How should the club spend 800k?

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
So with Haas all but guaranteed to be leaving in the off-season, and it being on the public court record that his salary in 2023/2024 is 800k/850 we effectively have that money free to go to market.

If you believe the rumours, Cobbo is all but signed before the release news, so his upgrade was already factored in, as has Herbie's 1 year deal.

These are the players off contract, available for next year.

Adam Elliott
Ryan Sutton
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Matt Moylan
Briton NIkora
Royce Hunt
Jarrod Wallace
Martin Taupau
Dunamis Liu
Anthony Milford (lol)
Josh McGuire (lol)
Jordan McLean
Ryan Matterson
Tom Opacic
Hayze Perham
James Tamou

Nikora is a gun and Matterson is pretty good but I can't see us signing a backrower.

The off contract list is pretty shit, so I don't see how we're going to spend it, so I seriously think we might look at a Super League player for a 2 year deal.

Walsh is obviously a maybe given the rumours about him wanting out but I don't think the club will go there.

So what does the club do if we have 800k to spend? You have to spend 95% of your cap.

So what does the club do if we have 800k to spend? You have to spend 95% of your cap.

two options IMO.

1. front load a few contracts (if we're permitted) to free up space for when it's needed in a year or two.

2. find out which club Payne wants to go to and make a deal with them (they'll likely need someone off their books to fit in Payne's massive salary). any cash left over we can upgrade some contracts

So with Haas all but guaranteed to be leaving in the off-season, and it being on the public court record that his salary in 2023/2024 is 800k/850 we effectively have that money free to go to market.

If you believe the rumours, Cobbo is all but signed before the release news, so his upgrade was already factored in, as has Herbie's 1 year deal.

Adam Elliott
Ryan Sutton
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Matt Moylan
Briton NIkora
Royce Hunt
Jarrod Wallace
Martin Taupau
Dunamis Liu
Anthony Milford (lol)
Josh McGuire (lol)
Jordan McLean
Ryan Matterson
Tom Opacic
Hayze Perham
James Tamou

Nikora is a gun and Matterson is pretty good but I can't see us signing a backrower.

The off contract list is pretty shit, so I don't see how we're going to spend it, so I seriously think we might look at a Super League player for a 2 year deal.

Walsh is obviously a maybe given the rumours about him wanting out but I don't think the club will go there.

Lachlan lam is off contract,wouldnt be opposed to getting ppl upgraded and resigned and maybe bring him in for a year to see what he has to offer

Re-signing the guys we need to and then maybe Walsh

The only players unsigned for 2023 currently

Oates - he'll get a downgrade in pay
Palasia - I reckon he'll stick on the same contract
Mead - gone
Kennedy - probably gone
Turpin - gone
Walters - Maybe from minimum wage to 200k
James - gone
Kelly - gone
Niu - Signed but can see him moving on early
Hoeter - might stay on for the same minimum wage

So I can't see us having to spend any of it within the 30, unless we front load Cobbo a heck of a lot to have more money for 2024.

two options IMO.

1. front load a few contracts (if we're permitted) to free up space for when it's needed in a year or two.

2. find out which club Payne wants to go to and make a deal with them (they'll likely need someone off their books to fit in Payne's massive salary). any cash left over we can upgrade some contracts
2 seems to be the most likely, given how hard it's going to be to sign anyone for next year, I think DIK might stick to their guns and say we need a player swap of some kind.

Adam Elliott
Ryan Sutton
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Matt Moylan
Briton NIkora
Royce Hunt
Jarrod Wallace
Martin Taupau
Dunamis Liu
Anthony Milford (lol)
Josh McGuire (lol)
Jordan McLean
Ryan Matterson
Tom Opacic
Hayze Perham
James Tamou

The only one I'd consider for decent money would be Jordan McLean, and even then nothing above 400,000. Royce hunt for 250,000 max maybe. Opacic and lui could be depth options given we will likely lose james and brenko, maybe mead too. But all of the above options are not needed at all. There are better players in that list then the above as well (eg matterson) but they are completely not needed.

I think the big thing for me is something we cannot pretend to know. Personalities and team dynamics. It's something ikin talked about in the recent podcast and is supposedly a major thing DD has brought from Melbourne.

I do think there's something MASSIVE coming in exchange for haas. What it is I'm not sure, I just have that much faith in ikin and DD that there is no way we do not come out stronger from this. Every move they have made has been right, it's actually quite remarkable..

The only one I'd consider for decent money would be Jordan McLean, and even then nothing above 400,000. Royce hunt for 250,000 max maybe. Opacic and lui could be depth options given we will likely lose james and brenko, maybe mead too. But all of the above options are not needed at all. There are better players in that list then the above as well (eg matterson) but they are completely not needed.

I think the big thing for me is something we cannot pretend to know. Personalities and team dynamics. It's something ikin talked about in the recent podcast and is supposedly a major thing DD has brought from Melbourne.

