RUMOUR Jayden Nikorima to the Broncos

I'd buy that Nikorima had his drink spike ... the Roosters had to get rid of him somehow and no club would take on his contract at what the Roosters are paying him :P

I have to say I agree with Nashy, if that was the decision of the tribunal, it was simply wrong. I would run his case every day of the week and twice on Sunday and I would take it to every level of appeal open to me with the evidence he had available to him. That decision was morally and legally wrong.

What you are implying is that it is a strict liability system, that is, if you have the stuff in your system and it is picked up in a test you are gone. Even in strict liability scenario the prosecution would have to prove a guilty mind (mens rea), and Maafu did not have it. If this defence is good enough for someone facing possession of heroin charges (and a life sentence) to get off, it should be good enough for a sports tribunal (see He Kawh Teh v The Queen).

It’s six years ago. Bit late for outrage now. If drink spiking is a get out of jail free card then every cheating athlete will use it.

The whole thing relies on you’re
responsible for what is in your body. As soon as you take that away and say unless this happens then it all falls down.

I’m sure Lance Armstrong has a story too.

The Sharks’ and Bombers’ players were responsible for what they took. They didn’t have a failed test but they were made to admit personal fault.

Last edited:
If drink spiking is a get out of jail free card then every cheating athlete will use it.

How many athletes have actual video evidence that it was spiked?

This guy did have evidence and he was still hit with a 15 month ban. He isn't psychic, he can't predict if someone just spiked his drink.

It shows ASADA need to re-think their whole process. To be banned because "tested positive" despite the evidence shows that whole damn thing was unfair and unreasonable.

I guess it depends on which drug he was caught with matches the first time. But seriously... spiked drink? That would almost certainly be a frame job.

Could anyone honestly put that past Politis?

I'd buy that Nikorima had his drink spike ... the Roosters had to get rid of him somehow and no club would take on his contract at what the Roosters are paying him :p

IIRC it happened before they signed Cronk and became desperate to unload him. But it only became public knowledge after Cronk signed. Makes you wonder if there are any others with failed tests hanging over players heads.

I don't really understand why asada are looking for recreational drugs anyway. Shouldn't their extent be integrity of the sport and therefore performance enhancing.

NRL wanting to protect the image of the game should be looking for recreational drugs but why do they have to adhere to asada's rules and tribunal??

We shouldn’t be referring to drugs as party or recreational as it leads to a bad attitude regarding them.

It’s six years ago. Bit late for outrage now. If drink spiking is a get out of jail free card then every cheating athlete will use it.

The whole thing relies on you’re
responsible for what is in your body. As soon as you take that away and say unless this happens then it all falls down.

I’m sure Lance Armstrong has a story too.

The Sharks’ and Bombers’ players were responsible for what they took. They didn’t have a failed test but they were made to admit personal fault.

I'm sure you have a point to make there somewhere, but that doesn't make it any more fair does it? It's a load of shit, and I think it needs to be looked at in a more fair manner. You'll never stop drugs in sport, but punishing people who have absolutely zero control, and pulling the lame ass "you're responsible" line is a cop out.

It's akin to saying that females who have their drinks spiked and are raped are to blame, because they should be responsable for what's in their body.

I'm sure you have a point to make there somewhere, but that doesn't make it any more fair does it? It's a load of shit, and I think it needs to be looked at in a more fair manner. You'll never stop drugs in sport, but punishing people who have absolutely zero control, and pulling the lame ass "you're responsible" line is a cop out.

It's akin to saying that females who have their drinks spiked and are raped are to blame, because they should be responsable for what's in their body.

Not sure I agree completely. Like was mentioned above, what's to say that he didn't get a mate to "spike" his drink so he had an out if he got done? The moment someone gets let off for that, is the moment they all start doing it. Pretty friggen rotten to get done in that way, but all the more reason for them to be completely aware of what they consume. If women have resigned themselves to never leaving their drinks unattended because of the potential to be drugged, why can't players?

Not sure I agree completely. Like was mentioned above, what's to say that he didn't get a mate to "spike" his drink so he had an out if he got done? The moment someone gets let off for that, is the moment they all start doing it. Pretty friggen rotten to get done in that way, but all the more reason for them to be completely aware of what they consume. If women have resigned themselves to never leaving their drinks unattended because of the potential to be drugged, why can't players?

Surely spiking someones drink, friend or not, is a crime? You'd think that would have to keep that sort of thing to a minimum.

So has he been sacked by the Roosters? Is he facing a ban? Surely not when SKD was allowed to walk into another club...
He might end up back with us...

Fair? So his second drink was spiked according to him. Okay, maybe.

So what was his excuse on the first positive test...

Must be the unluckiest guy in the world to have his drink spiked twice when he knows full well that could cost him an NRL career...

Surely spiking someones drink, friend or not, is a crime? You'd think that would have to keep that sort of thing to a minimum.

It is. It is an offence known as supplying a dangerous drug in Queensland and when it involves aggravated supply of a circumstance where the person who consumes it is unaware they have done so, it renders the person who supplied it, liable to a head sentence of life imprisonment.

I wonder if Mr Nikorima has thought of making a complaint to the police for such a serious crime, given he allegedly has so much evidence of this?

We shouldn’t be referring to drugs as party or recreational as it leads to a bad attitude regarding them.

Nothing wrong with marijuana imo. I am ok with that being called a recreational drug. I agree on the other drugs though.

Fair? So his second drink was spiked according to him. Okay, maybe.

So what was his excuse on the first positive test...

Must be the unluckiest guy in the world to have his drink spiked twice when he knows full well that could cost him an NRL career...

Don't make my argument something it isn't. I don't give a shit about this kid. I'm just saying, the fact that they flat out deny excuses before they've even heard a case is unacceptable. I don't care if there is no solution, it doesn't make it the right way to go about it.

I'm honestly not concerned with the scenarios. I'm just saying that these hearings are no place for prejudice.

Don't make my argument something it isn't. I don't give a shit about this kid. I'm just saying, the fact that they flat out deny excuses before they've even heard a case is unacceptable. I don't care if there is no solution, it doesn't make it the right way to go about it.

So you’d rather they have a fair trial and then find him guilty regardless of excuses?

I just wish they would do away with the pretence of fair they have and simply introduce zero tolerance on the second strike. If you test positive to a banned substance twice. You are banned for good. No chances and no trial. Simply rule that way.

Making grey areas allows these kids wiggle room to try and be held unaccountable for their actions. There is no wiggle room in my work place. If we test positive to a dangerous drug, we get sacked, with no right of appeal to our employer.

That would be one reason why I’ve never tested positive to a dangerous drug.

Active Now

• Sproj
  • Midean
  • NSW stables
  • theshed
  • broncotville
  • Shane Tronc
  • ivanhungryjak
  • barker
  • broncos4life
  • Footy Fanatic
  • Dash
  • bert_lifts
  • Harry Sack
  • thenry
  • Financeguy
... and 2 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.