OFFICIAL Jack Bird goes down

Guy's got rheumatoid arthritis, a chronic disease that causes joint problems and severe damage to ligaments, tendons and cartelidge. 3 seasons in a row - it's sad, but he's cooked. Bronc's are truely lost if they don't activate medical retirement. There is ample evidence he won't come good.

Medical retirement means he can’t physically play or train at an high level ever again. He’s not just “retired” from the Broncos but the game. Assessed by an independent doctor.

He’s not going to do that at 24.

Birds sternum injury was a personal thing but his two latest injuries are freak accidents and I don’t think you can pin them on him being injury prone.

Put anyone else in those situations with those forces on their knee and you’d get the exact same outcome is absolutely dogshit luck but if Bird still is here next year I’m backing him to kill it

His Insta post this arvo showed him to be pretty positive.

The persona someone puts out in public is not necessarily their true self though.

People can be really, really struggling, yet put up a facade that says otherwise.

Last edited:
The persona someone puts out in public is not necessarily their true self though.

People can be really, really struggling, yet put up a facade that says otherwise.
True.

However, most people dont have access to the resources the Broncos will offer him, as well as the big number of fellow players who have posted wishing him well.

He appears to have quite a lot of people in his corner offering support.

Well there you have it, Isaako is so far down the pecking order now, he's probably not long for this world in first grade.
I'm pretty certain he plays round 1 at fullback. If someone else does it means there is literally no importance in training for positions in the pre-season. If that is the case, sack the coach now!
Surely our attack has something our fullback is involved in that requires prior knowledge. God, I hope so!

Has a club ever had this many dud contracts on their books? Bird, Boyd and Kahu. Yikes this club is in a really bad spot at the moment.

Last edited:
Time to cut hi
Has a club ever had this many dud contracts on their books? Bird, Boyd and Kahu. Yikes this club is in a really bad spot at the moment.

You must have been asleep post-Lockyer to pre-Bennett.

That's ruff, not even getting another minute of NRL under your belt before you blow your knee out again. He'd be really suffering at the moment. That stuff is scary at the best of times, without that amount of pressure, and expectations, and hard work.

Reminds me of Justin Hodges early in his career. He learnt to adapt his game after knee injuries and probably got injured in other ways as a result of that, but he kept his game afloat and arguably became a modern great.

From all reports, everything was saying Jack was super fit again. I'm not so sure. He actually looked fitter last season I thought, which is understandable. Maybe the Broncos were rushing him back. He might have needed more time on the tar running. Everyone is different with regards to recovery. We can say it's unlucky, but things point to Bird not being primed for the first round. It's got me questioning a few things.

Best of luck to Jack in his recovery. Was really looking forward to seeing him stride out from fullback. Just got my excitement for it delayed for a year.

Broncos should try to get Billy Slater up here to work with our fullbacks. He overcame a lot of injuries and adapted his small frame to the modern game. In fact, he had a similar experience with a shoulder injury towards the end of his career. He's a good fella, and might be worth our while paying him a bit to get him in Jack's corner, and even our other fullbacks.

Go on then. What were all these other dud contracts ... I can think of Barba. That’s it.

You're forgetting about Kennedy. And then Kahu who was going through his season-ending injury phase and other top notch imports such as Lowrie and Anderson.

You're forgetting about Kennedy. And then Kahu who was going through his season-ending injury phase and other top notch imports such as Lowrie and Anderson.

Quite low cost compared to the current crop who are all on pretty great money demolishing our cap.
[automerge]1583915541[/automerge]
I’m going to say he owes a few games.

Injuries are a risk of the business.

Last edited:
Quite low cost compared to the current crop who are all on pretty great money demolishing our cap.

It is a sad state of affairs, but Freaky literally named more players than you did. In terms of taking up cap money Barba, Kennedy, Hannant, Hoffman, Yow Yeh etc. would have been right up there.

Last edited:

Not at the time. Kennedy was on big money as our ‘star’ player purchase.

Who knew we actually bought the tin man instead? Well besides most of us, except the recruitment ‘gurus’ at Brisbane...

Active Now

• Broncosgirl
  • sooticus
  • mrslong
  • Kev_Guz
  • Foordy
  • Mighty Bronx
  • broncos4life
  • Mr Fourex
  • KateBroncos1812
  • Manifesto
  • Brocko
  • Howzat
  • Old Mate
  • RolledOates
  • johnyE
  • Lurker
... and 4 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.