Hunt Signs with St George Illawarra

I am glad we didn't sign him for that money, that is ridiculous money. By the same token I think the usual suspects are greatly underestimating the loss that Hunt will be. Come 2018 we have no decent half to partner Milford in a market that sees spuds like Mbye paid 700k.

I know plenty of Hunt haters won't be able to wipe the shit-eating grins from their faces, it will be interesting to see how much you are smiling in 2018.

Good points all but to be fair come 2018 we may still have won nothing. I think also Hunt remaining at the club doesn't necessarily give us our best shot at a title in the interim either. 2016 was a telling year for Hunt, I reckon. He looked very frustrated on the field. Whether it was down to Milford, our forwards (who also largely didn't aim up), baggage from last year I don't know. A fresh start is the best thing for both club and player.

As for your final point, will some of the more hardcore Hunt haters be smiling in a year or so? Who knows but at least the forum has been spared from any more 'Hunt has got so much potential - just you wait, next year will be his year - I just know it!' tripe. So that's something.

Good points all but to be fair come 2018 we may still have won nothing. I think also Hunt remaining at the club doesn't necessarily give us our best shot at a title in the interim either. 2016 was a telling year for Hunt, I reckon. He looked very frustrated on the field. Whether it was down to Milford, our forwards (who also largely didn't aim up), baggage from last year I don't know. A fresh start is the best thing for both club and player.

As for your final point, will some of the more hardcore Hunt haters be smiling in a year or so? Who knows but at least the forum has been spared from any more 'Hunt has got so much potential - just you wait, next year will be his year - I just know it!' tripe. So that's something.
I'm sure hunt will continue being a good player once he leaves, we just didn't need him and milford. Too alike to justify a huge price tag on him.

I say it again.. why does everyone think we can't get Taylor back for 2018??
Because he's contracted..? So what!
A few things will determine it... we need the eels to not make a huge play for Hayne (which they could now Semi is leaving) so that the GC have to pay big to keep him then not being able to keep both Elgey and Taylor.
It also depends how well Elgey goes this year... i hope he has a blinder! That way there is real competition for top half spot (like we had) and we can offer him an extended deal.
So we need Parrah to lock up their money somehwere else and at this stage Corey Norman looks like their biggest asset (uh oh)
Why I'm hoping the tigers beat out the roosters for Tedesco, meaning Brooks has to be squeezed to the Eels. Parra might want to go after a strike Centre now since they will no longer have a game changer on their hands in semi though

Gee that's a lot of moving parts.

Seriously congrats on how much thought you've put in. Not being sarcastic at all.

Just don't see Taylor coming back until the end of his contract, so he's not here till 2019 (assuming he plays well). Why would the Tits release a starting half who is playing well. And if he is playing like a spud, why would we want him?

The term will stop being used as long as "Luke Brooks is good" or any other variation lying about his skills is never used again on this forum. Also come on, overly critical is a load of crap. You know what hater means in 2017 and you're just being dramatic. You specifically, @Unbreakable acted like a hater in the modern use of the word.

Jayden Nikorima is another runnimg half whose running game isn't as good as Hunt. So whilst not upgrading in the department we need to, we are also not upgrading in any way whatsoever.
So criticising a player's flaws is hating... no wonder you're so salty when anyone says anything you disagree with.

Jayden's kicking is galaxies ahead of Hunt, and his running is at least on par, so there's that.
Means nothing in the grand scheme of things, as he hasn't demonstrated he is able to steer a team around, but he's still very young, and still has a steep learning curve, unlike Hunt. (shit, that must me a Hunt hater)

Still hope Ash comes back, can't imagine a better partner for Milford (of the realistically obtainable ones).

So criticising a player's flaws is hating... no wonder you're so salty when anyone says anything you disagree with.

Jayden's kicking is galaxies ahead of Hunt, and his running is at least on par, so there's that.
Means nothing in the grand scheme of things, as he hasn't demonstrated he is able to steer a team around, but he's still very young, and still has a steep learning curve, unlike Hunt. (shit, that must me a Hunt hater)

Still hope Ash comes back, can't imagine a better partner for Milford (of the realistically obtainable ones).
I maintain that Bennet really cooked it by letting him go. It's not like he is 24 and should have been in first grade for a few years. Arguably even this year Ash was still a bit small for first grade and realisitically shouldn't have been thrown in the deep end like he was, yet in hindesight it all panned out and he handled the jump. I think to believe the Broncos were ever going to be able to keep Milford, Hunt and Boyd in the same team for 2018 was extremely hopeful at best, and as this has shown, we are now without a quality half for 2018.

