Jack Bird Discussion

Officially we haven't re-signed Glenn but it's hardly a poor call to do so, especially not for a seasoned, international backrower who isn't commanding a huge price tag and you can't afford to have a gaping hole in your depth from your seasoned forwards to your barely first grade fed ones. As for Thaiday, I wouldn't be surprised if next season is his last, there was rumblings in the off-season that not only will he retire from SOO shortly but that 2018 may even be his last season before retiring.

Hasn't it been stated several times by several different sources that we are still looking for halfback? I'm not sure why people are treating this signing like it cancels that out...

The only reason I could think of is the BroncsHQ (the real one, not us) don't want to **** with Niko's head over the next few months. If Bird is backed to play in the halves next year, Niko may not put in as hard - pretty thin.

17951568_1010053639125986_634268877929593844_n.jpg

Nice.

He will be 29 this year and we have seen all he has to offer.
As for being an international backrower, it has usually been by default that he even breaks the side, let alone starts. He has shown even less than he did last year this season.

We may have to make some big calls for next season to be as strong as we can for the next 5-6 seasons.

I kind of get that vibe from Thaiday, he has plenty to move on to and he's had a long career.

So I just did a quick calculation, if the cap rises to $8.5 million and you have to pay a base wage of $100k. That means that your top 17 can be paid just over $450k on average. If that is the case and the cap ends up being more, that means if Bird is being paid $700k, that is actually really quite good for a rep player!

unfortunately its the top 25 that get spread across the $8.5 cap and the blokes outside of the 25 are on the second tier. so it will hurt the average quite a bit

its still early and whispers are flying, but news around suggests joffa may end up in parra, fai will potentially go as well in search of game time, arrow is tossing up an extension or permanent gig elsewhere. biggest impact i see is ese'ese and carrigan. these 2 are the real future but i think we will lose both. we have paid big money for haas in front of our own kids which hurts. storm are watching carrigan very closely. and plenty of clubs are looking at ese'ese.
if the numbers are correct bird will chew up 8% of our cap and if milford sings for an estimated $900k that is nearly 20% of our cap there. this is very un bronco like.

Jeez !! Doom and gloom ! Surely they wouldn't let half there front row stocks leave.

Yawn.... I broke this news on here on Saturday which is the day he signed the contract. The moment Bennett contacted him, he was in as he greatly admires the man. All that was needed was a contract which is now in place. Excellent signing, possibly the best recruitment in Bronco history.

No chance it is !

So I just did a quick calculation, if the cap rises to $8.5 million and you have to pay a base wage of $100k. That means that your top 17 can be paid just over $450k on average. If that is the case and the cap ends up being more, that means if Bird is being paid $700k, that is actually really quite good for a rep player!

Worth repeating.

Also, salary cap will increase above 8.5 in 19 and 20. And will likely be higher than 8.5 next year.

Also, we don't know TPA value in the $700k.

And, while I am it ---- just absofuckinglutely lol at people being pissed off we signed one of the best guns in the comp.

Hasn't it been stated several times by several different sources that we are still looking for halfback? I'm not sure why people are treating this signing like it cancels that out...
I'm not saying it does, but I don't think we have much room in the sombrero to get said halfback now... besides, it would almost certainly involve moving Boyd out of the spine.
If it does happen, it will be a master stroke as I said, and I will be over the moon.

No doubt it has to do with some how clubs are run but everybody knows that there is some teams that have the benefit of a shipload of TPA's. One team towns and a few of the strong sydney clubs like the Dogs and Roosters get more opportunities than other clubs. It is that simple. Can't deny it. Certainly hasn't helped us or the dogs with premierships.

Which is something that kind of annoys me tbh. We cop that line all the time (and I agree btw) but when we sign a quality player....

"Nah, nah the Broncos are cheating the cap!!!"
"What cap, man? More like a sombrero!!!"
"Hahaha, nice one man!"

Damned if we do and damned if we don't.

The only reason I could think of is the BroncsHQ (the real one, not us) don't want to **** with Niko's head over the next few months. If Bird is backed to play in the halves next year, Niko may not put in as hard - pretty thin.

.......this is the only BHQ you need my man. The rest are just wannabes.

He will be 29 this year and we have seen all he has to offer.
As for being an international backrower, it has usually been by default that he even breaks the side, let alone starts. He has shown even less than he did last year this season.

We may have to make some big calls for next season to be as strong as we can for the next 5-6 seasons.

I kind of get that vibe from Thaiday, he has plenty to move on to and he's had a long career.

I got the impression that he was winding down the moment he started doing that radio show on Nova. We'll either get an announcement from him in the next few weeks that this year will be his last, or early next year. Look for the "Last Origin" press conference this year IMO.

Jeez !! Doom and gloom ! Surely they wouldn't let half there front row stocks leave.

But we will lose a few. Unless the "unlimited" salary cap next season will in fact occur. In which case we throw 5mill at Cronk for one year. FFS Tara, think of the hats!!!!!!

This is the kind of thing that keeps me up at night, and is why I'm not 100 percent sold on Bird.

Do you think we can get this right T talanoa? We've just re-signed Glenn which imo opinion is a poor call considering who we have coming through.
Could this be the last year for Blair or Thaiday?

Then we have Oates wanting to move into the back row for all reports and pressure to get Sua or Pangai more time on the field. Arrow requires big minutes. Sims is signed on for another year I think.

Is Lodge the right option for the club?

who would know mate, the cap is a beast to juggle. i think our model is not quite right, in which i have been vocal about in the past - sign a heap and hope for the best.
i think we will probably lose a few as money is the be all and end all here, which i have no qualms about. these guys have 10 or less years to make a quid so they need to make smart decisions.
as for the glenn deal, i think the sums are inflated, he is sticking around on less money than reported.
oates, sua, arrow, ese'ese, fai, hipgrave and even the likes of the younger brigade (flegler, shibasaki, blacker) are all a mystery. aside from oates they can prob hang about on bottom tier money and look at limited minutes which is where arrow is now and to a lessor extent fai and offa with no game time at all, this hurts there earning potential overall. arrow, offa, fai would probably all be playing minutes at another club and i would have no doubt there managers would be well aware of that now. if lodge and haas come in over the top that might strike a few exits.
i think the 60 million dollar question here is, how long will bennett hang about for??? will he try buy a premiership the next 1 to 3 years then bail or hang about?????? i just hope he doesnt break the bank for a short term fairytale. he cant coach forever and needs to ensure all is balanced if he does retire

Worth repeating.

Also, salary cap will increase above 8.5 in 19 and 20. And will likely be higher than 8.5 next year.

Also, we don't know TPA value in the $700k.

And, while I am it ---- just absofuckinglutely lol at people being pissed off we signed one of the best guns in the comp.
It should be mentioned that next year the cap will be a top 30 or 35 (can't remember), instead of he top 25 for that money to be shared between.

It's LU. Absolute shit fucking anti-Bronco (and pro Cowboy (everybody for some weird reason feels sorry for them)) **** website that needs to be deleted entirely asap.

EDIT: I can understand Sharks fans being salty because we have shut down their title window after this year lol.

If LU were to ever shut down y'know alot of them might sign up here instead. I hope that website remains active for eternity.

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.