OFFICIAL Jake Turpin re-signs

He'll have Blake Mozer breathing down his neck by then.

A bird in the hand is worth 2 in the bush.

I think i feel ok with Turpos coming back.

1 less position to go to market to fill for next season...

I thought maybe I was being a little harsh on Turpin, so I decided to compare his numbers with a few other starting hookers in the NRL to see where he truly stacks up.

Jake Turpin - 16 games, 0 tries, 0 linebreaks, 2 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 2 forced dropouts, 25 running metres per game, 44.3 tackles per game @ 97% efficiency

Damien Cook - 14 games, 2 tries, 6 linebreaks, 4 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 1 forced dropout, 63 running metres per game, 45.1 tackles per game @ 95% efficiency

Brandon Smith - 15 games, 9 tries, 9 linebreaks, 8 try assists, 11 linebreak assists, 0 forced dropouts, 92 running metres per game, 27.8 tackles per game @ 92% efficiency

Reed Mahoney - 13 games, 2 tries, 4 linebreaks, 12 try assists, 12 linebreak assists, 3 forced dropouts, 40 running metres per game, 43.9 tackles per game @ 96% efficiency

Jayden Brailey - 16 games, 3 tries, 6 linebreaks, 4 try assists, 5 linebreak assists, 4 forced dropouts, 42 running metres per game, 48.0 tackles per game @ 96% efficiency

Turns out that no, I wasn't being too harsh on Turpin, he really is one of the worst starting hookers in the competition. Some other hookers who clearly have better stats than Turpin this season - Josh Hodgson, Jacob Liddle, Blayke Brailey, Apisai Koroisau, Wayde Egan, Lachlan Croker, Reece Robson.

In fact, the closest comparable I could find in terms of offering nothing in attack, you guessed it, Andrew McCullough.

The only teams who have a worse hooker option at the moment than us by my count is the Bulldogs, Titans & Roosters (Which is up in the air, given Verills has shown plenty of promise)

After having a fair amount of time to marinate on it (and seeing how much of an improvement Daniel fucking Levi of all people was in the position), this concerns me. On one hand he's clearly on something like minimum wage and for a short period so whatever, he can become a depth signing overnight if the club tried hard enough. On the other, the Broncos have frankly been neglecting the shit out of the hooker position since the last days of Berrigan, and the 9 has clearly become a massively important position in the modern game. For mine, Turpin is just not up to the standard required to satisfy that importance. I love his attitude and work ethic, but it's clear he was never meant to be a regularly starting hooker in the NRL.

We really need to find a way to sign Hodgson, because relying on a gamble with Mozer is exactly the sort of flippant attitude that the club has shown towards the position to our great detriment for the past 10+ years.

I can't remember a time when the Broncos had a decent hooker since Michael Ennis

Active Now

• Rambstien
  • Galah
  • Xzei
  • jd87
  • Fozz
  • Broncosgirl
  • Dash
  • Morepudding
  • eggstar10
  • Dony Eliakim
  • Big Del
  • lynx000
  • Allo
  • Foordy
  • Browny
  • mrtij
  • johnny plath
  • PETERN
  • phoenix
  • Manofoneway
... and 7 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.