Hypothetical new coach in 2011?

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008
Je$ter said:
[quote="Bucking Beads":3p7klrzi]I just think Sheens is a myth, Tigers are lucky to be in the position they are and have just as poor defence as the Broncos.

+1.

I still feel the Tigers in general are a myth. They throw the ball around and what not, but unfortunately that won't win premierships (most of the time). Sure you can say 'but they did it in '05,' bu the game has changed a lot since then.[/quote:3p7klrzi]

thank f-ing god EVERYONE isn't drinking the Tigers cool-aid .. Seriously, if they'd have finished second on the table I'd have puked in my mouth and felt embarrassed for every player on every team that's ever finished an NRL / ARL / NSWRL permiership season runner up to the minor premier.

They're the most unconvincing top four side I've seen in years ... flamboyant flakes ... and I'd be shocked if their opposition didn't send them packing from the finals in straight sets.

K

kluppy

QCup Player
Feb 2, 2010
people keep brushing past the idea but i really think phil gould would be a great coach for the broncos. i know he talks a lot of sh_t on tv but he also analyses the games very well. he's passoinate about football and that would be great to have at the club.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
kluppy said:
people keep brushing past the idea but i really think phil gould would be a great coach for the broncos. i know he talks a lot of sh_t on tv but he also analyses the games very well. he's passoinate about football and that would be great to have at the club.

apart from the fact that Gould hates the Broncos he would also never work for a team where News Ltd was the major shareholder.

as i've been saying if you want to sign a coach that your entire fan base despise you might as well go for the best and get Gould, because unlike Stuart, Gould actually knows how to coach a team

K

kluppy

QCup Player
Feb 2, 2010
Foordy said:
kluppy said:

apart from the fact that Gould hates the Broncos he would also never work for a team where News Ltd was the major shareholder.

as i've been saying if you want to sign a coach that your entire fan base despise you might as well go for the best and get Gould, because unlike Stuart, Gould actually knows how to coach a team

i'm a massive broncos fan and i don't despise him.....

rnabokov

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
I'd take Gould in a heartbeat. Even Warren Ryan.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
Regardless of the hypotheticals, the talk on Stuart seems to have gone very quiet since the 'announcement'.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Raw Boned Youngster said:
Regardless of the hypotheticals, the talk on Stuart seems to have gone very quiet since the 'announcement'.

It won't happen because Hannant has a clause in his contract that Stuart won't be coaching the Broncos.

K

kluppy

QCup Player
Feb 2, 2010
Anonymous person said:
I think it'd be stupid to get rid of henjak now.

- noone gave us a hope in hell before the season began of even making the finals. We missed out by 1-2 wins.
- we lose our 2nd biggest name player for the season before a single game has been played.
- we've got the youngest team in the competition by a country mile, if not the youngest team that has ever competed week in week out in the NRL/ARL/NSWRL.
- we had just about our worst injury toll we've ever had, losing like 8 players within the first few weeks.
- we lost Lockyer for the last what, 4 weeks? Take the main player out of any team and they'll struggle, especially one of Lockyers calibre.
- we've got the least creative halfback in the competition, so when the pressure was on him to get us points we just couldn't and it cost us matches.
- it's only the coaches second year

Dropping him now would be stupid, he's barely even had a chance.

i agree with all your points here ap, unforunately, i agree particularly about the point of wallace under performing. i say unfortunately because he's a tough little bast_rd but that doesn't excuse his form.

the main issue i have with henjak are his selection decisions, everyone has seen all year that wallace has struggled, yet he kept getting selected, we had another good young halfback in the squad, why not rest wallace for a couple of weeks and give hunt a go? i really do have to question whether his selections go on form or whoever he happens to like that week... kenny being regularly selected and sims missing out is another example.

the other issue i have is it doesn't appear that henjak has brought anything new in attack over the last couple of years, we are still using the same old moves from the bennett era. israel was horribly under utilised, particularly on the wing for the first year.

ivan may well be a good coach, we don't see what happens behind closed doors so we can only judge by what we see in the media and on the field. and i'm afraid i don't like what i have seen. personally, i think he should go, now. but i also realise that this may not be the best time to be trying to find a new coach. so ok, give him another year, hopefully he will have a full healthy squad, and if we do well then maybe we have been a bit harsh on ivan the incompotent, but if we under achieve in 2011 there will be no excuses.

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
Dexter said:
Here is the scuttle, Stuart will be NSW coach next year, WB may, be back in 2012

Part one of the scuttle, tick, now for part two.... Fingers crossed.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Indeed Wallace struggled this season, but I'm not convinced rushing Ben Hunt this season (2010) into replace him on the spot would have been in Hunt's or the team's longterm interests(for all those pushing for him to take over and now take over Wallace, there also those highly critical of his performance in games like the against the Sharks) with regards to his development, the Broncos have made mistakes with rushing upandcoming halfback's and 5/8ths in the past(Seymour and Ben Walker are good examples) infact I think what Henjak did with regards to Hunt playing from the bench as a playmaking utility and playing the odd game when required is very inline with what the Broncos did with Darren Lockyer in his early seasons at the club, which produced the proper results. Next season Wallace definitely needs to step up and if in a reasonable timeframe he hasn't stepped up then I think with Hunt's regular inclusion in the first grade side this season as well hopefully next season he will be a suitable option that if Henjak is serious about his position will have to be willing to consider if it comes to that.

