International rugby league

• Thread starter Lockysillegitimatechild
  • Start date
This is an opportunity to really push to grow the game in the US.

It's growing in popularity there. It's slow progress, but it's progress. Take as many NRL games as we can to the US and then take the WC there.

This is an opportunity to really push to grow the game in the US.

It's growing in popularity there. It's slow progress, but it's progress. Take as many NRL games as we can to the US and then take the WC there.

What evidence do you have to support this growing popularity there?

I think to really shore up the pacific it would be nice to have the next world cup with a decent time zone, the last one was just stupid and there was little effort to even make it more suitable to the primary audience.

What evidence do you have to support this growing popularity there?
The only thing that could support that from what I have seen is the Pasifika diaspora that live there especially in the West Coast showing support.

I think if League is to try get involved in the US the main areas of Focus should be on the west coast of the US, the US is a huge place with alot of people and league doesn't have the money to just spend millions making some huge loss making pro league there like union does.

I think if they focus on Areas like Hawaii, Bay Area California, Los Angeles, Seattle and Salt Lake City in Utah they could make some good grounds in the coming years, outside of the NRL games they may plan to bring there over what has been proposed they need the internationals as well.

Vegas isn't the worst idea, US has a large population of Samoan and Tongans in California and Utah and vegas is inbetween that, whether they feel interested in watching the regular league games other than the internationals, is to be seen though.

The only thing that could support that from what I have seen is the Pasifika diaspora that live there especially in the West Coast showing support.

I think if League is to try get involved in the US the main areas of Focus should be on the west coast of the US, the US is a huge place with alot of people and league doesn't have the money to just spend millions making some huge loss making pro league there like union does.

I think if they focus on Areas like Hawaii, Bay Area California, Los Angeles, Seattle and Salt Lake City in Utah they could make some good grounds in the coming years, outside of the NRL games they may plan to bring there over what has been proposed they need the internationals as well.

Vegas isn't the worst idea, US has a large population of Samoan and Tongans in California and Utah and vegas is inbetween that, whether they feel interested in watching the regular league games other than the internationals, is to be seen though.

Yeah this was kind of my point. What @Super Freak said simply sounded like Vlandys propaganda. I have spent quire a bit of time in the US and the interest there in league is zero. In fact, of sports that Aussies are interested in, cricket has the most traction and that isn't saying much. Even union is a nothing sport there and internationally, it is far bigger than league can hope to be.

Yeah this was kind of my point. What @Super Freak said simply sounded like Vlandys propaganda. I have spent quire a bit of time in the US and the interest there in league is zero. In fact, of sports that Aussies are interested in, cricket has the most traction and that isn't saying much. Even union is a nothing sport there and internationally, it is far bigger than league can hope to be.
I think League just needs money in the international governing body to make the big gains, as of right now they make small loses every year outside world cup years because there isn't enough games played in regular years.

Union has always had alot of big wealthy benefactors involved at the top level which has helped them grow, league hasn't and alot of the internationals especially in the pacific are run by the NRL not the Governing body so they don't even make money on it.

Last one here they did was the lions tour.

there is a decent amature league or at least there was in vancouver not sure if it is still cracking

Anywho, France hosting it would have been a disaster anyway. Imagine trying to promote it. Come watch our lads fight for the cup, we looked great last game against England, only got beaten 58-0 by them without their NRL players!

Anywho, France hosting it would have been a disaster anyway. Imagine trying to promote it. Come watch our lads fight for the cup, we looked great last game against England, only got beaten 58-0 by them without their NRL players!
Idk, France had 2 teams in the Super league last year but Toulouse got relegated, but they had decent crowd numbers Similar to Huddersfield and above Salford and Wakefield, it's definitely the best place in Europe to grow, Catalans have been solidly in the middle.

Catalans are where ex Roosters players get put out to pasture.

League in England is just a Niche sport. Its only taken seriously up North.

Catalans are where ex Roosters players get put out to pasture.

League in England is just a Niche sport. Its only taken seriously up North.
it's definitely Niche, but atleast the trajectory isn't clear decline like Union in the club scene, in England clubs are dying left and right.

Imagine what could have been If Hammer didn't get injured and Samoa correctly used him as their fullback in the world cup, that said that team has gotten alot stronger this season.

So has Tonga, Katoa is permanently locked in for a decade as their 7, something Samoa lack, though if Oloapu kicks on they might have the biggest question mark unlocked.

Not
Imagine what could have been If Hammer didn't get injured and Samoa correctly used him as their fullback in the world cup, that said that team has gotten alot stronger this season.

So has Tonga, Katoa is permanently locked in for a decade as their 7, something Samoa lack, though if Oloapu kicks on they might have the biggest question mark unlocked.
Not so easy to guarantee when they are second tier nations. These players minds can fluctuate all the time. Isaiya Katoa can play for all 3 of Tonga, Australia and New Zealand. Obviously with Tonga and Australia he is eligible for origin but he is kiwi born so never rule it out. He stated earlier in the year that he dreams to play for the all blacks and whilst that’s one thing coming from Aussie born Kalyn Ponga it could very well mean his heart lies in New Zealand if he was ever to be picked by them or at least more so than Tonga or Australia. Same goes with Karl (3 national teams eligibility) and whilst Hamiso doesn’t have that 3rd option I think he leans more towards his Torres Strait culture and combine that with being Australian born the desire probably sways more towards Australia if he has the honour of being in contention. There is undoubtedly success in the future for these pacific island nations but whether there is a long term success off the back of those 3 in my opinion quite unlikely.

Active Now

• MrTickyMcG
  • Locky's Left Boot
  • Painin the Haas
  • Tim K
  • Galah
  • Organix
  • Mr Fourex
  • winslow_wong
  • Xzei
  • LittleDavey
  • Johnny92
  • kman
  • I bleed Maroon
  • mystico
  • Porthoz
  • BroncosAlways
  • Foordy
  • Harry Sack
  • Stix
  • cento
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.