Israel Folau wants out... I'll show him the door.

Kaz said:
As someone said earlier, there are cliches at the Broncos.

If your not in the right cliche, you are an outsider.

Folau isn't a drinker, so he wouldn't be in the 'cool group'

In this instance, i think uve nailed it.

The drinking issue was always going to be an issue with Folau at the Broncos. They can say what they like, but the Broncos have a massive drinking culture.

Kaz said:
Webcke played in the finals with a broken arm.
webcke had a giant cast on his arm, and came off in the match when he actually broke his arm. he also didnt play with bone sticking out of his arm.

having said that, it was the probably the single toughest thing ive ever seen any football player do.

Kaz said:

clique [icon_wink

Kaz said:

They must not be that smart then. I've always maintained you need a non drinker in any cool drinking group. Who else is gonna drive everyone home? Ok ,I guess there's Alfie, but I'd rather get in the car with someone sober.

Anonymous person said:
Kaz said:
Webcke played in the finals with a broken arm.
webcke had a giant cast on his arm, and came off in the match when he actually broke his arm. he also didnt play with bone sticking out of his arm.

having said that, it was the probably the single toughest thing ive ever seen any football player do.

Yep. Paul Bowman in Origin 2003 was the next greatest IMO. Did his ACL and then stayed on for another 5 minutes, on one leg, and made 3 or 4 one on one tackles.

OXY-351

But a non drinker doesn't want to hang around drunks all the time & be at the beck & call.

agreed. i originally had 'that was the toughest thing', but then remembered good old Bowman and changed it to probably lol.

playing like 3 weeks after breaking your arm is one thing, but playing on and making 2-3 tackles - in a row nonetheless - on one leg and with the amount of pain he mustve been in was just incredible.

Coxy said:
The drinking issue was always going to be an issue with Folau at the Broncos. They can say what they like, but the Broncos have a massive drinking culture.

and I really fkng hate that about the Broncos. They need to cut this shit out. Our boys like partying too much. I would have no problem at all with Broncos management letting the party boys go, no matter how talented they are so we have a hard working, dedicated side.

Thinking about the Folau injury, i really hope this doesnt have a "Brad Meyers" affect on him. He got the injury from his usual no fear jumping for the high ball, which has lead to quite a few 4 pointers. Hopefully he doesnt come back and be too scared to do it anymore.

Didn't Bob Lindner stay on the field for awhile in the 1989 State of Origin with a broken leg.

Kaz said:
Didn't Bob Lindner stay on the field for awhile in the 1989 State of Origin with a broken leg.

Yep, but I don't remember that too much. The Bowman and Webcke heroics are fresher in my mind.

Hell, John Sattler played a grand final with a broken jaw.

we had a game against the sharks years and years ago where i remember we had no subs left on the bench in civo had to play on with some kind of horrible injury. cant remember the specifics tho, maybe someone else will

QUEENSLANDER said:
we had a game against the sharks years and years ago where i remember we had no subs left on the bench in civo had to play on with some kind of horrible injury. cant remember the specifics tho, maybe someone else will

I remember that game. Can't remember what Civo had wrong with him (though he finished games in 1999 and 2000 with a broken arm I recall).

But yeah, that game was carnage. Andrew Gee kicked a 40-20, LOL. Broncos won by 2.

QUEENSLANDER said:
Coxy said:
QUEENSLANDER said:
You have to wonder how the new guys are introduced / managed though. Gus gould always talks about the high turnover of players the storm have and how remarkable it is that they look like have been playing together for years and years. Yes, the nucleus of their team is the same, but players like nielsen, finch, macdouggall, tolman, hinchcliffe etc are only relatively new to the team yet they look like they would take a bullet for the other blokes in their team.

I wonder if when say, rivett was drafted into the squad if he was welcomed into the "family" or if he was acknowledged, introduced and kinda just left on his own

I think the Storm have less trouble bringing people in because they have a very structured style of play and play that all the way through the club - 20s, reserve grade, everywhere. So at least there's no confusion on the field.

I don't know enough about off field interactions/training etc to know how the Broncos do it, but I do know their on field game plan seems very ad hoc and not at all like the Under 20s play. Plus in Q cup you have so many different feeder clubs that all play their own styles (they're all trying to win afterall).

I don't think the Broncos' setup with so many feeder clubs is helpful.

Thats a very very good point. If all the players that come into the storm are coming from the same team, then they already have friendships and comraderies, with all our young blokes coming from different places, its like your first day at a new school

The other huge benefit that the Storm have is that they are stuck all the way down in Melbourne. None of the players grew up in the city so none of them have family or an established social group when they come into the team. All they have is each other, so of course they're going to try their hardest to really get along with the other guys in the team.

That 40/20 was pinpoint! I lost my shit when I saw that.

Coxy said:

He didn't seem to have an issue with it at the Normanby last year after the team got knocked out of the finals.

OXY-351 said:
Kaz said:

They must not be that smart then. I've always maintained you need a non drinker in any cool drinking group. Who else is gonna drive everyone home? Ok ,I guess there's Alfie, but I'd rather get in the car with someone sober.

[icon_lol1. [icon_lol1. [icon_lol1.

And ftr, I think what Paul Bowman did was tougher than playing with a broken arm. Why? Because you don't stand up on your arms, you can pad an arm, a few locals etc. I couldn't imagine standing up on a fucked ACL, let alone playing Origin on one.

QUEENSLANDER said:
that was the best TEAM win ive seen to this day. if they hadve lost by 50, anyone that watched the game wouldve said 'considering what happened, they did well to only lose by that many'......but to win was just insane.

Active Now

• Aldo
  • Wolfie
  • Old Mate
  • Fozz
  • johnny plath
  • Emanon
  • Cavalo
  • Swordfish
  • broncsgoat
  • Broncosarethebest
  • theshed
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Financeguy
  • heartly87
  • Dexter
  • Ghost of Vlansys
  • Slippin Jimmy
... and 13 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.