Israel Folau wants out... I'll show him the door.

i dunno. I wouldn't eat faeces everyday for a million bucks a year...and playing rugby union is about the same.

We can't compete with that, and the NRL needs to do something quickly to stop these Yawnion faggotts continually waving ridiculous amounts of coin under our players noses !!!

I can't hold it against Izzy if he walks for that kind of money

jarro65 said:
We can't compete with that, and the NRL needs to do something quickly to stop these Yawnion faggotts continually waving ridiculous amounts of coin under our players noses !!!

I can't hold it against Izzy if he walks for that kind of money

It's Gould's fundamental argument against the Salary Cap (not just him either, others on this forum have raised it, Ari Gold is one I think). The NRL applying a salary cap belies the fact that players have additional markets they can go to - English Super League, and Rugby Union just about anywhere in the world....and as Harmichael has shown, even gAyFL.

All of those sports either have no salary cap, a salary cap with exemptions for such transfers, or a salary cap that dwarfs the NRL's completely.

The net result is there's absolutely no way the NRL can compete on a dollar basis with these other competitions, and thus if players really want to earn the big dollars they will go. Guys like Darren Lockyer who want to play out their career in the NRL with the one club are as rare as hen's teeth these days, and will only get rarer as the sporting landscape because more business like.

The NRL needs a salary cap in some form, absolutely. But if it's forcing some of our marquee talent to jump ship for double the money they can realistically get here then there's something wrong with it (too small, not enough flexibility for elite players etc).

I watched FoxSports news last night and Laurie Daley was on. They were asking him if by raising the cap, it'd mean retaining players.

He said it wouldn't, because the game couldn't afford to have an increased salary cap ....... yet.

Also on The back Page last night they compared the NRL salary cap limit to the AFL cap, and we're way behind .... and way behind in the value of the TV rights also .... to the tune of some $300 million !!!!!

I believe he was hinting at the fact that the TV rights are coming up for renewal soon, so maybe the new deal will enable more money to be allocated for the players.

Let's hope so.

jarro65 said:
I watched FoxSports news last night and Laurie Daley was on. They were asking him if by raising the cap, it'd mean retaining players.

He said it wouldn't, because the game couldn't afford to have an increased salary cap ....... yet.

Also on The back Page last night they compared the NRL salary cap limit to the AFL cap, and we're way behind .... and way behind in the value of the TV rights also .... to the tune of some $300 million !!!!!

I believe he was hinting at the fact that the TV rights are coming up for renewal soon, so maybe the new deal will enable more money to be allocated for the players.

Let's hope so.

That's the plan. But consensus says News Ltd have to step out of ownership of the NRL to make that happen. Why? News Ltd half owns the NRL, and half owns Fox Sports. So the Fox Sports Pay TV deal for the NRL is subsequently discounted by as much as 50%, simply because it can be.

That's one negative about the Australian TV landscape, there's only one Pay TV sports network, therefore no competition, no bargaining power.

Lots of stuff sucks in Aus when it comes to Technology. But you can't blame for leaving if his paycheck doubles. That's why he's probably having a hard time deciding whether setting himself up financially or keep playing the game he loves. I think with him being so young 3-5 years away from NRL and then come back is probably doable without any real consequence.

I'd play Union for 1m a year. As a back in particular, since they don't really do anything.

It's the good life. Get paid to exercise, travel around the world and stand around catching a cold for 80 minutes
every now and then.

This pisses me off that we have some clubs who cant afford to raise the salary cap. I would rather see 10 elete teams with the best players then having 16 with the best players gone because they cant afford to keep the best players. A club should be able to pay two or three players from their team any amount they want and then the rest come under the salary cap.

We are going to loose all of our talented players because the NRL is to stupid to do anything about it. **** it annoys me.

The game can financially support 16 teams IMO. The problem is mainly the Sharks and Manly who have either bugger all revenue streams or bugger all assets. The only thing keeping the Sharks afloat is their land at Toyota Park.

As much as I don't like the Central Coast or their petulance when offered a team (albeit a merged team), they would be financially more viable than Cronulla. So I would make Cronulla fold and give the Central Coast Bears a gig.

Then I'd look at ways the NRL could invest in Manly to see how they could make them more viable. But only if the community there actually gave a shit. If they don't, then either fold or move.

Coxy said:
The game can financially support 16 teams IMO. The problem is mainly the Sharks and Manly who have either bugger all revenue streams or bugger all assets. The only thing keeping the Sharks afloat is their land at Toyota Park.

As much as I don't like the Central Coast or their petulance when offered a team (albeit a merged team), they would be financially more viable than Cronulla. So I would make Cronulla fold and give the Central Coast Bears a gig.

Then I'd look at ways the NRL could invest in Manly to see how they could make them more viable. But only if the community there actually gave a shit. If they don't, then either fold or move.

+1

if the teams cant afford a rise in the cap then imo they have two options

1 - merge with another team who cant afford it either

2- leave the NRL, your slowing us all down.

Plus the Broncos are rich so we are all good. _woohoo_

Bullshit. It's not the game that can't afford a higher salary cap, it's the losers like the Sharks who have no money. WHy should these useless teams hold the entire game back?

Donny said:

Not as rich as we used to be - and if we keep on not winning for an extended period, we won't be as well off even more

Flutterby said:
Donny said:

Not as rich as we used to be - and if we keep on not winning for an extended period, we won't be as well off even more

Yep. The corporate world isn't so centred on the Broncos now as it was 10 years ago. The Lions early decade success in the 00s and now the Titans becoming a decent club are eating away at south east queensland finances. Reds as well, and to a much lesser extent the Roar.

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • I bleed Maroon
  • FACTHUNT
  • Dash
  • bb_gun
  • mrtij
  • Allo
  • cento
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Aldo
  • Nerd
  • phoenix
  • Astro
  • broncoscope
  • Gaz
... and 3 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.