If you were broncos coach

Awesome idea for a thread @Renegade

Top stuff. Some great responses.

Interesting scenario. Firstly, it's a job I could never do.

Being a coach at any level is hard enough. The coach of the Brisbane Broncos - that's pressure on a whole different level.

When Wayne Bennett returned in 2015, I think it was Robert Craddock that said big clubs need big personalities.

There may be something in that.

The problems I see with the side, in no particular order, are:

- Dead weight. They need to be cut loose. For some of our players, their best football is behind them and they're on their third or fourth coach now and haven't shown much improvement under most of them.

- Complete lack of respect for possession of the football and respect for the opposition. Too many times Brisbane just seem like they'll coast to a win. Those terrible kicks on the third tackle. Squandering possession, either after scoring points, or in prime attacking real estate, is incredibly frustrating to watch.

A coach should put an emphasis on completing sets and kicking to the corners. There is no better way of building pressure.

- Marker defence is shockingly bad and/or non-existent. It's terrible to watch as a fan. Good luck fixing that.

- Something I've noticed that doesn't seem to get much traction (so I could be imagining things) but does it seem to you like the squad are just going through the motions and don't want to be there? There seems to be a real malaise affecting the club. They don't look like they're enjoying their footy at all.

A theory I had that might have been the root cause of this was the attrition that sets in with a long term coach like Bennett. I thought Seibold would bring an energy and vitality to the club and the players would respond to it.

Even if results weren't going our way, I thought the promise of a new approach would be obvious. That hasn't been the case, imo.

There are other problems, particularly with the spine, but those problems I highlighted are the ones getting my goat up.

Anyways, it's still early days. There are some positives - am liking Staggs - what a player he'll be!

I want to see the Broncs do well.

Nice post mate and pretty much spot on I reckon!

- Something I've noticed that doesn't seem to get much traction (so I could be imagining things) but does it seem to you like the squad are just going through the motions and don't want to be there? There seems to be a real malaise affecting the club. They don't look like they're enjoying their footy at all.

Not that they don't want to be there, it's more like they are satisfied with doing the bare minimum. They are happy to collect a paycheque and not do any extras.

1. Isaako. We need to start seeing if he really is the fullback of the future.
3/4. Roberts/Stags.
5. Boyd on the wing outside of Roberts. Simple job that he can do (fullback is too much decision making).
6. Bird . Defensive boost and playcaller boost. Toughen up defense in the middle where our 6/7 are getting crushed and forcing gaps outwide to compensate. Bird has skills, is vocal and is no worse of a kicker than Nikorima.
7. Milf
9. Macca/Nikorima combo. Macca can't handle the 80.

Pull either Macca/Boyd aside and ask them to retire early. Offer some social media jobs after wards.

Experiment at training with Stags at hooker for potentially 2020+ incase Turpin is a bust.

1910, Wolfie and any other of you fellas who know a lot about the ISC comp, are there any seasoned halfbacks we could possibly bring into our 30, and hence, the first grade team? Does Cameron Cullen still go alright? Sorry, haven't watched any ISC this year yet. There must be some experienced half out there floating about in QLD or NSW Cup who knows how to play the role we so desperately need. Just that Shane Perry type.

Tbh, i'm not actually convinced there is a player of that type running around in the ISC in Queensland. I do like Josh Cleeland who is back at the jets, but he isnt really a halfback.

Not that they don't want to be there, it's more like they are satisfied with doing the bare minimum. They are happy to collect a paycheque and not do any extras.

Great point and really who can blame them?

We still draw huge crowds, sponsorships are spectacular, membership numbers are terrific. The club makes millions despite our lack of premiership success.

If you're going to make a shitload of money regardless of whether you phone it in or kick arse...why kick arse?

Tbh, i'm not actually convinced there is a player of that type running around in the ISC in Queensland. I do like Josh Cleeland who is back at the jets, but he isnt really a halfback.

A bit of a rare commodity eh. Which makes you wonder why there seems to be a bit of a dearth of good quality halfbacks that seemed to be a dime a dozen back in the 80's and 90's. It really still baffles as to how we as a club have only really ever had one genuine great halfback in Alfie. At the moment, a Shane Perry would most likely suffice, but we don't even seem to be able to pull one of those out of our hat. Will it be one of our hyped youngsters that steps up, I really don't know the answer.

Last edited:
And we would all cheer your decision. Fortunately you're not, and it's Seibold who still has a mountain to climb, cleaning up all the bad habits and incomprehensible decisions inherited from the previous coach.

How’s that going?

Honestly don't think we should change up to much atm , obviously 7 and 9 is an issue but we don't have anything better. I don't think moving isaako to fullback is in his best interests, he needs confidence. I think we need to suck it up for a few more rounds, get some confidence back playing some lower teams and go from there. I think our go forward , ball possession and handling is what we need to get right.

The cowboys game showed we can play footy but the other 3 possession has been a biggest issue, so fix that and see if things change.

it's going to take time ... "bad habits and incomprehensible decisions inherited from the previous coach" are deeply ingrained.

I sit here eagerly awaiting the improvement

Last edited:
Honestly don't think we should change up to much atm , obviously 7 and 9 is an issue but we don't have anything better. I don't think moving isaako to fullback is in his best interests, he needs confidence. I think we need to suck it up for a few more rounds, get some confidence back playing some lower teams and go from there. I think our go forward , ball possession and handling is what we need to get right.

The cowboys game showed we can play footy but the other 3 possession has been a biggest issue, so fix that and see if things change.

This is a really sensible post.

