"Hoffy isn't the guy for Fullback" - Hodges

Perhaps what the broncos think of Josh's career at the club?

Last edited:
Looks like Barba to 6 might be inevitable:

The long-awaited finalisation of Anthony Milford's future is likely to end Canterbury's hopes of stealing Josh Hoffman, while Kiwi custodian Kevin Locke has emerged as a top candidate to fill the Raiders' No.1 jersey in 2015. Before leaving for Samoa last weekend for a post World Cup holiday, Milford surrendered the battle to quit the final year of his Canberra deal and re-join family in Brisbane immediately.
With Canberra's board committed to enforcing the contract through the courts, the 19-year-old was advised to sidestep a stressful legal stoush and make his move to the Broncos at the end of next season.
Negotiations between Brisbane officials and Milford's agent, Sam Ayoub, struck a two-year deal on Tuesday night that will tie him to the Broncos for 2015 and 2016.
Milford had wanted to activate a clause in his contract, which enabled the Souths Logan junior to return to Brisbane for family reasons. He argued the health of his father Malo, who is recovering from a heart attack, was reason enough to justify leaving. But after losing NSW Origin pair Blake Ferguson and Josh Dugan last season, the Raiders stood firm.

Milford's deal means the Broncos are unlikely to release Josh Hoffman to the Bulldogs | News.com.au

Really not happy about this personally.

I am sure if he is told to stay at BHQ for next season he will give his all provided he plays fullback or on the wing - he is a very competitive guy who has very good mates at the Broncos and he will not want to let them down either
I understand his frustration last year in not playing fullback for most of it but he also has to learn that sometimes you cannot get everything your own way when you are playing a team sport.
I personally agree with Hodgo and probably many others on here that he struggles to side step to beat a defender - he does really fed off players but prefers to bash and barge throw them and is very effective at that - he is a wonderful safe option at fullback - very brave and lays his body on the line every game without exception but he needs to improve in a few areas
Mind you I actually think after his electric displays on the wing last year then if he actually concentrated on that position he would become a superstar - it was very special to see that last year and credit where credit is due Jack Reed and he worked extremely well as a pair and his quick service to Hoffman gave him that slightest bit of room to move and WOW
So dont be too quick to want to get rid of him - not yet anyway

I am sure if he is told to stay at BHQ for next season he will give his all provided he plays fullback or on the wing - he is a very competitive guy who has very good mates at the Broncos and he will not want to let them down either
I understand his frustration last year in not playing fullback for most of it but he also has to learn that sometimes you cannot get everything your own way when you are playing a team sport.
I personally agree with Hodgo and probably many others on here that he struggles to side step to beat a defender - he does really fed off players but prefers to bash and barge throw them and is very effective at that - he is a wonderful safe option at fullback - very brave and lays his body on the line every game without exception but he needs to improve in a few areas
Mind you I actually think after his electric displays on the wing last year then if he actually concentrated on that position he would become a superstar - it was very special to see that last year and credit where credit is due Jack Reed and he worked extremely well as a pair and his quick service to Hoffman gave him that slightest bit of room to move and WOW
So dont be too quick to want to get rid of him - not yet anyway

I want him gone cos he has disrespected the club, I don't care how great a player thinks he is. I don't think his side step is a problem it's his complete lack of ability to pass the ball

Lockyer backs Hoffman, Barba switch

Laine Clark
Thu, Nov 28, 2013 - 6:03 PM
Darren Lockyer has backed Brisbane coach Anthony Griffin's call to convert either Ben Barba or Josh Hoffman into a five-eighth, but has urged fans to be patient.

And Lockyer defended Brisbane's poaching of Canberra young gun Anthony Milford despite Raiders coach Ricky Stuart's protests, saying it is "the nature of the beast".

The switch from fullback to pivot may have been made to look easy by Lockyer during his stellar NRL playing career.

However, the former Australian captain said "time will tell" if Barba or Hoffman would be the best fit to partner Broncos halfback Ben Hunt next NRL season.

"Both players are more dangerous the more times they have their hands on the football but people need to be patient," Lockyer told AAP.

"While five-eighth is not totally foreign to those guys, it will take them time to learn the role. Time will tell."

If superstar No.1 Barba's conversion is successful, it may avoid an awkward stand-off with New Zealand fullback Hoffman.

Hoffman has niggled the Broncos by featuring in social media pictures with Bulldogs contracted players at the World Cup in England.

