James Roberts Drama

Doesn't the guy live on the Gold Coast, he had to be with others. Isn't the Normanby a Broncos sponsor? He could have been invited there, fed drinks at a function, and decided to kick on.

Anyways, I'd be disappointed if he was sacked, personally if it is an issue I'd rather see a player get the support they need rather than cut loose. I'd be equally disappointed in the Bronco's if they didn't offer such support. We have players in the side right now who have had various issues along the journey and have overcome them, its those who need to rally behind Jimmy.

PS - I'd say this for any player, whether I liked them or not. Being a one club town, I also think things do get made bigger than they are.

That would make sense if he wasn't already at his 4th club in 5 years with an already well publicised rap sheet.

But let's be honest, NRL clubs deal with these indiscretions on several factors:

• How good of a player is he / potentially will he be?
  • Was he already on the outer with the club?
  • Can we somehow profit from releasing him so he can 'get the help he needs' and pick up a better player in the process?

I'd say Jimmy needs to be in the form of his life starting tonight.

Last edited:
I mean come on... who hasn't been thrown out of the Normanby? I've walked off a plane to a text message informing me that I have been thrown out of the Normanby. Being temporarily banned is just part of living in Brisbane.

It is sort of like Cartmanland really.

Meh, I couldn't care less about this "drama".

If he gets sacked, suspended, fined, whatever. More first grade for Pearson.
If nothing comes of it, sweet as bro. I don't care.

I'm more concerned about how we turn up against the Bulldogs tonight.

Last edited:
Meh, I couldn't care less about this "drama".

If he gets sacked, suspended, fined, whatever. More first grade for Pearson.
If nothing comes of it, sweet as bro. I don't care.

I'm more concerned about how we turn up against the Bulldogs tonight.

This is me. I couldn't give a shit about if he got drunk and thrown out of a club. No one died, he didn't hurt anyone, if he and the team play well tonight, it's all fine by me.

Last edited:
About the only law he possibly broke was refusing to leave a licences premises, if in fact he was asked to do so from all reports.

But police apparently weren't called and no complaints have been made against him, from what I have read.

His biggest indiscretion in fact 'might' be that he didn't inform the club of this incident, but we have nothing but speculation to go on, whether he did / didn't / was even required to. He apparently attended training on Monday and no reports have come out that he was unable to do what was expected of him.

He didn't get arrested. Didn't get charged and according to the publican of the Normanby is welcome back there at any time. (Admittedly via Dobbo...)

So if he turns up tonight, watch how fast this blows over as not even enough to describe it as a storm in a teacup...

Hopefully the bad press gives him reason to absolutely tear it up tonight.

c52d14edbe817dde1cad9fcda45963a0.jpg

It's getting worse.

Bronco bad boy James Roberts accused of more drunken antics

Subscriber only

CONTROVERSIAL Broncos centre James Roberts was *allegedly kicked out of a Brisbane nightclub after he spat in the face of a staff member in yet another drunken incident, it can be revealed.

It is alleged the twice-sacked centre was partying in the VIP area of popular Fortitude Valley nightclub GPO on the evening of Saturday, August 6, when he had a disagreement with venue staff.

After exchanging words with staff members, Roberts allegedly spat in the face of a manager and was immediately dragged from the club by security guards.

The Courier-Mail understands the manager did not want to press charges and police were not called to the Ann St venue as a result.

The latest allegation occurred one weekend before the drunken incident at Brisbane's The Normanby Hotel on Sunday, August 14.

One witness of the incident described Roberts as a “mess”.

“I saw Roberts being dragged down the back stairs by a few guards and someone was yelling out he got spat on, they closed the door on everyone else,” the witness said.

“When I saw the Norm*anby article, I thought it was about what happened at GPO.”

The Courier-Mail
has spoken to the staff member who was allegedly spat at by Roberts, but he did not wish to comment.

It is understood that the staff member will meet with the NRL’s Integrity Unit on Monday to discuss the *incident.

The revelations of Roberts’ second drunken incident inside a week has raised further questions about his future at the Broncos, with the NRL *integrity unit already investigating claims the centre launched a drunken tirade after a disagreement with a *female bartender at The *Normanby Hotel last Sunda

After allegedly verbally abusing the barmaid, the 23-year-old had to be restrained by Normanby security guards, who placed him in a chokehold that knocked him unconscious.

An ambulance was called to the venue as security guards tried to resuscitate him but it is understood he woke up as paramedics arrived and declined transport.

Roberts, who has previously served a 12-month alcohol ban after he was sacked by the Penrith Panthers in 2014, apologised to his club yesterday before taking on the Bulldogs at Suncorp Stadium last night.

Broncos chief executive Paul White last night said the club would not be making any further comment on Roberts, or the allegations against him, outside of a club statement *issued on Tuesday.

However, a Broncos official said that the club and the NRL’s Integrity Unit were aware of the incident at the GPO and were investigating.

Brisbane officials are understood to have held concerns for some time about Roberts and his relationship with *alcohol.

No Cookies | The Courier Mail

Last edited:
Christ almighty, 2 weekends in a row?

Hate to say it, but it almost seems like he's trying to get sacked so he can head back to Sydney.

Has anyone ever met a manager at a bar who wouldn't press charges if someone spat in their face? Ever?
Yes, Its the boys place to go for VIP rooms etc, so the manager wouldnt want to upset the Broncos boys, he would lose half his clients.

If he was messy drunk then he might have inadvertently spat while yelling. But regardless, he has a problem. And it's not improving. Bennett will make the right decision, and if that is to sack him then I'll support it. Even if they do, I hope they still offer help.

The thing that concerns me about this is that it doesn't say whether he was out on his own or not ?

Don't the boys normally go out in groups, or at least with one other teammate?

If he was with somebody that cared about him, he might not have ended up in this situation

details are still a bit sketchy across both issues but from what i understand no other broncos were with him at the time of either alleged issue. this makes sense actually as he isnt liked or respected by the senior playing group at all.

details are still a bit sketchy across both issues but from what i understand no other broncos were with him at the time of either alleged issue. this makes sense actually as he isnt liked or respected by the senior playing group at all.

Would this have something to do with Copley being let go for him?

Hogging the ball and not putting kahu over to seal the game last night wouldn't have done him any favours then.

Put him on an alcohol ban, let him know the club will support him but one more stuff up and he's out of here.

Put him on an alcohol ban, let him know the club will support him but one more stuff up and he's out of here.

I read an article on the couriermail website saying he had put himself on an alcohol ban

If he's on the outer with the playing group then these actions might be a cry for help ?

I still think he has a lot of upside, but he has to be fully accepted by the playing group first before he could possibly reach his potential.

Just my 2 cents ....

Active Now

• Yem
  • KateBroncos1812
  • BroncsNBundy
  • DrGee
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Brocko
  • vertigo
  • Scorchie
  • ivanhungryjak
  • westy316
  • Wolfie
  • Kev_Guz
  • Volvo Driver
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • winslow_wong
  • Inknition
  • broncoscope
  • Jazza
  • Harry Sack
... and 73 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.