It's a rap...2017 Review

Didn't think Hunt was actually going to go to hooker but happened and was awesome.

Against the Gold Coast Titans as a bench hooker, otherwise the only thing Hunt brought was his halfback ability. His actual dummy half awareness, a key skill was very lacking and his organisation around the ruck was poor. This was especially felt against the Melbourne Storm where he refused to give the ball to the right hand side and just kept dumping the ball on his forwards or resorting to nothing kicks.

The startling thing for the Broncos is that McCullough isn't that much of an improvement with the football. His presence was lost in defence and obviously he was better in certain facets but when you factor in Hunt's natural ability it wasn't as big a loss as it should have been.

Awesome is a stretch

Playing 80 mins when he should have been used for 60 in a key position with 6 weeks prep. And avoided him stinking up halfback (although Wayne f***** the pooch on his replacement shuffle). Given a full season and preseason he would be a revelation.

Playing 80 mins when he should have been used for 60 in a key position with 6 weeks prep. And avoided him stinking up halfback (although Wayne f***** the pooch on his replacement shuffle). Given a full season and preseason he would be a revelation.

They gave him 4 and he was a waste of talent.

They gave him 4 and he was a waste of talent.
So you're essentially saying Ben is a jack of all trades, master of none?

Personally, I see him as a really good 5/8, average half-back and decent hooker, but I agree that he has his 5/8 skills to thank for that.

Bennett's a pigheaded moron who knows nothing about league compared to anonymous randoms on the internet? Boyd's a rubbish fullback who bludges it and should be moved to the wing/five eigth/qcup/retirement? Only gets the position because he's Wayne Bennett's son - hell we all know how fucking hilarious it is to have a crack at a bloke's upbringing plus it's such fresh new material.

**** me drunk, it's like I've stumbled into league unlimited. All that's missing is a few extra 12 year olds laying massive smackdowns on each other by calling them merkins.

Bennett's a pigheaded moron who knows nothing about league compared to anonymous randoms on the internet? Boyd's a rubbish fullback who bludges it and should be moved to the wing/five eigth/qcup/retirement? Only gets the position because he's Wayne Bennett's son - hell we all know how fucking hilarious it is to have a crack at a bloke's upbringing plus it's such fresh new material.

**** me drunk, it's like I've stumbled into league unlimited. All that's missing is a few extra 12 year olds laying massive smackdowns on each other by calling them merkins.

Again with ppl criticising Boyd [emoji28], he hasn't been in full form because injury he's a good fullback with a good palm and sorts the defence on the right side and he runs a good line and has a good pass for the right side to score and runs a good line for the winger and centres to score and sometime he backs himself to score.

So you're essentially saying Ben is a jack of all trades, master of none?

Personally, I see him as a really good 5/8, average half-back and decent hooker, but I agree that he has his 5/8 skills to thank for that.

I agree with the last point. Whatever he brought to the hooking role were traits you'd expect from a half.

I'm sure others are sick of it so I won't go on with it, but my take on Hunt is that he's a flawed halfback. Has the awareness to break the game open, just doesn't quite have the skill-set or temperament to pull it off.

@abashii you fucking merkin :superhappythumbsup:

IMO we had a good year. Frustrating at times because it didn't seem like the boys ever quite got it together...the elusive "full 80 minute performance" that everyone keeps banging on about. Watching our impotent attack, mental weakness, and our usually-strong defence crumble at different periods of the year was frustrating, but we deserved to finish where we did.

Having said that, those things need to be worked on for next year. We need more structure in attack. The mental toughness of the team in general needs to be improved (look at the Cows ffs) - we're not traditionally a club that chokes, but it's starting to become an issue and MUST be addressed. And our defence needs to be shored up. Macca coming back will help in that area, and indeed given our injuries throughout the year we've lacked the stability in key positions for long periods. And I do have concerns over some players too. However, I think the things I've mentioned above are the key. We have the cattle to win this thing; just need more structure and mental fortitude.