As far as Kenny and Sims goes, form alone shouldn't be the selection criteria (I'm not saying its not important just there other things to consider as well) and there have been rumblings of Sim's attitude behind doors, and Sims had shown he can be inconsistent on the field I'm not justifying Kenny's selection or others for that matter over him but I wouldn't be so quick to have pushed for Sims. Form and risk taking wise he backed and stuck with the youngster likes of Hoffman, Glenn, Gillett, McCollough and was willing to experiment playing Hunt off the bench so you can't solely say all his selections have been negative, coaches be it rookies or even the best in the business like Bennett won't always get it right and if you expect them to your being unrealistic. Overall it wasn't our best season thats for sure, but I do think AP brings up some valid points that contributed towards its result.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008
Indeed Wallace struggled this season, but I'm not convinced rushing Ben Hunt this season (2010) into replace him on the spot would have been in Hunt's or the team's longterm interests(for all those pushing for him to take over and now take over Wallace, there also those highly critical of his performance in games like the against the Sharks) with regards to his development, the Broncos have made mistakes with rushing upandcoming halfback's and 5/8ths in the past(Seymour and Ben Walker are good examples) infact I think what Henjak did with regards to Hunt playing from the bench as a playmaking utility and playing the odd game when required is very inline with what the Broncos did with Darren Lockyer in his early seasons at the club, which produced the proper results. Next season Wallace definitely needs to step up and if in a reasonable timeframe he hasn't stepped up then I think with Hunt's regular inclusion in the first grade side this season as well hopefully next season he will be a suitable option that if Henjak is serious about his position will have to be willing to consider if it comes to that.

icon_thumbs_u couldn't of put it better myself.

Watching some ol 2005 matches, geez Seymour was a talent, people who crap on about Ben Hunt being a future superstar should take note from Seymour.

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
icon_thumbs_u couldn't of put it better myself.

Watching some ol 2005 matches, geez Seymour was a talent, people who crap on about Ben Hunt being a future superstar should take note from Seymour.

Exactly, talent is one thing, but confidence can be a make or break thing for players in such crucial roles at such a young age IMO, where in other positions you can get away with decent performances, you don't have that luxury at say halfback or 5/8th IMO because your expected to produce results above that of the norm and there are those players who take longer to develop and I think Hunt benefited from being included in the side but not in a position where he was expected to be one of the key playmakers week in week out so early on, instead allowing him to build up confidence and experience, we made the mistake with Seymour and Ben Walker of rushing them and paid the price.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Hunt has talent something Wallace lacks.....

GCBRONCO

GCBRONCO

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008
Bucking Beads said:
Hunt has talent something Wallace lacks.....

Wallace has talent, I'm sure others like yourself will debate it and thats fine but a lack of confidence, injuries and form contributed to his performance this season. Still as I said earlier I think we and the majority of the forum will agree he should definitely face competition in 2011 for his spot and I think Hunt will be ready for that role soon if it comes that.

R

Raw Boned Youngster

QCup Player
Mar 9, 2008
Bucking, you are better off doing something constructive like setting your wedding tackle alight.

Wallace is a genuine talent. He is let down by the dumbness of the oaf like forwards who have no concept of attacking ' defensive' runs.
Blame the garden gnome actually.
Get Bellamy - he would win us some silverware.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
Bellamy needs to rort the cap to win silverware and he won;t be doing that in Brisbane. Wallace is a muppet who needs to stand up and lead the team like he should be or go back to Sydney and live.

Ghibli

Ghibli

QCup Player
Mar 5, 2008
Yeah I think that a combination of all of the above contribute to Wallace's performances. Early last year I got in inkling that Henjak was trying to go with a lighter, more agile, fitter, ball playing forward pack. However, I can't really be sure in the latter half of last season, and this entire season what he intended our forward pack to be. Every couple of weeks he has a different forward line-up, though injuries and form hasn't helped his cause.

If I was coach I would change my forward pack to be those things I listed above:

8. Hannant
9. McCollough
10. Anderson
11. Parker
12. Thaiday
13. Gillett

14. Glenn
15. McGuire
16. T'eo
17. Kenny/Tronc (however I was impressed with Lui and Hala)

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • barker
  • Jedhead
  • Mustafur
  • Dash
  • lynx000
  • broncotville
  • Mr Fourex
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • Ozired
  • matthewransom34@ic
  • Jazza
  • Broncorob
  • Lostboy
  • Cavalo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Rookie Alan
  • BroncoFan94
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.