Jake Turpin Discussion

Turpins problem his game is based around spells of high intensity and impact. He isnt an 80 minute hooker and playing him that way dulls what he does imo. He is a solid player, but there is a lot in his game thats missing compared to the better hookers. If we keep playing him the way we are, he is going to be no better than Macca tbh. He is just going to become a tackle bot.
He played 65 minutes last night, and missed one shocker of a tackle that led to a try. He wasn't the only one who missed some shockers.

Last edited:
Of course you’re blaming the coach because you don’t want to admit Turpin isn’t much of an upgrade on Macca.
Turpin does not run the ball. There is enough evidence now to make that a consistent part of his game (or lack thereof).
He can run:

And kindly watch the top two moments from last year:

[automerge]1596844670[/automerge]
Turpin definitely benefited by just not being McCullough. Some of us said it last year people were just fapping over him because he wasn’t Macca

JT

Last edited:
He played 65 minutes last night, and missed one shocker of a tackle that led to a try. He wasn't the only one who missed some shockers.

He wasnt the only one, but he just isnt close to being a top tier hooker at the moment. I personally dont think his service is that great, doesnt do a great deal of kicking and he doesnt run enough. It will be interesting to see how he goes in a few weeks time when he gets fitter, but currently i dont think he is bringing the same energy he did when he broke into the team last year, understandable after his lay off. I think the spells we are playing him currently are too long. He is always going to compete, but like a lot of our players, we are managing his game time all wrong right now, and thats down to the coach being desperate for a win.

He wasnt the only one, but he just isnt close to being a top tier hooker at the moment. I personally dont think his service is that great, doesnt do a great deal of kicking and he doesnt run enough. It will be interesting to see how he goes in a few weeks time when he gets fitter, but currently i dont think he is bringing the same energy he did when he broke into the team last year, understandable after his lay off. I think the spells we are playing him currently are too long. He is always going to compete, but like a lot of our players, we are managing his game time all wrong right now, and thats down to the coach being desperate for a win.
He's only played two games since coming back from injury. Everyone was blown away by him last week. Last night, no so much, but he was still better than everyday Macca and Luke.

He's only played two games since coming back from injury. Everyone was blown away by him last week. Last night, no so much, but he was still better than everyday Macca and Luke.

I wasnt blown away by him. Thought he was just decent. But what you are saying is my point, he has just come back from injury and the coach is throwing him in for long spells because he is desperate, he isnt managing him well. He is doing the same with Lodge and he isnt being as effective as he can be either. Good coaches ease players who are coming back from injury back into the team. You build up their game fitness ( of course, there will always be some exceptions ). We would get more from Turpin at the moment giving him breaks in the game to freshen him up.

As for him being better than Macca, This year thats just not the case. McCullough was pretty good for Newcastle up until he got inured. Luke i dont think has offered a great deal, but again, at his age, he is probably only good for one relieving spell in a game.

I love Turps as much as you @McHunt , but Wolfie is right as far managing his workload.

Like Haas, he can play 65-80, but that blunts his effectiveness. He’s a bull at the gate player, which is great, but he will run out of steam.

This is where the bigger issue of the bench management comes up. Putting Luke on for 15 minutes at the end of the game is dumb, particularly if we’re chasing points. Same with playing Te’o for 10 minutes. What’s the fucking point?

Haas getting belted for 60-80 every week just because he can is going to wreck him. He should be playing 50-55 effective minutes max.

Knight, Nicholls, Tatola, Koloamatangi and Burgess played an equal 40-46 minutes each and made of mockery of our pack at times.

Playing players for 10-20 minutes each will result them being exactly that: 10-20 minute players that don’t do anything.

Of course you’re blaming the coach because you don’t want to admit Turpin isn’t much of an upgrade on Macca.

Well of course you're exactly right. He isn't much of an upgrade....but
he's an upgrade none the less.

We were right to **** McCullough off and put our eggs into Turpin's basket.....for now.

I love Turps as much as you @McHunt , but Wolfie is right as far managing his workload.
Turpin gametime in minutes this season. He usually tops the tackle count, or close to it:

Cowboys: 57
Souths: 63
Eels: 80
Sharks: 60
Souths: 65

How much do you want to cut it back?
NB: we have the worst point diff in the final twenty minutes in NRL history.

Last edited:
The interchanges are fucking horrid. We don't always use our allotted 8 interchanges even though we're usually under the pump constantly in every game. Just defies logic.

As for him being better than Macca, This year thats just not the case. McCullough was pretty good for Newcastle up until he got inured. .
You'll have to define "pretty good". He hadn't looked too different to me....other than having different players around him.

Luke i dont think has offered a great deal, but again, at his age, he is probably only good for one relieving spell in a game
I'd rather be playing someone else. Paix?

Turpin gametime in minutes this season. He usually tops the tackle count, or close to it:

His minutes as far as the number is mostly ok, 60 max is probably ideal. but so far this year he’s always off the field to finish the game, and your note about our finishing of games only adds to that.

He needs a break either just before or just after half time and be back on for the last 20.

Well of course you're exactly right. He isn't much of an upgrade....but
he's an upgrade none the less.

We were right to **** McCullough off and put our eggs into Turpin's basket.....for now.

I agree. Macca's time had come. But to have him make way for the exact type of player is confounding.

So we are now using excessive tackles as a reason for him not having 'spark' in attack? Like I said, Macca 2.0.

Last edited:
So we are now using excessive tackles as a reason for him not having 'spark' in attack? Like I said, Macca 2.0.
I certainly wasn't. At this point I'm speculatively blaming the coach for not encouraging him to run. His outstanding defence, in this context, is a non-sequitur. But it's part of the package that makes him attractive.

Last edited:

Active Now

• ivanhungryjak
  • Porthoz
  • bert_lifts
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.