If you were broncos coach

I have never once overlooked it. I have said numerous times that he's not up to par but when posters continuously repeat that he has been the major problem without bringing up our real major problems, I have argued against them. Saying others deserve criticism and that things weren't entirely Boyds fault does not mean I'm deflecting anything. We've gone through this before but what is truely remarkable is how you geniuses see what you want to see in regards to my posts.

This post is the pinnacle of what's wrong with your arguments, literally nobody has said our losses or our problems are entirely on Boyd & McCullough, every single person on here is well aware that the issues are far and wide.

You seem to be having PTSD from the Hunt era where people were quite literally blaming him solely for every loss, justifiably so in some cases I might add. I could empathise with you deflecting some of the blame in that situation to an extent, because Hunt was one of many issues in the 2016 & 2017 teams, but this is clearly a different situation.

Everyone knows the team is playing shit as a unit, we're just singling out 2 of the most experienced, yet least impactful and arguably most detrimental members of the current iteration. In fact we're not even really singling them out, most people who are shitting on those two are also including Nikorima, Isaako, Su'A, etc.. You just seem to be defending those 2 guys because.. who knows, maybe you like to be different.

This post is the pinnacle of what's wrong with your arguments, literally nobody has said our losses or our problems are entirely on Boyd & McCullough, every single person on here is well aware that the issues are far and wide.

You seem to be having PTSD from the Hunt era where people were quite literally blaming him solely for every loss, justifiably so in some cases I might add. I could empathise with you deflecting some of the blame in that situation to an extent, because Hunt was one of many issues in the 2016 & 2017 teams, but this is clearly a different situation.

Everyone knows the team is playing shit as a unit, we're just singling out 2 of the most experienced, yet least impactful and arguably most detrimental members of the current iteration. In fact we're not even really singling them out, most people who are shitting on those two are also including Nikorima, Isaako, Su'A, etc.. You just seem to be defending those 2 guys because.. who knows, maybe you like to be different.

There are plenty though who are so fixated on what Macca or Boyd do wrong they seem to overlook rubbish from everyone else. I think they have both been bang average personally, but the way some people were going on about them the other night you would think they carried us to a loss. There were plenty worse than them.

There are plenty though who are so fixated on what Macca or Boyd do wrong they seem to overlook rubbish from everyone else. I think they have both been bang average personally, but the way some people were going on about them the other night you would think they carried us to a loss. There were plenty worse than them.

Macca hasn't been as bad as Boyd, but I think it's more the fact that they are such critical positions that below average games from those guys can (and have) affect(ed) the side far greater than an average game from most other positions. Hooker is the first influence in both attack and defence generally, and it flows on to the team from there

Boyd is struggling on field, hes position either side of the ruck is lazy when it comes to moving with the ball. If hes to be successful as a FB and an organising FB - he needs to be 1-2 plays ahead constantly. Watching, predicting and listening to the opposition halves. He has not been doing this well, which is why we are getting caught out in our own 20 all the time. The fact hes having to run so far and then over-run a play tells me hes not reading the game, studying his opposition or giving himself enough time. Both are lazy traits and not acceptable for first grade. His current form would barely make a NSW cup squad.

For Macca - he needs to lay off the tackle work and use his arms and back to pass rather than just his shoulders. The service is slow, lofty and not accurate. A lot of his passes end up behind, above, short or far of the chest. That's something he can work on - but is it being worked on? He also cramps his own space behind the player, playing the ball. If he takes half a step back he can improve his technique. This also gives him a good shoot angle if he wants to dart and pass rather than straight into the markers.

For the pack - there's no leading heart
Niko and Milford cant really get a great chance when the pressure is on them 0.5 seconds after they receive the ball. However i still expect they are able to steer a game - which they havnt been. I'm willing to cut Kodi some slack on this, but i still think he would be a great hooker.

Last edited:
If we are stuck with Macca then at the very least I want him to learn to spiral pass- something I have been competent at since I was a child.

Wolfie I agree, however i disagree. Boyd is the captain - his attitude on field does not reflect this. Poor attitude is poison in a football team that's under the pump. If its OK for the captain to wave his hand in the air crying for a penalty because he misread a play - what ownership are the forwards, or youngsters going to aspire to?

Last edited:
Wolfie I agree, however i disagree. Boyd is the captain - his attitude on field does not reflect this. Poor attitude is poison in a football team that's under the pump. If its OK for the captain to wave his hand in the air crying for a penalty because he misread a play - what ownership are the forwards, or youngsters going to aspire to?

