NEWS Jack Bird requests release - free to negotiate elsewhere

Hey Daly, it's seibs. Can you reneg on your manly deal and come and play for us for $400k less a season? Cheers mate.

Yeah... That's gonna happen.

The + symbol usually indicates "or more" by the way. $800K would be a baseline to drag any of those guys away from their current club, most would be wanting $1.2m or so.

If we want someone like Cherry Evans, then we would literally need to combine the 2 salaries of Boyd and Bird to lure him up here. Which means we're left to fend for ourselves in the Fullback department. Does anyone really trust Isaako with that job? Does Farnworth even have any experience there? Are we really leaving Milford there after how bog average he's been?

We need both a star fullback and an organizing halfback. We're gonna need to skimp on one to get the best out of the other.

If we want someone like Cherry Evans, then we would literally need to combine the 2 salaries of Boyd and Bird to lure him up here. Which means we're left to fend for ourselves in the Fullback department. Does anyone really trust Isaako with that job? Does Farnworth even have any experience there? Are we really leaving Milford there after how bog average he's been?

We need both a star fullback and an organizing halfback. We're gonna need to skimp on one to get the best out of the other.

DCE isn’t going anywhere.

1.Macca
6. Hunt
7. Turpin
9. Segerayo
14.Paix
What? Are we playing against Kings Cross?
[automerge]1568914552[/automerge]
Griffin would love a side like this:

1. Haas
2. Oates
3. Shibasaki
4. Fifita
5. Ferguson
6. D.Taylor
7. Hoffman (c) (gk) (wk) (k) (vc)
8. Paulo
9. McGuire
10. S.Boyd
11. Campbell-Gillard
12. Pangai Jr
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Fai
16. G.Rose
17. Hala

That’s a Hook dream team right there!
They might lose the game but of boy! would they win the fistacuffs! And with that team, contested scrums becomes a serious strategy :)

Last edited:
Griffin would love a side like this:

1. Haas
2. Oates
3. Shibasaki
4. Fifita
5. Ferguson
6. D.Taylor
7. Hoffman (c) (gk) (wk) (k) (vc)
8. Paulo
9. McGuire
10. S.Boyd
11. Campbell-Gillard
12. Pangai Jr
13. Parker

14. Thaiday
15. Fai
16. G.Rose
17. Hala

That’s a Hook dream team right there!
Looks like Taylor's been getting onto the Hook diet plan already. Bulking for days.
tumblr_pq2rxt5wov1wt3oqs_1280.jpg

This article also pretty much confirms the club is going hard after an experienced half, so you people who wanted real movement, here it is.

Yep. I hope they can get someone who can handle pressure because they are going to be walking into a shit fight and will be expected to pull us out of it

I really feel like we only need to invest in one. And even that is completely reliant upon us moving atleast 1 if not 2 contracts. Boyd and Bird seem the most obvious ones.

Looks like Taylor's been getting onto the Hook diet plan already. Bulking for days.
And that was while he was playing..
I’m picturing him in a few years, bed ridden on a stable diet of maccas, wearing an XXXL dress, and a team of engineers figuring out which section of roof to remove so they can crane him off to hospital..

If by dark horse, you mean will be the bloke in the buck costume, sure. But he can stay the **** away from our 17. Dragons have a rep forward pack and some solid outside backs and gave the spoon a hot crack. Fucking no thanks.
Exactly this.

The guy is a shadow of his 2014/15 form and it's not because he dropped the grand final, it's because he never engages the defensive line anymore.

He thinks he's some almighty game manager that just acts as a link man and rather than straightening up and taking the ball into the line he dumps it off to a forward about 5m away whilst running sideways.

He barely troubles the defense anymore which is a shame because he was lethal in 2014/15. Give me that form and his current long kicking game (which has improved) and only then can he come back.