With injuries to Nikorima and Macca throughout last season, Ash would have had a handful of games no doubt, and possibly had a game or two to give Hunt a week in reserve grade to help find his kicking game. As for 2017, Ash would now likely be starting half with Broncos either benching Hunt, or allowing an early release. Bennett definitely didn't make the best call for the club with this decision and it has been decisions like this that have made fans at the Dragons and Knights annoyed with him. I just hope he doesn't leave at the end of 2018 or 2019 and we still have no half and our premiership window slammed shut.

Can we not act like criticising Hunt wasn't an almost daily occurrence for you and Unbreakable? It was done in almost every thread throughout last year. It was done to the point where you repeated yourself over and over and over again, in every thread. Why are you being so sensitive about the word though? I haven't been the one calling you haters by the way, I merely explained it's meaning and the shoe fits. As I said earlier, Witch Hunters was a far better name.

Jayden's kicking is not galaxies ahead of Hunt and his running is not on par. This is the shit I have been arguing with for the last year. More bullshit claimed as facts with absolutely no proof. At this point you're just lying. And before you reply I watched every home game for the NYC team in 2014 and 2015. I'd ask for proof of the statements you've made but we all know that's not how you "Hunt haters" deal with arguments, is it?

Last edited by a moderator:
Tyrone Roberts is only 25 (I honestly though he was 30+) and has played in exclusively shit house sides; he was very good last year for the Titans I thought, and is a good goal kicker and kicker in general. He wouldn't be a terrible stop-gap, although he is injury prone.

Tyrone Roberts is only 25 (I honestly though he was 30+) and has played in exclusively shit house sides; he was very good last year for the Titans I thought, and is a good goal kicker and kicker in general. He wouldn't be a terrible stop-gap, although he is injury prone.

Glad I'm not the only one who sees some good in Tyrone Roberts. I don't think he is a superstar or anything like that but I do feel under the right coaching he can be a handy player. He does have a capable kicking game and Bennett did have him playing decently back in 2013.

Can we not act like criticising Hunt wasn't an almost daily occurrence for you and Unbreakable? It was done in almost every thread throughout last year. It was done to the point where you repeated yourself over and over and over again, in every thread. Why are you being so sensitive about the word though? I haven't been the one calling you haters by the way, I merely explained it's meaning and the shoe fits. As I said earlier, Witch Hunters was a far better name.

Jayden's kicking is not galaxies ahead of Hunt and his running is not on par. This is the shit I have been arguing with for the last year. More bullshit claimed as facts with absolutely no proof. At this point you're just lying. And before you reply I watched every home game for the NYC team in 2014 and 2015. I'd ask for proof of the statements you've made but we all know that's not how you "Hunt haters" deal with arguments, is it?

I've certainly repeated myself, albeit a far cry from daily, and justified my opinion, unlike you, whom have repeated yourself with the same old replies devoid of any substance, attacking posters with whom you disagree, hence the salty perception...

Proof of statements, claimed as facts, lying? Do you understand the concept of opinion? Do you understand the concept of observation, perception and interpretation, which is how opinions are formed? That's just idiotic!

I maintain that Jayden's kicking is much better than Hunt's and his running game is on par. You observed differently? I'm really not surprised and I've got no problem with that... I doubt many will agree with you.

But that's the thing ... Ash isn't realistically obtainable, at least until the 2019 season.

So the question then becomes what do we do. Do we:

1) effectively sacrifice the 2018 season with a nuffie in the 7 jersey (unless of course Milford becomes a version of the 2006 Lockyer in the next 12 months) in the hope that Taylor actually lives up to his potential and decides to return.

2) make a play at one of the quality experienced halves on the market for the 2018 season.

If we go with option 2 and successfully get a Johnson type half then Ash doesn't come back.

Gee that's a lot of moving parts.

Seriously congrats on how much thought you've put in. Not being sarcastic at all.

Just don't see Taylor coming back until the end of his contract, so he's not here till 2019 (assuming he plays well). Why would the Tits release a starting half who is playing well. And if he is playing like a spud, why would we want him?
They'd release him because we signed him and they need space on their cap for Hayne

Glad I'm not the only one who sees some good in Tyrone Roberts. I don't think he is a superstar or anything like that but I do feel under the right coaching he can be a handy player. He does have a capable kicking game and Bennett did have him playing decently back in 2013.

He's the halfback equivalent of Waddell. Entirely serviceable, not flash but at least reliable for the basics. Would be a perfect backup half, a safety net for injuries, but not a first choice.