Good teams have more than one leader though we don't. Every player should take ownership for their own performance anyway.

I do think Boyd is a good captain in a lot of ways, but currently on the pitch he isn't lifting the team enough when they need it.

Good teams have more than one leader though we don't. Every player should take ownership for their own performance anyway.

I do think Boyd is a good captain in a lot of ways, but currently on the pitch he isn't lifting the team enough when they need it.

Sure i do agree, i think we do - but they cant. Bird, Gillette and Glenn stand out for me. In successive years we've lost Hodges and Parker and then some ways Moose. Who did WB promote to fill Hodges and Parker? Both even on Boyd's best day are still better leaders and were the right position on and off the field to also.

Not picking - discussing, what ways do you think Boyd is a good captain?

Last edited:
If we are stuck with Macca then at the very least I want him to learn to spiral pass- something I have been competent at since I was a child.

Doesn’t he always do that? At least that’s what his action tells me he’s trying to do. He’s trying to textbook spiral every time with his big step in and motion. That step kills the momentum

Sure i do agree, i think we do - but they cant. Bird, Gillette and Glenn stand out for me. In successive years we've lost Hodges and Parker and then some ways Moose. Who did WB promote to fill Hodges and Parker? Both even on Boyd's best day are still better leaders and were the right position on and off the field to also.

Not picking - discussing, what ways do you think Boyd is a good captain?

He has a lot of respect from the players off the field especially coming through the kind of problems he has. He is a positive influence on the younger guys in terms of how he goes about doing things in training and how he handles himself and looks after himself. I don't think he is leading that great on the field, but that still doesn't mean he isn't a good captain.

As coach, I would start off making one major change that's overdue.

It's the player who passes the ball more than twice as often as the Halfback. Five Eighth and Fullback combined. He's head of the engine room, yet is so inept at passing he propels the ball end over end. He literally can't pass a football properly. He's not holding it right. He's not injecting force at the correct vector. So his passes don't travel with any momentum. They arrive late, just before the defence. He lobs like your sister.

On paper, Macca looks fine: tops the tackle count for the competition. Makes few errors. Plays eighty minutes. Great guy. Everyone loves him. Looks like he should be captain.

On the field, however, he's killing the attack cold. We're starved of possession. And we're having to tackle more.

Let's worry about the AMOUNT we're having to tackle before we jump to conclusions about needing to tackle better. Our guys know how to tackle.

Macca has to be dropped altogether. Sent back to the QLD cup with the remit to learn to pass. Let's see how that works out.

Meanwhile, the other glaring issue is the Captain. He's neither leading, directing the play, nor carrying out the duties of a Fullback.

But unlike Macca, he does have all the skills and has been a genuinely great player in the past, at a rep level. There is no obvious replacement to lead the team. We need to wedge him into whatever position we can in the short term. But he has to move from Fullback.

My radical suggestion would be to move Boyd into the Dummy Half role, where he's closer to the action and might be capable of directing the play. That might even solve the problem of neither Half being able to plan or direct plays. If he's not up to the defensive requirements, then I'm afraid he, too, might be surplus to requirements. We can't afford to play retirement home forever.

The rest of the team, in my opinion, has upside. Even Isaako who's had serial shockers this season.

Having seen the team transform into worldbeaters in the few games Macca missed last season, I'm very confident we'll improve without him. Whether Boyd can fill his boots, less so. In the event Boyd embarrasses himself further, I'd be inclined to swap him with Bird, mid game if need be.

If that experiment improves the team, then we look at a proper long term hooker replacement. One who can lead a team around the park. Otherwise, we're going to have to juggle Niko and one of the many youngsters, none of whom appear to be ready.

Last edited:
Milford to centres with his file stamped never to play in halves again.

Knick to half back for rest of season to see know he goes . He would need to be our game manager.. Bird a shot at 6 for a few games or some young gun at the club who I would not have seen

Start sniffing around for a top line 6 and7. for next yearE.g. Mitchell Pearce, Hodgekins, Maloney orr some stand out youngster

Try and get Jake Granville back..

Isako to get special one on one coaching from an old great like Hodges or Slater to get his confidence back and technique right.

Last edited:
As coach, I would start off making one major change that's overdue.

It's the player who passes the ball more than twice as often as the Halfback. Five Eighth and Fullback combined. He's head of the engine room, yet is so inept at passing he propels the ball end over end. He literally can't pass a football properly. He's not holding it right. He's not injecting force at the correct vector. So his passes don't travel with any momentum. They arrive late, just before the defence. He lobs like your sister.

