NEWS Jack Bird requests release - free to negotiate elsewhere

Fair cop in some parts mate. I'm less trying to have a dig at Dave and more aiming to take the piss out of Hook's predilection for bulking up his halves.

Tbf though with Taylor, as I understand it he's both monumentally dumb and lazy as they come. If a succession of coaches including Bennett, Maguire, Henry and Sticky couldn't get him to dig in, even after he'd been let go from multiple clubs then that probably speaks volumes about him. After all, no matter how good the tailor you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.
Yep, I agree, some players just can't help themselves and Taylor was proven to be one of those. I just never get Broncos fans laughing at him because I think if we were being totally honest, in decades gone by those were the kind of guys who specifically came to the Broncos to be the best footballer they were capable of and we were probably the best at the business in helping them get there.

One thing you could always give the Broncos was that no matter whether you were Darren Lockyer or Shane Perry or anywhere in between, the Broncos would help you get every single ounce of football ability out of yourself when you played for us.

If Taylor were an isolated incident, I'd be more inclined to write it off, but in recent years we've had more and more of those super talented guys come to us and not go anywhere near achieving their potential.

Last edited:
Why do we keep signing players at their peak form from other clubs. We have to pay top dollar and there's more room for disappointment than any upside potential. I think we have our priorities the wrong way around. Focus on signing young/fringe players long-term on the cheap, money ball it. Once a premiership window is alive then sign a marquee player on top dollar, build the foundations of the cake first then add in the icing on the cake.

Last edited:
Yet all those guys you listed came from other clubs and sports.

Before they were established though. It's a bit different to going out and getting a DCE, Teddy or RTS. We still have to put the time and effort in as a club to turn them into genuine first graders.

Fair cop in some parts mate. I'm less trying to have a dig at Dave and more aiming to take the piss out of Hook's predilection for bulking up his halves.

Tbf though with Taylor, as I understand it he's both monumentally dumb and lazy as they come. If a succession of coaches including Bennett, Maguire, Henry and Sticky couldn't get him to dig in, even after he'd been let go from multiple clubs then that probably speaks volumes about him. After all, no matter how good the tailor you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear.

This. Not to mention sporting clubs have gotten more professional in regards to athletes taking care of themselves off the field, in particular diet.

If he was fat and lazy when he was with us in the late 2000's than you can gurantee he would have been the same in the late 80's and 90's when we were toying with the rest of the competition.

If anything it just shows that we are now behind other clubs in terms of professionalism with the off field stuff.

Taylor WAS starting to hit something that resembled his potential with the Broncs, he was flying at Brissy. He then signed for Souths and it was all down hill from there.

Why do we keep signing players at their peak form from other clubs. We have to pay top dollar and there's more room for disappointment than any upside potential. I think we have our priorities the wrong way around. Focus on signing young/fringe players long-term on the cheap, money ball it. Once a premiership window is alive then sign a marquee player on top dollar, build the foundations of the cake first then add in the icing on the cake.

Dont we already have the young brigade ready to go? Just need a few tweaks and a superstar and I could coach the team to a premiership.

Last edited:
I mean, it makes sense.

Milford $1m
Bird $900k
Boyd $800k
Gillett $700k
Haas $600k
Macca $500k
Oates $500k

That's $5m between 7 players...

All of these were signed by Bennett. Add McGuire $600k, Nikorima $350k, Roberts $400k that have been released.

Technically, Milford was signed by Griffin and upgraded by Bennett...

Jack Bird will be signing with St George for next season. You can read that as fact, I absolutely 100% guarantee it.

Jack Bird will be signing with St George for next season. You can read that as fact, I absolutely 100% guarantee it.
Actually makes a lot of sense for them. He's a Wollongong boy and the club is in dire need of some strike power out wide as a Centre or could also play him as a ball running Five Eight outside Hunt. Really good fit.

Maybe a swap with Hunt is on? 😎

They each want to go home..........

Last edited:
Hope not.
Might make a good redemption story????

I'd imagine he has been through hell and what better way to bury his fuckup(s) ! Come home and truly lead for once. Afterall the only way is up from where he is now.

Actually makes a lot of sense for them. He's a Wollongong boy and the club is in dire need of some strike power out wide as a Centre or could also play him as a ball running Five Eight outside Hunt. Really good fit.

Played 37 NYC games for them too.
[automerge]1568945515[/automerge]
Maybe a swap with Hunt is on? 😎

They each want to go home..........

Hunt's on too big of deal to ever move, who is going to pick that up? Similar to DCE he can't move on.

No single club will pay him what the Dragons are and the Dragons would be crucified for paying a guy big money to play for someone else.

Last edited:
Played 37 NYC games for them too.
[automerge]1568945515[/automerge]

Hunt's on too big of deal to ever move, who is going to pick that up? Similar to DCE he can't move on.

No single club will pay him what the Dragons are and the Dragons would be crucified for paying a guy big money to play for someone else.

Unless they get Bird out of it and media spin it as a win-win and redemption story while never giving out the financial details.

I actually think it is perfect for both clubs provided the Broncs get the financial side of it correct for themselves.

If they still had Widdop it would make sense but to replace both halves is a big gamble.

Even contemplating bringing Hunt back to the club is deadset insanity. Whenever Widdop was out Hunt went missing. he is not even remotely close to what we need. besides we have three dummy halfs as it is at present.

Unless they get Bird out of it and media spin it as a win-win and redemption story while never giving out the financial details.

I actually think it is perfect for both clubs provided the Broncs get the financial side of it correct for themselves.
Hunt's deal is too long though... Jack is effectively off contract after this year (by moving you would assume he has legally forfeited his player option), whereas Hunt has like 2-3 more years on massive coin.

No way do drags continue to pay what would need to be $400-500k of that for 3 years

Active Now

• Ondi
  • broncotville
  • Aldo
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Hoof Hearted
  • Dash
  • Fatboy
  • HarryAllan7
  • KateBroncos1812
  • levikaden
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.