I've certainly repeated myself, albeit a far cry from daily, and justified my opinion, unlike you, whom have repeated yourself with the same old replies devoid of any substance, attacking posters with whom you disagree, hence the salty perception...
Bullshit. Stats and video evidence that were often not responded to. Justifying your opinions by yelling Hunt can't kick louder doesn't mean it was justified. Attacking posters? When?

Proof of statements, claimed as facts, lying? Do you understand the concept of opinion? Do you understand the concept of observation, perception and interpretation, which is how opinions are formed? That's just idiotic!
Opinions are often wrong, I've never understood this "It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" crap. If you're wrong your opinion means jack.

I maintain that Jayden's kicking is much better than Hunt's and his running game is on par. You observed differently? I'm really not surprised and I've got no problem with that... I doubt many will agree with you.

Yeah you'll probably tell me we can only judge from the games Jayden has played in first grade and where Hunt was at after his first few games. So I guess there's no disputing it. They're obviously on par based on Hunts ability to tear apart adults and Jaydens ability to tear apart a competition where defense is non-existent. You win, mate. You're so right.

But that's the thing ... Ash isn't realistically obtainable, at least until the 2019 season.

So the question then becomes what do we do. Do we:

1) effectively sacrifice the 2018 season with a nuffie in the 7 jersey (unless of course Milford becomes a version of the 2006 Lockyer in the next 12 months) in the hope that Taylor actually lives up to his potential and decides to return.

2) make a play at one of the quality experienced halves on the market for the 2018 season.

If we go with option 2 and successfully get a Johnson type half then Ash doesn't come back.
We have Hunt for this season, which he will hopefully take seriously. What happens after this is really tea leaves reading...

People are up in arms trying to get someone as good as Hunt. I'd prefer someone who would fit the team as whole better. A serviceable player who complements Milford and Boyd. If he's as good or better than Hunt, even better of course.

2018 is a year away, which in RL terms, is a lifetime. We could get Ash back sooner, or Shaun Johnson, or transform Jayden into the second coming (despite @talanoa's concerns valid concerns re his size), we could discover a hidden gem, or the Perry or Wallace that suits Milford.

There are certainly options out there, and it's certainly not the end of the world as we know it!

We have Hunt for this season, which he will hopefully take seriously. What happens after this is really tea leaves reading...

People are up in arms trying to get someone as good as Hunt. I'd prefer someone who would fit the team as whole better. A serviceable player who complements Milford and Boyd. If he's as good or better than Hunt, even better of course.

2018 is a year away, which in RL terms, is a lifetime. We could get Ash back sooner, or Shaun Johnson, or transform Jayden into the second coming (despite @talanoa's concerns valid concerns re his size), we could discover a hidden gem, or the Perry or Wallace that suits Milford.

There are certainly options out there, and it's certainly not the end of the world as we know it!
People are up in arms? There's one singular person who has reacted in a way you could describe that way.

Side Note: I don't agree that Jayden Nikorima is anywhere near as good as Hunt.

He's got a hell of a lot of skill though, wouldn't mind bringing him home to see what he can really do.

Bullshit. Stats and video evidence that were often not responded to. Justifying your opinions by yelling Hunt can't kick louder doesn't mean it was justified. Attacking posters? When?
SF's video highlights prove nothing, unless there is a comparable set of lowlights to put them against.
I doubt SF would spend his valuable time compiling evidence in favour of "Hunt's haters".

Opinions are often wrong, I've never understood this "It's my opinion and I'm entitled to it" crap. If you're wrong your opinion means jack.
That bold bit there... truer words were never spoken. Were you looking in the mirror at the time?

Yeah you'll probably tell me we can only judge from the games Jayden has played in first grade and where Hunt was at after his first few games. So I guess there's no disputing it. They're obviously on par based on Hunts ability to tear apart adults and Jaydens ability to tear apart a competition where defense is non-existent. You win, mate. You're so right.
Yes, your default go to defense, alongside the taboo word "potential". It's old and to use your own words, it's bullshit.

You can only compare equal sets of values and circumstances. Hunt in the 20's and his start in FG with Jayden or Ash in the same circumstances. Talent and potential are the only tools you have to extrapolate where you think they can be once they reach Hunt's current circumstances. Only hindsight provides evidence on whether or not the predictions were off by exaggeration or default.

Kick ability however is a very observable attribute, and both Jayden and Ash already do it undoubtedly better than the current Hunt. They would have to decline significantly in years to come, to get down to his level.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Broncorob
  • the_next
  • ChewThePhatt
  • azza.79
  • ivanhungryjak
  • Xzei
  • GCBRONCO
  • Dash
  • Manofoneway
  • FACTHUNT
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
  • broncsgoat
  • Locky24
  • lynx000
  • Griffo
  • CHorse
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.