Anything below top 4 in 2018 will be a major disappointment; and there's no reason we can't go top 2.

I agree, we should be aiming top four. Unless you're in the grand final or have a league great signed up, anything more is an unreasonable expectation. That said we shouldnt expect less, as we'll have a very impressive forward pack, with some of our upcoming bench players maturing to regular starters. Milford healthy, with a pre-season to work, uninterrupted with knik or who-ever to improve his game would have been nice, but hopefully knik, boyd, macca and co have tactics drilled into them, give decent set play kicking options. I'm confident, the loss of moga can be covered, possibly improving our backline if the right player is given a run. I hope opacic steps up, but if not, kahu, or up and coming development player will fill the void. Who-ever gets the chance needs to get an extended run. I'd like to see bird given the lock spot from the get go. But if not he's more than capable playing that centre role, perhaps in the Hodges type roving style.

Sounds like LU is crying out for a sensible discussion on religion.

Sounds like LU is crying out for a sensible discussion on religion.
tenor.gif

Obviously apart from the Melbourne loss last week my biggest diasspointment was getting our ass handed too us when we had a few injuries or origin players out. There seems to be this mentality that Brisbane are full of stars and simply because a few of them are out, be it through injury or representative reason, then we are expected to lose and no one gives a shit when we do.

Seeing the Cowboys fight through their injuries and teams such as Melbourne and the rooster fight without origin players In the middle of the year and even the eels put 50 on us without clint gutherson and bevan French makes me think there is an attitude problem somewhere along the line.

I wish rather then bitch about being sent to face a full strength Warriors without our origin players that the team would take it upon themeselves to have a red hot crack. I feel like if it was any other team going to New Zealand without their stars the result would be much closer or even an upset would have occurred. Our ability to cope with unfortunate circumstances has really let me down this year.

Settle down mate.

Bennett surely is pigheaded you don't make it through NRL for as long as he has without bloody-mindedness. Problem is as you get older you become more rigid and that strength can become a massive weakness. He is obviously smart but shown repeatedly he is not willing or perhaps able to adapt to win i.e the wrestle (or maybe he is just more moral about league then winning at all justifiable costs).

Boyd is a very good fullback I just don't think he is the best option (he was Australian fullback by default) we have moving forward and would not throw a huge contract at him. And think while he might have one or two good seasons at fullback his best years are probably behind him. There is nothing about his upbringing, don't recall anyone saying anything if the sort. But he does have a special relationship with the coach and it can look like special treatment at times which even the perception is potentially highly corrosive. Unconditional choice of position, captaincy as a risky choice, playing on one leg, touted long and rich contract offer if true. Can't think of too many players in the professional era that have followed a coach 3 through 3 club moves at the exact same time. Even got out of a contract and coincidentally ended up with his coach.

Maybe things get heated and I'm sure a lot people post after a loss with a few beers in them but it's a fab forum not a fricken United Nations council sitting. People are entitled to an opinion without being shamed by this do gooder fake news.

Besides if everything is so swimming when was the Broncs last premiership...

Watching the GF tonight has me pissed off. Despite all the Storm's dodgy, game destroying bullshit, they still play a more exciting brand of footy than we do. We've built a team that can't compete in the grindfest, yet that's what we keep trying to do. The Storm, for all their faults, offload more than we do and run infinitely more set plays, and execute them better too.

The Storm, for all their faults, offload more than we do and run infinitely more set plays, and execute them better too.

I agree that their set-plays and support play is better, but the Broncos threw 47 more offloads this season. Obviously that figure doesn't include tonight's game, so it will be lower but still the Broncos chance their arm more.

I agree that their set-plays and support play is better, but the Broncos threw 47 more offloads this season. Obviously that figure doesn't include tonight's game, so it will be lower but still the Broncos chance their arm more.
Well there you go. Regardless, for a team that plays boring football, they sure do seem to score a lot of tries from exciting play.

Unread

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Allo
  • Sproj
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.