I do think there's something MASSIVE coming in exchange for haas. What it is I'm not sure, I just have that much faith in ikin and DD that there is no way we do not come out stronger from this. Every move they have made has been right, it's actually quite remarkable..
I'm not sure about every, but I'd give them a 9/10. Brenko has been a dud signing, so has Ryan James and I think extending Niu was the wrong call but of course a lot of it comes down to unknowns to the fans, maybe they're a big part of the culture.

But as far as recruitment goes overall, best we've done in a very, very long time. All the big signings were absolutely spot on.

View attachment 18713
The only players unsigned for 2023 currently

Oates - he'll get a downgrade in pay
Palasia - I reckon he'll stick on the same contract
Mead - gone
Kennedy - probably gone
Turpin - gone
Walters - Maybe from minimum wage to 200k
James - gone
Kelly - gone
Niu - Signed but can see him moving on early
Hoeter - might stay on for the same minimum wage

So I can't see us having to spend any of it within the 30, unless we front load Cobbo a heck of a lot to have more money for 2024.
Except Haas is likely getting released in 2023 (i.e. end of this year) so the money also becomes free for 2024, and those are the ones I was looking at:
Flegler
Jensen
Cobbo (apparently in the process)
Herbie
Kobe
Paix
Pereira (as depth)

The guys off contract at the end of this year will be sorted out this year.. the guys off contract in 2024 are free to sign elsewhere by November 1... the sooner Haas goes the sooner we can access those funds for the 2024 re-signings.

Re-sign the ones we need before they hit the November 1 market.

We also have Patty coming off the year after that.. I'd be wanting to get him locked down as well.

If Haas goes, Flegler and Patty most likely become our starting prop rotation... with Jensen, Willison and co becoming the support players

I'm not sure about every, but I'd give them a 9/10. Brenko has been a dud signing, so has Ryan James and I think extending Niu was the wrong call but of course a lot of it comes down to unknowns to the fans, maybe they're a big part of the culture.

But as far as recruitment goes overall, best we've done in a very, very long time. All the big signings were absolutely spot on.
I'd argue Ryan James and brenko Lee have done exactly what they were brought in for on budget deals. Experience, depth and great role models for the younger guys. James was smartly only signed for 1 year as well. Lee on 2 years is good as well.

Niu was signed for cheap on a 2 year deal and despite his shortcomings has improved as a fullback. Definetly not a 1st choice option and his deal shows that, low risk with high reward potential in it.

Adam Elliott
Ryan Sutton
Raymond Faitala-Mariner
Matt Moylan
Briton NIkora
Royce Hunt
Jarrod Wallace
Martin Taupau
Dunamis Liu
Anthony Milford (lol)
Josh McGuire (lol)
Jordan McLean
Ryan Matterson
Tom Opacic
Hayze Perham
James Tamou

By the time better players are off contract our spine could be sorted Mam, Paix, Mozer, Cobbo/Herbie, TMM if he sticks around. These guys will have another year under their belts as we couldn't get anyone til 24 unless a contract is broken.
Reynolds is the only one we have to look at replacing in the near future but I think Gamble could fill that role when the time comes if the development of the others goes to plan.
I'd be using the Haas money to make sure we keep what we currently have together and go from there. (The good ones anyway)

I don't see Walsh at the Warriors beyond his current deal and may not last next season there, but if Walsh came back we loose Oates or Herbie most likely or we don't play Mariner when he's ready.
Oates is 27 so he's still got a couple years left in him on the wing I'd like to think.

I'd argue Ryan James and brenko Lee have done exactly what they were brought in for on budget deals. Experience, depth and great role models for the younger guys. James was smartly only signed for 1 year as well. Lee on 2 years is good as well.

Niu was signed for cheap on a 2 year deal and despite his shortcomings has improved as a fullback. Definetly not a 1st choice option and his deal shows that, low risk with high reward potential in it.

And for ryan James it seems like him not regularly playing suits him perfectly. He looks happy to just be a senior bloke around the place telling war stories. Pretty good idea to sink bugger all cap on a player bloke like that who knows its his final year in and around the NRL

Do the broncos have a little more to spend next year from Isaako’s early departure ? Wasn’t it something like an additional 5% ?

Do the broncos have a little more to spend next year from Isaako’s early departure ? Wasn’t it something like an additional 5% ?
Yep but that could be where Cobbo's upgrade money is coming from

Active Now

• Culhwch
  • Mightybroncs2k17
  • bert_lifts
  • Fatboy
  • Broncorob
  • Big Del
  • Allo
  • Mum-the-meatloaf
  • Skyblues87
  • lynx000
  • FACTHUNT
  • Battler
  • kiwi2
  • Santa
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Bronx48
  • MrTickyMcG
  • upthebroncs
  • HarryAllan7
  • RolledOates
... and 11 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.