Hodges out for most of Season! Link included

Bucking Beads said:
Don't be negative people, if we add Hodges to our team I can't see any team matching our strike power. Defence on the left side will also be a bit better with Hodges out there.

I don't understand where people have seen this? Are we all living in the past where Hodges actually played good football?

All I have seen for the past two years is him playing, and being extremely lazy, and useless, or injured/suspended.

Lies! He hasn't been as great lately, but he was still damn good.

He was good at times last year. I think he was actually at his best when the Broncos were at their worst. He was the only one providing any kind of spark.

Bucking Beads said:
Defence on the left side will also be a bit better with Hodges out there.

Can't agree with that at all. Hodges can be pretty awful in defence, especially when he's lazy and just resorts to shirt grabbing.

Seriously? What football have you been watching the last 5 years? Hodges is close to the best defensive centre in the game.

Nashy said:
Bucking Beads said:
Don't be negative people, if we add Hodges to our team I can't see any team matching our strike power. Defence on the left side will also be a bit better with Hodges out there.

I don't understand where people have seen this? Are we all living in the past where Hodges actually played good football?

All I have seen for the past two years is him playing, and being extremely lazy, and useless, or injured/suspended.
As far back as 2006(can't really remember pre-06) Hodges has played through every final series and generally been a shinning light for us.
When the team was going through slumps he was the only one playing good, sparking our attack and just his presence on the field boosts the team.

His benefit to the team goes beyond his direct ability, after Lockyer he's the next best at inspiring the team IMO.

Nashy, are you suggesting having Hodges back on the field is not an advantage for us?

m1c said:
Seriously? What football have you been watching the last 5 years? Hodges is close to the best defensive centre in the game.

I've been watching him play, it's faaar from outstanding, and he isn't even close to being one of the best defenders.
You must be one of those people who thinks - "Oh shieet, he put a big hit on, must mean he's the best defender."

I didn't say that. I don't think he's going to have the impact that everyone things he will have.

Nashy said:
I didn't say that. I don't think he's going to have the impact that everyone things he will have.
Not immediately but in the finals match going down to the wire, would you rather be defending against Glenn or Hodges?
That's what it comes down to, instead of the predictable chuck it to Folau we have Hodges as well which means defence can't focus on one side of the field anymore.

It'll be interesting to see if they go back to Hodges centre, Folau near him at wing or if they put Hodges at left centre.

When Hodges actually reads the play and marks up, he is a very good defender. But occasionally he's a bit lazy, not paying enough attention, and his opposite number gets on his outside, and not being the fastest lateral mover it creates a 2-on-1.

I remember a lot of times last year where Hodges would be caught too far in field, and the opposition would get on his outside and that would force Yow Yeh to come in and that left space for the winger to go in in the corner. Happened far too often.

But when Hodges is on his game, yes, his defence is first class.

Yow Yeh was also by far at his best when Hodges was besides him.
Now that could be a coincidence but I reckon it's not, Yow Yeh benefited from having an experienced talkative player besides him directing things.

broncospwn said:
Yow Yeh was also by far at his best when Hodges was besides him.
Now that could be a coincidence but I reckon it's not, Yow Yeh benefited from having an experienced talkative player besides him directing things.

For sure, but that depends on the experienced talkative player playing like an experienced player and being talkative. When he's off his game Hodges disappears. That's the concern.

He will come back hungry with all cylinders firing I think.

My only concern is that when Hodges comes back he may have a couple of crappy games because he will be rusty and some people will grill him. Give him a chance and he COULD be the difference between winning and loosing. IMO we need Hodges because like somebody mentioned ATM we are to predictable. Honestly how many points have we scored down our left side this Year? If we have Hodges we have two attacking options one on either side of the field.

The only time we have scored on the left side was when Gillet killed it against the sharks. Im licking my lips at the thought of Gillet inside of Hodges creating space for Hodges to carve it up.

Donny said:
My only concern is that when Hodges comes back he may have a couple of crappy games because he will be rusty and some people will grill him. Give him a chance and he COULD be the difference between winning and loosing. IMO we need Hodges because like somebody mentioned ATM we are to predictable. Honestly how many points have we scored down our left side this Year? If we have Hodges we have two attacking options one on either side of the field.

The only time we have scored on the left side was when Gillet killed it against the sharks. Im licking my lips at the thought of Gillet inside of Hodges creating space for Hodges to carve it up.

Yeah, I'd like to see us go to the left more often. At the moment, it seems like it's just where we either put Te'o or Glenn to take a break.

Donny said:

The trouble with Hodges on the left is,

a) It makes his big right foot step ineffective.
b) He doesn't step off the left very well.
and importantly, c) He doesn't attack the line/hit holes at all.

IMO Hodges would just be a run of the mill centre if he were on the left, though that's not to say that I think Folau should be moved there. I just don't expect much from Hodges when he's not on his preferred side.

Hodges only stepping of his left foot...which leg is he recovering from right now? Maybe it might be good for him :o

Active Now

• GCBRONCO
  • Howie
  • broncsgoat
  • Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • winslow_wong
  • broncotville
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • Waynesaurus
  • ivanhungryjak
  • MaroubraBroncos
  • Mustafur
  • Culhwch
  • Dash
  • Hurrijo
  • Sproj
  • mystico
  • TimWhatley
... and 12 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.