NEWS Haas gets pay bump, long term deal in holding pattern

News LTD is reporting the Broncos board will formally approve a 3 year extension to Payne Haas' existing contract to tie him up for another 6 years. Money not mentioned, but there is talk of grooming him for future captaincy. The deal appears to be done, but won't be formally announced until after the season. It will be the longest contract in the Broncos' 33 year history.

Walters:

“Payne is a natural leader, not so much with his words but his actions. He is never far off the ball whether it’s attack or defence. When you are building a premiership team, you need middle forwards like Payne Haas. The Storm have Jesse Bromwich. The Roosters have Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Every top team has a dominant prop."

“Payne is a remarkable forward, he has a great work ethic. He wants to win at all costs and that’s what we need throughout the whole club.”

Ikin:

“Payne is a special player. He is a powerhouse, he leads from the front on the field in one of the toughest positions you can play in a game. He brings his best to every training session and every match. He is world class. He is the guy others in the club look to. He does it with his leadership and it’s based on actions. He performs with great humility."

“Payne has this view on the world where he is committed to doing things for others, he is very cognisant of the fact he is part of a team. As single-minded as you need to be to succeed in the front row, Payne has this great affinity for his teammates and they really recognise that. It is innate in Payne. He is leading for others. It‘s not just all about him. He has some magnificent traits as a leader.”

Greg Alexander:

“Having seen him in the NSW set-up, I’ve seen Payne’s attitude. When you sign someone for a long time, you have to consider will they handle things emotionally and does it matter how much they are paid from year to year? The player’s performances would have to stay consistent and I see that in Payne. It wouldn’t matter how much he was paid or how long for, I know Payne would do the job week in, week out.”

McHunt

A supreme athlete like Haas needs to explore all his options moneymaking wise before he is on the wrong side of 30 and his body is weary from playing a physical sport all his life.

If that means he joins another club or another code, then so be it. You only live once and you can't just limit yourself when you only have a ten year window.

As we have seen in the past, RL is a mere stepping stone for the elite athletes and whilst I hope he doesn't follow in the footsteps of SBW, Wendell, Izzy etc., I certainly wouldn't be surprised if he broadens his horizons one day.

Nasser is clearly working to get his claws into him with all the usual characters involved, he has SBW in his ear & Weidler reporting it. Im sure Politis will be involved sooner or later.

Interesting numbers in this article.
$110,000 in 2018; $240,000 in 2019; $450,000 in 2020; and was scheduled to receive $550,000 in 2021. In 2022, he would be on $750,000; in 2023, he would reach $800,000; and in 2024, he would make $850,000... but half of what fafita is on, and less then lodge was. Apparently signed less then flegler, but I'm not sure how that works...

Wielder feeds off negativity like this, settle down.

Payne was paid Reece-levels of money early in his career. You all blew up saying Reece should’ve accepted less at the same point in his playing career so in my view, Brisbane valued Payne early on potential and paid him accordingly. Absolutely he should be upgraded now but the BS story about how he’s “‘000s out of pocket” because of his current contract is just media driven sensationalism.

Sounds like he’s on $550k now and in a new contract will be correctly valued. If there’s money left over from the releases, give it to Payne for 2021 as a thank you.

But as a player, he’s home here and With third party deals he can earn plenty if that’s his go.

I was feeling ok about Haas until I heard he was involved with SBW and the other fuckwit.
Haas was already proving to be a fuckwit, so this is a recipe for disaster. If either of those people are involved with our players I'm happy to see them go. Absolute, top tier cockheads.

Under this current regime, he’ll probably go to French rugby for a weekend and break his contract and then come back to a fresh contract with the Roosters for ‘less’ (wink, wink) a week later and not only approved but announced as a huge coup for the Roosters.
The Broncos would have to release him from their club books, this is something even pub footy players have to do if they join another club. The NRL better stand behind the Broncos on this if something suss comes to fruition. I would litterly make a player sit out the the rest of their contact then allow them to break their contract. I would ruin their career.
How can a club like ours every build if we are robbed of the talent like this.

I hope that Payne is the man I think he is and this is all bs. If he wants to win a premiership he needs to understand that his contact needs to be fair for both parties. We shouldn't be robbing the bloke and he should want the club to be able to put a team of quality players on the park with him

What a pain in the arse this is all becoming.

cat love GIF

SBW was in TPJ ear as well, and we all know how Haas sulked over him being moved on.

In breaking news on Friday morning, I can confirm Payne was having coffee with Flegler and Milford at ’The Ground’ out in the sun on the benches, whilst Bomber Badel was inside the café chattering away furiously with someone I didn’t recognise.

I have no idea how this relates to this thread at all apart from Haas being there, but you heard it here first. Remember that!

Haas was already proving to be a fuckwit, so this is a recipe for disaster. If either of those people are involved with our players I'm happy to see them go. Absolute, top tier cockheads.
I’ve heard nothing but amazing things about SBW ever since he grew up post-bulldogs. By all accounts he is an absolute champion human. It may not be in our interest as fans but if the biggest slight on his character is that he encourages Islander players to put themselves and their families above the sport then I think calling him a fuckwit is over the top.

How is SBW a top tier cockhead?

Any grounds for your claim? He's a 10/10 professional on and off the field and is an absolutely awesome role model for Haas.

This in under a Rothfield byline:

"The Broncos board has approved a staggering $6 million offer over six years but Haas has baulked at signing any agreement."

"the Orrs, who are on a seven per cent commission, would get an annual payment of $70,000 or $420,000 over the lifetime of the contract."

He also mentions that the Orrs lost Cherry-Evans this year.

If Payne Haas represents himself and the Broncos offers the same contract he saves on commission for himself.

How is SBW a top tier cockhead?

Any grounds for your claim? He's a 10/10 professional on and off the field and is an absolutely awesome role model for Haas.
Yeah I have heard a dozen positive stories from people I know who have interacted with him.

There’s this for example too.

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Bucking Beads
  • bb_gun
  • GCBRONCO
  • RolledOates
  • Financeguy
  • Broncs1459
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.