will eventually be killed off. Not holding my breath though.
It's a bit soon to get worried about any of this. Here's what we know:

1. Payne has never at any point commented on what he wants. The ten years at $1mill. That came from the club via the press. It was never credible. Payne has never complained about the money he's on, but we all know he's currently underpaid.

2. The only source that said a deal's been finalized is the headline in the CM, which was immediately contradicted by the body copy. Badel has doubled down with confidence it will happen, and we know he badgers Walters, Donaghy and Ikin all day.

3. We don't know what Payne's manager has said to Badel or Weidler.

4. Whenever the club's legal has attempted to cover its arse, it's turned out to a stalling tactic every time.

5. On a more troubling note, we can be sure Fifita is in Payne's ear telling him how to play the contract game. Fifita famously changed his mind a hundred times. Every journalist got wrongfooted during that. And so did the club.

Leak was probably our illustrious chairman.

Clubs dont usually release a statement that quickly, but Bennet renigged on the roosters after a leak so potentially they are just looking to protect their negotiations with Haas.

If his new extension includes a pay bump for 2022 then I'm guessing all parties will probably want it sorted out prior to November 1

Leak was probably our illustrious chairman.
481a89f1b4619683d54e79debd5c0b4d

It's a bit soon to get worried about any of this. Here's what we know:

1. Payne has never at any point commented on what he wants. The ten years at $1mill. That came from the club via the press. It was never credible. Payne has never complained about the money he's on, but we all know he's currently underpaid.

2. The only source that said a deal's been finalized is the headline in the CM, which was immediately contradicted by the body copy. Badel has doubled down with confidence it will happen, and we know he badgers Walters, Donaghy and Ikin all day.

3. We don't know what Payne's manager has said to Badel or Weidler.

4. Whenever the club's legal has attempted to cover its arse, it's turned out to a stalling tactic every time.

5. On a more troubling note, we can be sure Fifita is in Payne's ear telling him how to play the contract game. Fifita famously changed his mind a hundred times. Every journalist got wrongfooted during that. And so did the club.
It’s the last paragraph that gets me to freak out a pinch.

Club statement:

“Payne is contracted with our club until the end of 2024. “Reports that an extension to his existing contract has been finalised are incorrect.”

Oh dear.

I hope Payne or his management didn't ask the club to clarify this, because that wouldn't be a great sign.

Oh dear.

I hope Payne or his management didn't ask the club to clarify this, because that wouldn't be a great sign.
The Courier Mail put it top story, front page last night with the headline "Broncos approve" or something like that. Even though Badel said otherwise. The club had to say something.

Fresh candid interview with Payne. Interesting comments on his relationship with Kevvie and not wanting to play 80 minutes. Too young to remember the Broncos legends Kevvie goes on about all the time. Says he's leaving the contract up to others to worry about. That there's stuff going on behind the scenes, but nothing to announce...

Active Now

• Behind enemy lines
  • Lurker
  • Wolfie
  • Fozz
  • Waynesaurus
  • Jazza
  • Spoon
  • Bucking Beads
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Griffo
  • Brocko
  • TonyTheJugoslav
  • Santa
  • Slippin Jimmy
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.