PLAYER Jamayne Isaako Discussion

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
So sorry. I assume he probably hasn’t been able to see his dad for a while either because he was in NZ. Very tough. I hope he’s being supported.
Was thinking the same thing, Dad's dying and you can't but help thinking his mind is thousands of ks away. There's a heap of guilt there too but if his Dad went like mine, the last few months his mind would be gone and really, the death occurred some time back. The last period in palliative care you're simply waiting for it to be official. I bet he wanted to be home, comforting Mum and close by his side.

Allo

State of Origin Rep
He should be right to be allowed back in. I understand NZ are doing their best to maintain the bubble but with the players being in their own version of iso + being from QLD, it’d take a pretty heartless effort to deny him entry.

I hadn’t heard how his old man was going this year, but this is why I gave him a pass for last year and that can extend to this year.

Give him the rest of the year to go back home, grieve, spend time with family and support and come back when he’s ready.

I’d be beyond devastated if it were my dad. Wouldn’t be in the right frame of mind to do my menial job, let alone professional sport.

porouian

QCup Player
Devastating. Always been a big fan of Jamayne which has been hard with the knives out for his poor performances of late. I'm glad he's getting a bit of leeway from some with this added perspective so I'm really hopeful he'll be able to get through this, kick on and live up to his potential.

I'm a Kiwi and there's been quite a bit of controversy about who has and who hasn't been allowed back in the country lately, there doesn't seem to be much case-by-case consideration for individual circumstances but I really hope he's able to get back here, be with his fam, and do what's needed.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
Devastating. Always been a big fan of Jamayne which has been hard with the knives out for his poor performances of late. I'm glad he's getting a bit of leeway from some with this added perspective so I'm really hopeful he'll be able to get through this, kick on and live up to his potential.

I'm a Kiwi and there's been quite a bit of controversy about who has and who hasn't been allowed back in the country lately, there doesn't seem to be much case-by-case consideration for individual circumstances but I really hope he's able to get back here, be with his fam, and do what's needed.
Well said. I think he has potential to be a great winger and his kicking game makes him a great asset to the team as well. I just can't see him as Fullback.
For now, I hope he has all the support he needs psychologically, because this is one of the moments where "it's just a game" is a more than apt excuse.

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Well said. I think he has potential to be a great winger and his kicking game makes him a great asset to the team as well. I just can't see him as Fullback.
For now, I hope he has all the support he needs psychologically, because this is one of the moments where "it's just a game" is a more than apt excuse.
I think his immediate need, in the psychological sense was the first thing considered. The link, as you rightly point out between mental health and 'it's just a game' is important but on here, not respected in recent history.

Porthoz

International Captain
Staff
Third Rock from the Sun
I think his immediate need, in the psychological sense was the first thing considered. The link, as you rightly point out between mental health and 'it's just a game' is important but on here, not respected in recent history.
Maybe because it's being abused as an excuse by some... nevertheless, not the thread for it.

JAHHW

NRL Player
If he can get to NZ for the funeral but can’t get back into the country for a few weeks or even until the season is over, well that’s how it has to be.

Football will be here next year, but sadly, you can only farewell a loved one once.

We may also be a ****-up of a club in many ways at the moment, but we always look after our players, so I already know that will be their position too.

Last edited:

Huge

State of Origin Captain
Ipswich
Any news on Isaako? Did he make it back for the funeral? How's covid affecting his return?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create free account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.