NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Here is the CM's response to the club's statement. Note the word "finalised."

View attachment 14842

So obviously, someone has either jumped the gun or made a lot of this up. Given the deal has gone to the board and Kevvie has reportedly been removed from player contract discussions, I know who I think it has come from and there is form there.

So obviously, someone has either jumped the gun or made a lot of this up. Given the deal has gone to the board and Kevvie has reportedly been removed from player contract discussions, I know who I think it has come from and there is form there.
Who?

There's only one source on this: Peter Badel, our one and only source into the scandalous lives of Brisbane's elite.

There's only one source on this: Peter Badel, our one and only source into the scandalous lives of Brisbane's elite.

Well then this is yet another admission he makes things up.

Has anyone actually jumped the gun?

The rumour was the board will formally approve an extension. Keyword here is will. They didn’t say the board have.

The Broncos then come out and say no deal has been finalised, but not that they aren’t currently sorting out a deal and won’t approve it.

Well then this is yet another admission he makes things up.
I tell you what, I'll make a bet with you: if there's no substance in this, I'll change my signature to PETER BADEL IS A ****. But if it pans out, you have to change your signature to PETER BADEL IS A LEGEND.

Deal?

I believe it even fits your remedial English definition of an "exclusive."

Screenshot 2021 08 26 at 10 03 36 The Courier Mail Breaking News Headlines for Brisbane and Qu

Has anyone actually jumped the gun?

The rumour was the board will formally approve an extension. Keyword here is will. They didn’t say the board have.

The Broncos then come out and say no deal has been finalised, but not that they aren’t currently sorting out a deal and won’t approve it.
Yes, Courier Mail editorial. Read this post:

That does not fill me with confidence at all.
Not even the slightest suggestion of wanting to stay at the club when pressed about his contract.

I really do have a bad feeling about this whole situation, even though he will be here for the next few seasons.

Same.

Reminds me of Oates, I want a be a Bronco for life, next minute he says I have signed with The Storm.

What have you heard that may be different to what has been discussed here?

One rumour is he only wants to sign a one year extension because he wants to join the new team when it comes into the comp. Which doesn’t make sense because if that were the case he wouldn’t be asking for an extension at all.

What have you heard that may be different to what has been discussed here?

Heard ages ago that he wants out & doesn't get on with Kevvie. And SBW & Mundine are in his ear & pushing the Muslim angle with him to join the Dogs.

Same.

Reminds me of Oates, I want a be a Bronco for life, next minute he says I have signed with The Storm.
Oh no, not Corey! SOURCE!!!

One rumour is he only wants to sign a one year extension because he wants to join the new team when it comes into the comp. Which doesn’t make sense because if that were the case he wouldn’t be asking for an extension at all.
Where did that rumour come from? Can't blame anyone for leaving that option open tbh. Which makes keeping Payne doubly important.

If that were the case he would be locked until 2025 when whoever the new team is might be 2 years old. Thats if it even goes ahead, they were supposed to be deciding who gets the new license earlier in the week but have not seen anything more about it.

Its smart on one hand to potentially hold out for the new team and become the marquee/a foundation player, however if it doesnt go ahead then what?

He can be a marquee player with us and even though we are down in the dumps now we are a better shot at winning a comp before the new team is!

Active Now

• Santa
  • Porthoz
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.