PLAYER Jake Turpin Discussion

BroncsFan

State of Origin Rep
Jul 28, 2016
Man Turpin is injury-proned, you're not getting much value out of him if he keeps getting himself injured. Actually, I wouldn't mind if Turpin gets offloaded to another club.
Won't have a squad left in the recruitment and retention team take advice from this forum.... in fact maybe they have been listening to this forum if the amount of players released in the last 18 months is anything to go by.

Apparently no one in the squad is any good

rnabokov

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Most pundits said the same when Locky switched to 6. It wasnt an overnight sensation. Cook took some time. I reckon Turps can be a good choice playing in the current system
...harsh on anyone

Turpin needs to run the ball. Even his mentor Macca ran the ball more than him. I don't recall one run from him before he went off, running at the line, selecting a pass. Paix ran immediately he came on. He wasn't brilliant but his energy and enthusiasm lifted our momentum as soon as he came on. Turpin has a lot to learn about dummy half play. If he can, then he will be great because other aspects of his game there are good.

Sproj

International Captain
Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Turpin needs to run the ball. Even his mentor Macca ran the ball more than him. I don't recall one run from him before he went off, running at the line, selecting a pass. Paix ran immediately he came on. He wasn't brilliant but his energy and enthusiasm lifted our momentum as soon as he came on. Turpin has a lot to learn about dummy half play. If he can, then he will be great because other aspects of his game there are good.

I don't know, his service was pretty rubbish last night, Turps. It could have been the broken hand though.

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
30mins last night and 0 runs. Not a single run from dummy half.
I don't know, his service was pretty rubbish last night, Turps. It could have been the broken hand though.
He broke his hand a few sets before he went off, so can’t use that as an excuse. He was ordinary last night and that type of performance is becoming the norm, not “just a once off” kind of performance.

Mustafur

NRL Player
Jun 13, 2019
Love the guy, he is doing his best but needs help he is as close as he has ever to being a proper 80min player but he needs some help still.

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Mar 26, 2008
It's hard to judge him because we rarely win the ruck but at the moment there isnt a lot of difference between his and maccas game except for thre odd big tacke.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Jan 14, 2015
He will never be an effective 80 Min hooker unless he changes how he plays, and if he does that he won't be the same player. Been saying since I first saw him, he is brilliant in short, high impact spells. Let's him do what he is good at otherwise he will always have these dips in form because no player on the planet can play with his intensity for 80 mins every week.

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009
Turpin was great in round 1. He had energy & Spark. Since then, he has been a plodder. Slow play the balls, running on the 4th when nothing is on and basically stinking it up.

Still waiting for the ‘Turpin is God’ brigade to explain to me how he is an upgrade on Macca?

Mr Fourex

State of Origin Rep
Apr 9, 2012
Turpin was great in round 1. He had energy & Spark. Since then, he has been a plodder. Slow play the balls, running on the 4th when nothing is on and basically stinking it up.

Still waiting for the ‘Turpin is God’ brigade to explain to me how he is an upgrade on Macca?
He's faster......younger.......in general, better.

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008
He will never be an effective 80 Min hooker unless he changes how he plays, and if he does that he won't be the same player. Been saying since I first saw him, he is brilliant in short, high impact spells. Let's him do what he is good at otherwise he will always have these dips in form because no player on the planet can play with his intensity for 80 mins every week.
I feel like there's never a need for 80 minute hookers. These guys do more work than any other player on the field, they deserve a break too. There are some absolute freaks that can handle the 80, but they all still have teammates who can get in there and give them a breather for a for a set here and there, and they'd still be even more effective with a breather. Their teams don't usually get monstered in defence either.

Wolfie

State of Origin Captain
Jan 14, 2015
There probably isnt much between Turpin and Macca in terms of form so far this year, i'd probably say Macca is playing a bit better if im honest.

I bleed Maroon

State of Origin Captain
Apr 17, 2013
I still like him as a player, far more than McC, but he can't be playing 80 minutes. He just doesn't have the motor for it. He plays his best footy when he has some fuel in the tank. We need to bring Paix onto the bench and spell him at 60 minutes, whether we're behind or not.

Thelmus

NRL Player
Apr 19, 2016
I think the problem isn't with Turpin per say (or for that macca before him) but the quality of the players around him that demand he work as hard as he does, in both defence and attack.
The kind of mistakes we're making with the ball in hand puts a terrible pressure on our defence which is made largely of young fragile first graders still learning the game (and a terribly out of form 5/8 expected to ignite an otherwise might mundane and tired attack). A second hooker is a must if we continue to run Turpin into the ground.
What would be preferable though is an attack that works with or without Milford.
That comes from simplifying a few roles of our younger players and working at the things we are actually good at.
I pushed for early kicks at the beginning of games and the reason for it is takes a lot of pressure off our younger players.
Combine that with a compacted defence and only stretch out the tackle count later in the halves, when we lack the energy to keep it up. That way you can play a second hooker/utility type player and not expose him.
None of that makes a difference if we keep making the mistakes with the ball in hand of course, and teams like the storm can be good enough to go around us. There's little to be done about that.
It must be remembered we started with early kicks against the storm and for 20 minutes held the lead despite barely being able to complete a set.
I won't say we played well but we did have an opportunity for a different outcome with a little better application (probably not a win but not the thrashing we had).

Fitzy

QCup Player
Sep 10, 2018
Does anyone remember the name of that Keebra park hooker that signed for us last year (still in school I think)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adamsmith

Members online

AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.