I just watched the Roosters replay. As a few others have observed, not exactly in these words, we created a lot of good attacking opportunities, however with 1 exception - the well crafted Gillo try, the execution was off: the Bird and Shibasaki stuff ups, Oates being out of position to take Boyd's pass in the 1st half to name a few. Also, Tupou's try in the first half from the kick was Mitchell obstructing Isaako conveniently missed by the refs and the bad luck with Staggs superb effort but to be held up.

What's that? 5 tries we could have scored last night, and I am actually positive that in a few weeks, we will be scoring them once the structures gel.

Seems to me like Seibs IS adding some positive attacking structures in place and the team is taking time to adjust and execute them properly. Time and patience is needed.

Macca does need to engage the markers before looping his passes, definitely. The play the balls need to be so much faster and the halves need to split the middle before going wide. However, I am seeing signs of this evolving. New coach, new structures, old habits being dismantled.

Defence however is a different story. Poor line speed for the whole match and not just the 1st 10 minutes is bad news, as are poor defensive reads: S'ua, Offa, Boyd = 3 tries. Oates and Isaako coming off their wings = BAD. The 1st Roosters try had 4 on 3. WTF?

They were all really seriously SLACK defensive reads which are totally unacceptable and a repeat ought to result in those players being kicked up the arse.

Isaako is showing every sign that his football brain has disengaged: dropped balls, and that ridiculous flashy side step towards the side line transferring all his momentum to help being dragged into touch. Isaako for FB. You have to be joking.

Like Seibs said last week. The little things need a lot of work - holding the ball, supporting the ball carrier e.g. however there are now BIG things as well: defence - line speed, and decision making, and a lot of that comes back to a lack of COMMUNICATION in the middle = leadership.

This is not dire for mine but a new side adjusting to a new coach with a few slackers who need kicks up the arse.

Me? I'm optimistic. Bring on the Tigers.

Last edited:
Do you though? It seems like you'd rather be right than see us win.

Nothing would make me happier than a broncos premiership and me be eating humble pie. I just don’t see it.

I really can’t be bothered responding to the other tripe in your post, so I’ll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible.

So I’m clear, and to borrow your language; you can’t seem to get through your thick skull that Boyd’s terrible attitude, application and efforts over the last 18 months are absolutely one of the reasons this team has been stinking it up for as long as it has. It’s toxic and trickles from the top down.

But for so long, you’ve been defending him against such criticism and still can’t see that it’s been a problem for more than just “recently” as you put it.

Now he’s stinking it up deluxe, as many of us have recognised for a very, very long time, you’ve been strangely quiet on the topic.
You realise there are levels of problems that contribute to our losses? Not being able to wrestle well enough was one, always ending up on our backs was another. No halfback to lead us around and kicking the ball twenty metres on the last so the opposition started their set of six at halfway. Most of these lead to us being on the back foot more so than a fullback that was slow and sometimes didn't put his body on the line. The actual problems that lose us games are glossed over so people can have their scapegoat.

I went away for a while because this place is on par with the LU forum in regards to the circle jerk of a few posters repeating their shitty opinions over and over and over and over. The very few people who have an idea of coaching a sport and notice what needs to be changed are an asset to this forum but the armchair professionals who have absolutely no idea are ruining it for the rest of us. That's you by the way, and @I bleed Maroon as well. The two of you should go back to the Facebook comment section where you belong. BronxNation might be a better fit for you. They love shitty opinions being repeated over there.

Macca does need to engage the markers
wouldnt mind seeing a few more dummy and run from him.atm the only decision markers have to make against us is how quick they want to slide to the side the ball is going.

Awesome idea for a thread @Renegade

Top stuff. Some great responses.

Interesting scenario. Firstly, it's a job I could never do.

Being a coach at any level is hard enough. The coach of the Brisbane Broncos - that's pressure on a whole different level.

When Wayne Bennett returned in 2015, I think it was Robert Craddock that said big clubs need big personalities.

There may be something in that.

The problems I see with the side, in no particular order, are:

- Dead weight. They need to be cut loose. For some of our players, their best football is behind them and they're on their third or fourth coach now and haven't shown much improvement under most of them.

- Complete lack of respect for possession of the football and respect for the opposition. Too many times Brisbane just seem like they'll coast to a win. Those terrible kicks on the third tackle. Squandering possession, either after scoring points, or in prime attacking real estate, is incredibly frustrating to watch.

A coach should put an emphasis on completing sets and kicking to the corners. There is no better way of building pressure.

- Marker defence is shockingly bad and/or non-existent. It's terrible to watch as a fan. Good luck fixing that.

A theory I had that might have been the root cause of this was the attrition that sets in with a long term coach like Bennett. I thought Seibold would bring an energy and vitality to the club and the players would respond to it.

Even if results weren't going our way, I thought the promise of a new approach would be obvious. That hasn't been the case, imo.

There are other problems, particularly with the spine, but those problems I highlighted are the ones getting my goat up.

Anyways, it's still early days. There are some positives - am liking Staggs - what a player he'll be!

I want to see the Broncs do well.

You absolutely nailed it mate. All we wanted from this year onwards is - better mentality and attitude on the field with top quality performance week in week out. In this process, there will be games where we might loose very closely but, those losses should inspire the playing group to correct and excel the following week. Not the abysmal performance we been witnessing. Very disappointing to see this sort of rubbish.

There has to be changes & overhaul with the playing group. The sooner we do it, the better.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Jedhead
  • Wolfie
  • Xzei
  • ChewThePhatt
  • NSW stables
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • jd87
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Fitzy
  • broncotville
  • Dony Eliakim
  • LittleDavey
  • Browny
  • phoenix
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Mister Wright
  • Dash
  • Manofoneway
... and 5 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.