Jarryd Hayne NFL Career

Re: Jarryd Hayne ---> NFL

Pretty embarrassing for the NFL players who have been training their whole life to get pipped by a guy who switched sports at 27.

I don't care at all for NFL, but still wish him well. He had a lot of balls to do what he did, at his age, when he was already settled down here.

We have waited decades for the one flashpoint that Rugby League could use to break into America. This could very well be it.

Except trying to explain the difference between League and Rugby will be too much effort I think. Americans know rugby. They don't know about League, and if they do, they will forever call it (only) rugby, because it's what the general public can picture easily. UNLESS there's a concerted effort from the NRL and relevant media types over there that can start changing that perception.

My $0.02 on Jarryd Hayne:I've been fortunate enough to coach some players who will make the NFL in the not too distant future. They have freakish athleticism (bench 200kg+, squat even more and run a 4.6s 40yd at ~120kg and know all the ins and outs of the game.
Hayne absolutely is a freakish athlete, but his abilities certainly do not stand out compared to what is being produced at a college level here - and I'm not even talking about an SEC powerhouse or Florida State or Oregon; I'm talking about a mid major in a smaller conference - and on top of this, his football IQ is close to zero: he's never ran a route, pass blocked or audibles coverage if he were to play DB. No team is going to sign him as a special teams guy because guys can already do that job and better. He's a waste of a practice squad spot because the amount coaching to get him up to speed isn't worth it.
Kudos to him to have the guts to make his call, and I don't for a second doubt his abilities as an athlete, but the chances of him making a roster and staying on it for very long are in my opinion slim to none.
I thought at the time his chance of making the final team was small simply due to the huge number of athletes the USA have to choose from and on that point I agreed with Jester. I think it's a fantastic achievement and probably the best rugby league story of the year...or it will be if Cronulla don't win the gf ha ha. Well done to Jarryd Hayne !

11986379_430350670481850_4798469463685980754_n.jpg

Gave me a chuckle tbh

Part of me wants to buy a Hayne jersey. It's such a shame he signed for the 49ers.

I'm happy for him that he's following his dream, but I'm still crushed he's no longer in Rugby League.

Apparently Channel 7 will be playing all 49ers games live, as well as Super Bowl etc.. That's pretty cool.

Edit:

Jarryd Hayne’s recent signing to the 49ers 2015 final roster has spurred Channel 7 to air every single San Francisco 49ers game live on their 7Mate channel plus extra NFL coverage.

There have been rumours for weeks that this may happen but it was only confirmed today, the first day after Hayne made the final 49ers roster cuts.

No information has been given into if this will actually mean more NFL games on 7Mate on a weekly basis or if the 49ers games will take away from other games that would’ve normally been aired.

Channel 7 have also revealed they will show the Super Bowl, Playoffs, and Thanksgiving games but have not revealed any further details about how many playoffs they will show.

https://ussportsdownunder.com/channel-7-to-air-49ers-games-in-2015-sunday-night-football/

Last edited:

****, wish I knew this before I got my Game Pass.

I'd like to know if that's additional games on FTA every week, or if they are replacing other games. I certainly hope it's the former as I don't want to watch the 49ers every week.

I'd like to know if that's additional games on FTA every week, or if they are replacing other games. I certainly hope it's the former as I don't want to watch the 49ers every week.

Watch out, they'll report you for being unstraylian.

I like how Dugan thinks he has a chance to follow in Hayne's footsteps and go join an NFL team.. he doesn't even have a shot honestly, he's not half the player Hayne was / is. Doesn't have the acceleration, foot work or top speed to play that game.

I like how Dugan thinks he has a chance to follow in Hayne's footsteps and go join an NFL team.. he doesn't even have a shot honestly, he's not half the player Hayne was / is. Doesn't have the acceleration, foot work or top speed to play that game.

Not to mention he's made of glass.

Dugan is starting to make Matai look like Gillmeister. That skinny build of his wouldn't last in the NFL anyway.

The thing that excites Dugan about gridiron is all that padding.less chance of him getting hurt every tackle

It's 4x15 mins quarters, where only actual ball play counts... those 11 minutes are stupid.
Then there is the fact that there is a whole team interchanged between attack, defense and special teams for punting, goal kicking, etc... Every TD is reviewed, you have video review challenges and I'm sure I'm forgetting stuff.

Having said that, there is more time spent with all the stuff around the actual footy, than the footy itself, but it is a great spectacle as a whole.

It is definitely an acquired taste, but each to their own. I love it, but I can see why others can't stomach it. That graphic above is a good demonstration why I don't think Hayne's success (or otherwise...) is going to have much of an affect on the number of people interested in the NFL in Australia. There may be a few that watch a couple of games and get right into it, but there will be many more that will watch the Niners' first game, see Hayne touch the ball three times in three hours, wonder what all the fuss is about, and never watch it again. It's such a fundamentally different game to any code of football that is popular here that there is a steep learning curve just working out what the hell is going on. I think most people will be content to catch highlights on the news...

I love it, and can only stomach the 49'ers live. Any other NFL game I watch will have to be on replay, stripped off all the bullshit down to about 1.5 hour worth.

Active Now

• Ras
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.