NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

Heard ages ago that he wants out & doesn't get on with Kevvie. And SBW & Mundine are in his ear & pushing the Muslim angle with him to join the Dogs.
How will that even be possible with the amount of coin theyve spent on getting half a new team for next year, not many of them have come cheap either...they are busting the cap now with what theyve got and signed to the point they are trying to punt Thompson (although they may have just got the scapegoat they wanted in Elliott)?

I get those 2 muppets might be in his ear but neither of them a trustworthy individuals...

How will that even be possible with the amount of coin theyve spent on getting half a new team for next year, not many of them have come cheap either...they are busting the cap now with what theyve got and signed to the point they are trying to punt Thompson (although they may have just got the scapegoat they wanted in Elliott)?

I get those 2 muppets might be in his ear but neither of them a trustworthy individuals...

SBW is buddies with TPJ.

One rumour is he only wants to sign a one year extension because he wants to join the new team when it comes into the comp. Which doesn’t make sense because if that were the case he wouldn’t be asking for an extension at all.
There isn’t gonna be a new team. Not for a while. And we Won’t even know who for a long time. Sounds like garbage to me.

SBW is buddies with TPJ.
That changes the Bulldogs cap issues how?

Yes the bulldogs have on paper got a much better team from next season but realistically he would be going from a lowly team to an even lower one...and as is the million dollar question (quite literally in this case) what would they even be able to offer him...would have to be more than what we can give him

I tell you what, I'll make a bet with you: if there's no substance in this, I'll change my signature to PETER BADEL IS A ****. But if it pans out, you have to change your signature to PETER BADEL IS A LEGEND.

Deal?

I believe it even fits your remedial English definition of an "exclusive."

View attachment 14843

I tell you what, it is obvious there is something to this and at some point, whether in the short-term or not, he will have to re-sign or not, so if Payne extends in the next week, I will put Badel is a Legend in a signature until the end of the year and if not, you put in what you said.

Heard ages ago that he wants out & doesn't get on with Kevvie. And SBW & Mundine are in his ear & pushing the Muslim angle with him to join the Dogs.
Sorry but this isn't true, and I know this for a fact.

He 100% has no interest in joining the dogs. The one club he would be interested in is Melbourne but if we become a better team he'll change his mind. Our turnaround in the last month with the players we have coming, it's no coincidence he's in talks for an extension.

I tell you what, it is obvious there is something to this and at some point, whether in the short-term or not, he will have to re-sign or not, so if Payne extends in the next week, I will put Badel is a Legend in a signature until the end of the year and if not, you put in what you said.
Nope. That's not what Badel said. He said after the season ends. I would take your side of that bet too.

Has anyone actually jumped the gun?

The rumour was the board will formally approve an extension. Keyword here is will. They didn’t say the board have.

The Broncos then come out and say no deal has been finalised, but not that they aren’t currently sorting out a deal and won’t approve it.
Goodness me. Only just saw this. Looks like Dobbo has extrapolated the Courier Mail headline into a scoop:

If I had to pick a side, it's definitely Badel. I don't have any Intel that he's signed or anything, but with what I've heard second hand he likes Kevvie, and if the club starts to win and looks like it's going somewhere he's keen to stay.

Also do the maths. 3 years on 500k, or 6 years on 800-900k. Any manager with any clue would not only agree to that, they would push their client hard to agree. There is no deal he could sign after 2024 that would net him more money than just extending before 2022.

Whatever. If he signs within a week of the season ending then.
Can't agree to that either. I'm only willing to back Badel on this gist of what he wrote, and his timeframe isn't that specific. The piece is way more conservative than that headline suggests. Keyword "expected." He used that qualifier on Tesi's contract, and the Broncos pipped it by several hours.

ScreenScreenshot 2021 08 26 at 10 57 44 Broncos approve multimillion dollar Payne Haas deal

If I had to pick a side, it's definitely Badel. I don't have any Intel that he's signed or anything, but with what I've heard second hand he likes Kevvie, and if the club starts to win and looks like it's going somewhere he's keen to stay.

Also do the maths. 3 years on 500k, or 6 years on 800-900k. Any manager with any clue would not only agree to that, they would push their client hard to agree. There is no deal he could sign after 2024 that would net him more money than just extending before 2022.
It’s smart from us, the kind of shit we haven’t been doing for a long time.

he’d be mad not to sign it

Can't agree to that either. I'm only willing to back Badel on this gist of what he wrote, and his timeframe isn't that specific. The piece is way more conservative than that headline suggests. Keyword "expected." He used that qualifier on Tesi's contract, and the Broncos pipped it by several hours.

View attachment 14844

Right, so Haas will be offered a new contract at some point in the future, likely at the end of this season, I could have come up with that.

The way this has occurred and its timing, I can only assume the leak came directly from someone on the board, which is a big fucking issue and i hope it is pursued.
I would put money on his manager leaking it so other clubs might pipe in and put some negotiation pressure back on the club, but DD is smart and he knows the game well.

Active Now

• Fitzy
  • Stix
  • GCBRONCO
  • Sproj
  • Organix
  • Culhwch
  • Johnny92
  • Morkel
  • Mustafur
  • BRC088
  • BroncosAlways
  • Bish
  • FACTHUNT
  • bazza
  • big k
  • Battler
  • RolledOates
  • broncos4life
  • Harry Sack
  • Skyblues87
... and 8 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.