OFFICIAL Jack Bird goes down

Bird basically confirmed that he will be here next year on insta. I assume the macca and Boyd money will go to Fifi with a bit left for other upgrades so we won’t be able to make any new signings in ‘21. Ponga is actually our only hope of winning a comp (unless Croft does a Moses and our pack carries us) in the near future if we manage to get him in ‘22 when Bird is off the books...
I would think Milford would free up some space if he fails this season.

At least he has accomplished more than a keyboard warrior
Lol Fitzy, get Jacks nuts off your chin.
This club has enough bullshit to worry about without an injury prone salary cap destroying player spending season after season on the sidelines.
Retire him and use that coin on Ponga.

Good to see so many NRL players writing words of encouragement on that Insta post.

Lol Fitzy, get Jacks nuts off your chin.
This club has enough bullshit to worry about without an injury prone salary cap destroying player spending season after season on the sidelines.
Ponga is under contract. Round 1 is on Friday. It's not an option. Hopefully isaako steps up and grabs his opportunity by the balls. He won't get another one if not. Feel so sorry for Bird. And for the Broncos. His worth is not just in his footy skills but in the competitive nature and energy he brings on the field. His influence makes all the lads step up a bit, dropped ball or not.

What planet are you living on ... he will never be able to be retired for a number of reasons ...

firstly he has to agree to NEVER play rugby league professionally again. you can't force a guy to retire just to get him off your books

secondly no doctor will ever say that his knee injury is career ending ... because it can be rehabbed with hard work ...

not to mention the can of worms this would open ... it will never, never happen

What planet are you living on ... he will never be able to be retired for a number of reasons ...

firstly he has to agree to NEVER play rugby league professionally again. you can't force a guy to retire just to get him off your books

secondly no doctor will ever say that his knee injury is career ending ... because it can be rehabbed with hard work ...

not to mention the can of worms this would open ... it will never, never happen
What about his arthritis, shouldn't that come into play? Its a lifelong condition that will only get worse, not better, and the more times he destroys that same joint, the less likely he will ever be able to run effectively on it again.
You cant play a guy that cant run, thats in itself the definition of a career ending injury in a sport where you have have to be able to run....

Over long periods of time, the inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis can cause bone erosion and joint deformity.
While there's no cure for rheumatoid arthritis, physiotherapy and medication can help slow the disease's progression
He has had this for a long time. Compounded with multiple joint injuries, this is absolutely potentially career ending.
About the only thing he has going for him right now, is his age, but i have read of cases of arthritis that have crippled people by the age of 30, and that's without blowing out your acl over and over.

Last edited:
What about his arthritis, shouldn't that come into play? Its a lifelong condition that will only get worse, not better, and the more times he destroys that same joint, the less likely he will ever be able to run effectively on it again.
You cant play a guy that cant run, thats in itself the definition of a career ending injury in a sport where you have have to be able to run....

Over long periods of time, the inflammation associated with rheumatoid arthritis can cause bone erosion and joint deformity.
While there's no cure for rheumatoid arthritis, physiotherapy and medication can help slow the disease's progression
He has had this for a long time. Compounded with multiple joint injuries, this is absolutely potentially career ending.
About the only thing he has going for him right now, is his age, but i have read of cases of arthritis that have crippled people by the age of 30, and that's without blowing out your acl over and over.

i don't know how else to spell this out to you .... YOU CAN'T FORCE SOMEONE TO RETIRE (MEDICALLY OR OTHERWISE)

Not to mention the fact that the arthritis is a condition he had before he signed his last deal instantly making it ineligible to be used for medical retirement purposes

Last edited:
i don't know how else to spell this out to you .... YOU CAN'T FORCE SOMEONE TO RETIRE (MEDICALLY OR OTHERWISE)

Not to mention the fact that the arthritis is a condition he had before he signed his last deal instantly making it ineligible to be used for medical retirement purposes
Rightio mate, settle down, just wondering what the criteria is for someone to step back either by choice or by request due to medical reasons.
Take Jarral Yow Yeh for example, was he asked to step down because of his ankle? Or did his doctors say, you wont be able to run on this again so retire?
Can the same be applied to Bird?
I also never said to fucking force him to retire, YOU said that.
I was more expressing my desire to move him on one way or another as he has been an injury prone waste of money.

Last edited:
Rightio mate, settle down, just wondering what the criteria is for someone to step back either by choice or by request due to medical reasons.
Take Jarral Yow Yeh for example, was he asked to step down because of his ankle? Or did his doctors say, you wont be able to run on this again so retire?
I was more expressing my desire to move him on one way or another as he has been an injury prone waste of money.

as has been mention umpteen times this pre-season with the medical retirements we have seen, the following needs to happen:

1. the injury must have occurred during the players most recent contract
  2. the injury must make it so the player can no longer play professional sport
  3. an independent doctor (plus probably NRL doctors) need to make this assessment
  4. the player needs to be prepared to retire and not play professional sport again
FTR, we carried JYY until the end of his deal while we tried to get him back onto the field ... at one point he even tried to move to the backrow, but to no avail ...

what a selfish guy JYY was ... taking our cash and cap space for at least 2 years while trying to recover from an injury he received while working for us...

Last edited:
Not sure how tearing a ligament speeds up the onset of arthritis symptoms. If anything maybe the rehab periods reduce the speed of onset as he is not going to be so hard on the joint and the surgery gives the doctors a chance to consider also cleaning out the joint since he has a long rehab periods anyway. Maybe

At this point, I'm kind of hoping COVID19 brings this season to a screeching halt. At least it will spare us having to watch it, and gives our guys time to heal.

No point telling him to settle down, it can be pretty frustrating having to explain a pretty simple concept over and over.

This absolutely sucks for Bird. Was really hoping this would be his year.

I'm not ready to write off the season yet, though. Hopefully the boys find a bit of strength and unity through all this adversity. Strongest steel, hottest fire, and all that...

Active Now

• Swordfish
  • Dash
  • Harry Sack
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Skathen
  • Financeguy
  • Wolfie
  • Hurrijo
  • Alec
  • bazza
  • Fitzy
  • Justwin
  • BroncosAlways
  • Sproj
  • MrTickyMcG
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.