On paper, Macca looks fine: tops the tackle count for the competition. Makes few errors. Plays eighty minutes. Great guy. Everyone loves him. Looks like he should be captain.

On the field, however, he's killing the attack cold. We're starved of possession. And we're having to tackle more.

Let's worry about the AMOUNT we're having to tackle before we jump to conclusions about needing to tackle better. Our guys know how to tackle.

Macca has to be dropped altogether. Sent back to the QLD cup with the remit to learn to pass. Let's see how that works out.

Meanwhile, the other glaring issue is the Captain. He's neither leading, directing the play, nor carrying out the duties of a Fullback.

But unlike Macca, he does have all the skills and has been a genuinely great player in the past, at a rep level. There is no obvious replacement to lead the team. We need to wedge him into whatever position we can in the short term. But he has to move from Fullback.

My radical suggestion would be to move Boyd into the Dummy Half role, where he's closer to the action and might be capable of directing the play. That might even solve the problem of neither Half being able to plan or direct plays. If he's not up to the defensive requirements, then I'm afraid he, too, might be surplus to requirements. We can't afford to play retirement home forever.

The rest of the team, in my opinion, has upside. Even Isaako who's had serial shockers this season.

Having seen the team transform into worldbeaters in the few games Macca missed last season, I'm very confident we'll improve without him. Whether Boyd can fill his boots, less so. In the event Boyd embarrasses himself further, I'd be inclined to swap him with Bird, mid game if need be.

If that experiment improves the team, then we look at a proper long term hooker replacement. One who can lead a team around the park. Otherwise, we're going to have to juggle Niko and one of the many youngsters, none of whom appear to be ready.

Our guys know how to tackle? Explain how we are missing so many then. We aren't having to tackle more because of Macca apparently killing our attack. Thats an absolutely comical statement. We are having to tackle more because we aren't holding the ball, and we aren't completing our sets. Thats it in a nutshell. We don't have possession of the ball, we are going to tackle more.

This isnt me defending his general play either because like the majority of our team, its not good enough, but Boyd and Macca aren't our two glaring issues, they are just two of our issues right now.

Macca hasn't been as bad as Boyd, but I think it's more the fact that they are such critical positions that below average games from those guys can (and have) affect(ed) the side far greater than an average game from most other positions. Hooker is the first influence in both attack and defence generally, and it flows on to the team from there

Macca isn’t bad. But he’s been that way for 10 years and some people are still waiting for him to get to the next level.

Milford to centres with his file stamped never to play in halves again.

Knick to half back for rest of season to see know he goes . He would need to be our game manager.. Bird a shot at 6 for a few games or some young gun at the club who I would not have seen

Start sniffing around for a top line 6 and7. for next yearE.g. Mitchell Pearce, Hodgekins, Maloney orr some stand out youngster

Try and get Jake Granville back..

Isako to get special one on one coaching from an old great like Hodges or Slater to get his confidence back and technique right.
Wow.

I’d be happy to see Darius out of the side all together, I’m actually embarrassed to have him as captain and actively dislike the guy now. To the Boyd apologists, I don’t blame him for us being 1-3 but he is our captain and he’s a player of 28 origins, 23 tests and 2 premierships. He’s had the privilege of playing alongside and learning from some of the greatest players at club & origin level, his defeatist attitude and passive leadership doesn’t reflect the caliber of leadership he should be showing. He deserves to be called out and isolated by fans and media, he’s got a wealth of big game experience, he’s paid extremely well, he took the 4 year extension and the captaincy, it comes with the territory.

I wouldn’t bat an eye lid at Boyd being dropped, move Bird to FB with staggs coming in at centre. Knik to the bench and revert back to the way he was used in 2015 to spell McCullouch. I’m not the person to ask who of our ISC halves should come in but I’d like to start moving forward from the Knik/Milf pairing.

But I’m a fan, my career and families financial stability isn’t on the line so it’s easy for me to call for those pivotal changes. If I can channel my inner Seibold I’m still biting my nails wondering how much longer I can use the inheritance excuse to allow Boyd to continue taking the piss, Playing Knik in a position he is clearly unqualified for & McCullouch’s lack of accountability alongside his predictable, non threatening one dimensional play.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Johnny92
  • kiwi2
  • MrRobot
  • winslow_wong
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Aldo
  • Foordy
  • Bucking Beads
  • marw
  • Wolfie
  • Harry Sack
  • Browny
  • BroncoFan94
  • Waynesaurus
  • Behind enemy lines
  • Rambstien
  • broncos4life
  • Skathen
  • jarro65
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.