Last edited:
About bloody time!!!!
Let Farnworth/Coates/Perese/Vudogo fight it out over the trials for centre and Oates spot. Niu and Isaako vie for the fullback spot. Milford and Dearden remain in the halves with Paix as backup. Lose Segy and Macca to ISC until Turpin's form sours, play 3 forwards and a back on the bench for HIA.
Our juniors are good enough, we lose our identity with these mercenaries/buy ins.
We the fucking Broncos, we don't fucking buy premierships!

We don't buy them, create them, or win them. So I guess, the old way doesn't work anymore.

About bloody time!!!!
Let Farnworth/Coates/Perese/Vudogo fight it out over the trials for centre and Oates spot. Niu and Isaako vie for the fullback spot. Milford and Dearden remain in the halves with Paix as backup. Lose Segy and Macca to ISC until Turpin's form sours, play 3 forwards and a back on the bench for HIA.
Our juniors are good enough, we lose our identity with these mercenaries/buy ins.
We the fucking Broncos, we don't fucking buy premierships!

Yet all those guys you listed came from other clubs and sports.

Exactly this.

The guy is a shadow of his 2014/15 form and it's not because he dropped the grand final, it's because he never engages the defensive line anymore.

He thinks he's some almighty game manager that just acts as a link man and rather than straightening up and taking the ball into the line he dumps it off to a forward about 5m away whilst running sideways.

He barely troubles the defense anymore which is a shame because he was lethal in 2014/15. Give me that form and his current long kicking game (which has improved) and only then can he come back.

I wonder about this too. That said, he seems a fairly simple fellow and it must be hard to play for another club when you love the Broncs so much.

Hunt is a Broncs die hard and I wouldn’t be surprised if he did return, we see the spark return as well.

He’d come back discounted and with a different halves partner, I have a hunch that is what he would need to fire again.

a BIRD in hand is worth 2 in the Penrith bush i hear....

Can't say I'm really a fan of bagging or laughing at Dave Taylor. I actually think deep down that Dave Taylor is one of the reasons people should be laughing at us.

He was one of ours once upon a time with frightening potential and even though he clearly had stuff going on behind the scenes, the fact that the Broncos, the benchmark club in the NRL at the time with a Coach with an unrivalled track record of getting the best out of guys like this, were unable to help him and get him to really achieve his potential both for us and for him was perhaps, in hindsight, an early indicator that things at the Broncos were not the same as they used to be and that this club was moving away from what it once was.

I know it's not all our fault and obviously players have to help themselves too so I'm far from laying the blame solely at our feet, but I do think with the benefit of hindsight that rather than being a source of ridicule, Taylor should be an opportunity for us to reflect on why we couldn't turn this guy into the absolute beast he was probably capable of being.

Last edited:
Can't say I'm really a fan of bagging or laughing at Dave Taylor. I actually think deep down that Dave Taylor is one of the reasons people should be laughing at us.

He was one of ours once upon a time with frightening potential and even though he clearly had stuff going on behind the scenes, the fact that the Broncos, the benchmark club in the NRL at the time with a Coach with an unrivalled track record of getting the best out of guys like this, were unable to help him and get him to really achieve his potential both for us and for him was perhaps, in hindsight, an early indicator that things at the Broncos were not the same as they used to be and that this club was moving away from what it once was.

I know it's not all our fault and obviously players have to help themselves too so I'm far from laying the blame solely at our feet, but I do think with the benefit of hindsight that rather than being a source of ridicule, Taylor should be an opportunity for us to reflect on why we couldn't turn this guy into the absolute beast he was probably capable of being.
Fair cop in some parts mate. I'm less trying to have a dig at Dave and more aiming to take the piss out of Hook's predilection for bulking up his halves.

Tbf though with Taylor, as I understand it he's both monumentally dumb and lazy as they come. If a succession of coaches including Bennett, Maguire, Henry and Sticky couldn't get him to dig in, even after he'd been let go from multiple clubs then that probably speaks volumes about him. After all, no matter how good the tailor you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

Active Now

• Midean
  • Mustafur
  • Lurker
  • Broncorob
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.