OFFICIAL Herbie Farnworth Re-Signs With Broncos

Honestly, its probably better if these rookie outside backs don't come out dominating in their first year.

Isaako was rookie of the year in 2018 and fell off a cliff. Let them ply their trade for a few years in a bad team - best way to stay grounded.

I hope this is what they are doing with dearden.

He does all the little things, the one percenters which is a thing imo you cant teach.

I think his game changed a bit last night simply by having a bit more structure in the whole team with Boyd at fullback. I'd agree with @1910 about him being a winger more than any other position so far. He has plenty of development in him though so we cant rule anything out.

I've said this a few times, but it's worth repeating.. I swear he completely changed his game last night. He looked faster, stronger, more elusive, better footwork..

Never seen a player randomly do that midway through a season, but I'm not complaining. Very similar style of running to Manu. If he's capable of this at 20 I would be quite interested in seeing what he could do with a full off-season and pre-season at Fullback tbh.
The only thing you could potentially put it down to was a reduced work load at centre this game

Other games at centre he was making close to 30 tackles a game, because teams were targeting that edge. Last night Fox has him down for 16 tackles.

Maybe having an even share of possession allowed him some freedom to play rather than having to defend the whole game or work it out of our own end the whole time... he was also receiving a lot of TPJ's offloads and running into a retreating backline.

Last edited:
dont forget there has been a weight removed from his shoulders by signing a new contract..

For a young kid like him, thats a huge relief

He can now knuckle down and concentrate on improving his game and with it secure a more lucrative contract next time

Im just saying mentally that counts for something. Mental aspect is key for high performance althetes

BTW, anyone know what exactly the contract was worth roughly..?

Last edited:
I've said this a few times, but it's worth repeating.. I swear he completely changed his game last night. He looked faster, stronger, more elusive, better footwork..

Never seen a player randomly do that midway through a season, but I'm not complaining. Very similar style of running to Manu. If he's capable of this at 20 I would be quite interested in seeing what he could do with a full off-season and pre-season at Fullback tbh.
Maybe the contract talks were impacting him? Or having just re signed he wanted to put in a great performance? Clutching at straws over here

Maybe the contract talks were impacting him? Or having just re signed he wanted to put in a great performance? Clutching at straws over here

.....join the club....

gunna be a long hard few years ahead

Nice to see a player bust his guts to make up for an error too. Onya Herbie. Make him captain for his name alone.
This is what impressed me, and is obviously why teams like the roosters were keeping an eye on him.

The top teams, storm and roosters, recruit on attitude from all accounts. That's what we need to do. Players like Milford, Roberts, and even our opposition half last night Shaun Johnson will always have a place through pure ability, but the amount of analysis and professionalism of the codes means effort and perseverance will get you a premiership over having a few amazing natural talents in your team.

😄 Brent Tate played centre for Australia - he was a very explosive player.

Farnworth has no elite attribute - not one. He is a park footballer and lucky enough to come along at a time when the broncos have assembled one of the worst rosters in the history of the club.

How's my comparison with Tate going today mate?
[automerge]1596248787[/automerge]
every game he improves he’s legit, his ceiling I’m not sure but gezz hard not to think fb is in his future.

Why does he need to, what's wrong with being an elite winger?

Last edited:
The only thing you could potentially put it down to was a reduced work load at centre this game

Other games at centre he was making close to 30 tackles a game, because teams were targeting that edge. Last night Fox has him down for 16 tackles.

Maybe having an even share of possession allowed him some freedom to play rather than having to defend the whole game or work it out of our own end the whole time... he was also receiving a lot of TPJ's offloads and running into a retreating backline.

He's a slow burner, he played nine ISC games his first year interrupted by hand injuries and second year he was much better. He's still learning the game, but he learns quickly. His NRL career has followed the same trajectory as his ISC career.

This was 12 months ago, and the same things we saw last night

Herbie signed until end of 2020. He's improved dramatically this year, his physical presence on the field. I have said a lot of times, his strength is his positioning and adaptability. He moves to different sides, moves in to position well and moves in the tackle well. Last season it was disrupted a bit with two broken hands but he showed his toughness and then this year he is showing his football sense.

Last night, he came across to pass to the other centre then trots back over to his side like no big deal but it created extra men on that side, he had good vision. His second try he stays out when he has to and just waits for the Dargan pass to find him.

Smith has done an excellent job with him and the Devils in general. I would not be surprised if Smith has a job at the Broncos soon.

He's a slow burner, he played nine ISC games his first year interrupted by hand injuries and second year he was much better. He's still learning the game, but he learns quickly. His NRL career has followed the same trajectory as his ISC career.

This was 12 months ago, and the same things we saw last night
And you still might be right about a Smith having a job at the Broncos soon.

How's my comparison with Tate going today mate?
[automerge]1596248787[/automerge]

Why does he need to, what's wrong with being an elite winger?
Absolutely nothing I am very happy for him to stay there, you need elite wingers to win these days. I’m more concerned about who’s going to be our future fullback, Thoughts on that situation going forward?

Absolutely nothing I am very happy for him to stay there, you need elite wingers to win these days. I’m more concerned about who’s going to be our future fullback, Thoughts on that situation going forward?

I'll butt in here. Staggs for mine if Bird fails for whatever reason

He had a great night out despite the loss. He was clearly very happy and proud to have re-signed and wanted to come out and really put in. He would have been one of my highest rated players if we had gone on to win but I don't do ratings after losses, especially not this year.

Regardless he has got a mortgage on his wing spot now, and how good does it feel to have a winger on each side that doesn't make you lift your heart into your throat every time a pressure grubber comes their way?

I'll butt in here. Staggs for mine if Bird fails for whatever reason
Not keen on staggs there but I forgot about bird to be honest I’ve just figured he’s probably gone next year. In saying that I’d absolutely love to see him at the back, if he was to remain fit he’d be a weapon back there.

If Farnworth is our best fullback, I'd like to see him go there as its a key position.
Otherwise, I'm happy for him to stay on the wing. Unless we have ball hogs at centre and he never gets the ball.

Last edited:
That’s what it is, There’s a bit of Joseph Manu about him. That ability to run hard, swerve and the pace. Can anyone else see if?
The way he accelerated through the gap after TPJs offload reminded me a little of papenhuyzen.

If he had a passing game and had come through juniors and ISC as a fullback it would have been ideal because he is fit, fast and puts in an effort, but it would be a very hard transition to make now

😄 Brent Tate played centre for Australia - he was a very explosive player.

Farnworth has no elite attribute - not one. He is a park footballer and lucky enough to come along at a time when the broncos have assembled one of the worst rosters in the history of the club.

Hmmm I won`t be taking too much notice of your player ratings from here on .

Active Now

No members online now.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.