Hunt Signs with St George Illawarra

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
Side Note: I don't agree that Jayden Nikorima is anywhere near as good as Hunt.

He's got a hell of a lot of skill though, wouldn't mind bringing him home to see what he can really do.
Who said that?

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Jiko may or may not become anything but what he showed in the 20s is certainly worthy of a punt if we can get him!

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
If you think his kicking game is better and his running game is on par, that means you think he's a better player than Hunt I'm pretty sure lol.
I'm pretty sure there's more to a half than running or kicking... lol.

Unbreakable

Unbreakable

International Rep
Contributor
May 21, 2013
I'm pretty sure there's more to a half than running or kicking... lol.

So you're saying that Hunt's immaculate game management and defence (in which he's arguably the worst in the NRL at both) have you rating him above Nikorima (Who you think is a far better kicker, and equally as good runner)?

:notsureifserious:

Not even trying to have a go at you, just trying to figure out where you're at.

BroncsFan

BroncsFan

International Captain
Contributor
Jul 28, 2016
Aaaaand the merry go round starts again... FFS

Morepudding

Morepudding

NRL Captain
Dec 16, 2015
Glad I'm not the only one who sees some good in Tyrone Roberts. I don't think he is a superstar or anything like that but I do feel under the right coaching he can be a handy player. He does have a capable kicking game and Bennett did have him playing decently back in 2013.
Also wouldn't be opposed for Tyrone Roberts. Honestly I'd love for them to just ditch Hunt for this season. I don't see us winning a premiership with our squad and find it unlikely he would be 100% committed anyway. Would rather either try and get Tryone Roberts or JNik back in the squad, or give Kodi a crack and if it doesn't work, recruit for 2018. No point playing Hunt the full season.

winslow_wong

winslow_wong

International Captain
May 27, 2013
Also wouldn't be opposed for Tyrone Roberts. Honestly I'd love for them to just ditch Hunt for this season. I don't see us winning a premiership with our squad and find it unlikely he would be 100% committed anyway. Would rather either try and get Tryone Roberts or JNik back in the squad, or give Kodi a crack and if it doesn't work, recruit for 2018. No point playing Hunt the full season.

Benji Marshall to half back?

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
I have no idea how to compare Jayden's kicking game with Hunt's.

At least with Taylor, he had a traditional Rugby Union style approach to kicking, akin to Lewis and all the other halves that followed suit.

Jayden's approach was utterly different. While most halves are concerned about volume, he'd just slice the ball, getting a ton of back-spin that would torment the back three. At times it was like watching a 90s slapstick comedy with the fullback and the wingers tripping over themselves trying to get to the ball, only for Jayden to swoop in.

I'm not sure how that style would play in the NRL. I could see it bamboozling some teams, but once the tip sheet went out, I'm not sure if Jayden would have a Plan B, C or D to compensate.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
Remember when SBW left Rugby League and fans thought the sky was falling in? Or when Wendell left for RU and fans thought we would never see another winger like him in Rugby League?
Or when Burgess left? What are we going to do?!

I relate all this to Hunt leaving the Broncos (yet to be confirmed!)
The sky won't fall in. Broncos will find another Halfback. A young guy gets his chance. That's Rugby League.

There is always another young guy waiting for his shot at the big time. You may not be able to name him, or immediately be able to identify who that young guy is, but he is there, guaranteed.

You're right the sky isn't falling but it isn't easy to replace a half. The Broncos have been trying to replace Alf now for 18 years. Having acknowledged that it isn't easy I am comforted by conversations today and the lack of stress from the staff.

If it was any other position I don't think you'd see panic but halves are hard to find, great ones near impossible.

Complementing Milford, right side player who can organise is the wish list and they're confident it can be found/produced in the next 12 months.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010
So you're saying that Hunt's immaculate game management and defence (in which he's arguably the worst in the NRL at both) have you rating him above Nikorima (Who you think is a far better kicker, and equally as good runner)?

:notsureifserious:

Not even trying to have a go at you, just trying to figure out where you're at.
Jayden was always an off the cuff player, admittedly similar to Hunt in that aspect, but never really showed game management skills, while his passing wasn't prevalent either (probably due to being very individualistic like his brother).
His defense was pretty poor, and his minute size doesn't help. Btw, this is one item I completely disagree with you on. Hunt's defense for a half is actually quite decent.
Finally, outside of experience, which does count for something, Hunt has always shown to be a team player and work hard for his mates. Not quite sure about Jayden...

His talent is exciting, but there are quite a few things that need to fall in place for him to become a superstar.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
...Hunt's defense for a half is actually quite decent...
...Hunt has always shown to be a team player and work hard for his mates...

Where was this Hunt praise 12 months ago????? ;)

B

big k

QCup Player
Apr 10, 2013
You're right the sky isn't falling but it isn't easy to replace a half. The Broncos have been trying to replace Alf now for 18 years. Having acknowledged that it isn't easy I am comforted by conversations today and the lack of stress from the staff.

If it was any other position I don't think you'd see panic but halves are hard to find, great ones near impossible.

Complementing Milford, right side player who can organise is the wish list and they're confident it can be found/produced in the next 12 months.

I think people can read this, have some faith in White and Bennett, and calm the *insert four letter word here* down.

Stix

Stix

NRL Player
Mar 28, 2014
The "Tyrone Robers to Broncos"rumour started about the same time as the "Hunts gone" rumours so I wouldn't be surprised if something like this occurred. Roberts is another running half, attacks the line a lot with some success... Can kick conversions, but can't think I've seen him control a game too well? A few games he played at the Knights he looked pretty dangerous.

International Rep
Apr 14, 2013
The "Tyrone Robers to Broncos"rumour started about the same time as the "Hunts gone" rumours so I wouldn't be surprised if something like this occurred. Roberts is another running half, attacks the line a lot with some success... Can kick conversions, but can't think I've seen him control a game too well? A few games he played at the Knights he looked pretty dangerous.

Young Tyrone was with our Roberts, I have no idea what his behaviour was like on the night in question. But it would look pretty odd to sack player A for incident but sign his co-pilot.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Young Tyrone was with our Roberts, I have no idea what his behaviour was like on the night in question. But it would look pretty odd to sack player A for incident but sign his co-pilot.

IT WAS A SETUP!

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • teampjta
  • mieko
  • Sproj
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.