It has fuelled rumours that Hoffman - contracted until the end of 2015 - will leave Brisbane for Belmore next year in what would be a straight swap for Barba.

However, Hoffman will retain his beloved Broncos No.1 jersey if Barba claims the pivot role at Brisbane.

Lockyer warned of the pitfalls of the switch.

"Both are great runners of the football," he said.

"But I found the increase in the defensive workload was the biggest challenge."

Lockyer said Barba's injection into a backline featuring Hoffman and by 2015 Canberra young gun Milford had made him excited about Brisbane's future.

The Broncos posted their worst season in 2013 - a 10-1-13 record that banished them to 12th on the ladder.

"Anthony Milford is obviously a pretty special talent. He's a kid with huge potential," Lockyer said.

"And also with guys like Ben Barba in the squad, I can see more points being scored for the Broncos in the future, which is exciting."

Lockyer wouldn't bite over Stuart's claim that Brisbane was one of the NRL's worst clubs for player development.

"I know teams are disappointed when they lose their star players - Brisbane lost Corey Norman to Parramatta," he said.

"But it is the nature of the beast.

"The salary cap has been a good leveller for teams.

"Everyone is looking at strengthening their squads and poaching players from one club to another - it is now part of the game."

One thing I'd be looking forward to if Barba plays 5/8th would be Milford playing fullback.

Maybe, I'm naive or whatever. But I still don't really think he is doing anything wrong. All he is doing is posing for photos with his NZ team mates. Sure, the play for the Bulldogs, but so what.

I've posed for photos with mates of mine that working for direct competitors of my company... does that mean my company should get rid of me.

And I certainly can't compare the situation to that of Dugan or Ferguson ad @bb_gun seems to. He is giving a thumbs up signal not drink cruisers on a roof having a go at his coaches.

Plus it's not his instagram.

Maybe it's because I'm not trying to find a reason to hate him

Of course he knows what he is doing, and in my opinion it is unbelievably disrespectful to the club that gave him a career in the first place and disrespectful to the fans that have been following him for over 6 years. He either doesnt care or is pulling a Dugan and is trying to get sacked, not in the same fashion as the other boys but is clearly pushing buttons and enabling it at the same time.
Footy isnt everything but when someone is being a shit bloke, then they are a shit bloke.

https://twitter.com/PritchardFrank/status/405829547616382976/photo/1/large

These games are getting ridiculous. Surely he should be punished in some way for acting so unprofessionally? I'm really starting to scratch my head, never seen anything like it before.

Tell me about it, that picture is horrid. Terrible lighting, red eye everywhere, the guy on the left looks like a pedophile trying to be a Kiwi and it looks like it was taken on a 1990's battery run digital camera. But hey if he wants to go to a club with those resources, good on him.

I cringe everytime I read these articles claiming barba to 6 to accommodate Hoffman. FFS I want him gone, not his disrespectful behaviour rewarded

I cringe everytime I read these articles claiming barba to 6 to accommodate Hoffman. FFS I want him gone, not his disrespectful behaviour rewarded

I trust Lockys judgement on who would make a good 5/8 for the Broncos. and honestly i don't think Locky is saying it to accommodate Hoffman. i think he is saying it because unless we get Milford for 2014 ... Benny Barba may be our best option at 5/8, personally i think he could handle the switch.

I think it sounds like Hoffman is getting to big for his boots. Granted he had a very good season in 2013 but lets not forget how crap he was in 2012. I know he was carrying an injury in 2012 but he should be grateful the Broncos kept faith in him. He was excellent on the wing this year , so why would Hook want to shift him? But he will never be in the superstar category (eg Slater, Hodges, GI) and if he is thinking there is not enough room in the team for him and Barba then so long Hoffy. To my mind it is a privilege to play for this club. Perhaps he needs to have a talk to the likes of Tallis , Webke or Brad Thorn to get an idea of what this jersey means to players of their ilk and to a hell of a lot of people in Queensland.

Last edited:

Active Now

• winslow_wong
  • Bucking Beads
  • Sproj
  • Skyblues87
  • broncsgoat
  • Cavalo
  • theshed
  • Broncosgirl
  • Gaz
  • eazy-duzzit
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Waynesaurus
  • Morkel
  • Wolfie
  • heartly87
  • marw
  • Adammacca
  • Big Del
  • Pablo
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.