OFFICIAL Joe Ofahengaue officially released

Why? This is what I struggle with. Why are we so desperate ? How were we going to sign Fifita?
You can only hope it's because we're clearing cap space to make a big play for a marquee player or two.

Is Offa really a loss? Is Bird? Maybe in the immediate term, but certainly not from a 2022 onwards perspective. If we let go of a bunch of numpties for next season and/or players who don't have long term value, while we have ample salary cap space (which I strongly believe we do), and offer to heavily subsidise their wages in 2021, with no/minimal subisdy for 2022, we have the effect of getting our 2022 cap in a much stronger position moving forward then keeping all these blokes around.

Eg, Offa is on 500k for 2021-2022, we offer to subsidise 200k in 2021, and 50k in 2022, repeat with a few other players, then our 2022 cap space position might be 600-800k better than just letting all these contracts expire organically.

That's my tin foil theory anyway.

Last edited:
You can only hope it's because we're clearing cap space to make a big play for a marquee player or two.

Is Offa really a loss? Is Bird? Maybe in the immediate term, but certainly not from a 2022 onwards perspective. If we let go of a bunch of numpties for next season and/or players who don't have long term value, while we have ample salary cap space (which I strongly believe we do), and offer to heavily subsidise their wages in 2021, with no/minimal subisdy for 2022, we have the effect of getting our 2022 cap in a much stronger position moving forward then keeping all these blokes around.

Eg, Offa is on 500k for 2021-2022, we offer to subsidise 200k in 2021, and 50k in 2022, repeat with a few other players, then our 2022 cap space position might be 600-800k better than just letting all these contracts expire organically.

That's my tin foil theory anyway.
I get that but Bird only has a year left, and we are painfully short on quality backs.

Offa and Lodge I understand because their contracts are long and well over priced. I guess we will just have to wait and see but if we are legitimately so strapped for cash that we are having to force players out it’s disgusting.

Also I’d like to see how many players were moved on before their contract ended since Seibs came in. Potential future signings may be skeptical of any contract we offer because they may just be forced out a year later if they no longer suit the boards ever changing desires.

Let’s try and make a list of all the players who didn’t see out the entirety of their contracts since Bennett left (not that I think Bennett has any bearing, it just seems to be around the time the club decides contracts mean nothing. In fact Bennett was as big a victim as any so let’s start with him).

Players/Coaches that didnt see out their contracts in the last few years

Wayne Bennett
Kodi Nikorima
James Roberts
Jordan Kahu (returned)
Andrew McCullough (returned)
Josh McGuire
Joe O
Anthony Seibold
Jack Bird
Darius Boyd (retire with 1 year PO)
Matt Gillett (medically retired)
Jayden Sua

James Segyaro - fired due to doping
Alex Glenn - shopped around
Matt Lodge - rumoured to be shopped around
TPJ - Lockyer convinced club not to fire

Last edited:
I get that but Bird only has a year left, and we are painfully short on quality backs.

Offa and Lodge I understand because their contracts are long and well over priced. I guess we will just have to wait and see but if we are legitimately so strapped for cash that we are having to force players out it’s disgusting.

Also I’d like to see how many players were moved on before their contract ended since Seibs came in. Potential future signings may be skeptical of any contract we offer because they may just be forced out a year later if they no longer suit the boards ever changing desires.

Let’s try and make a list of all the players who didn’t see out the entirety of their contracts since Bennett left (not that I think Bennett has any bearing, it just seems to be around the time the club decides contracts mean nothing. In fact Bennett was as big a victim as any so let’s start with him).

Wayne Bennett
Kodi Nikorima
James Roberts
Jordan Kahu (returned)
Josh McGuire
Joe O
Anthony Seibold
Jack Bird
Jayden Sua

I forgot about seggy and perese. Both of these players wouldn't have been on minimum wages. There's another 300,000 between them on top of minimum wage.
There is NO WAY we are anywhere near our cap limit. Its actually impossible when you look at the players we have lost, evem if we subsidised 90% of their fucking wages we Would still have cap left ffs ... this cap shit is a rort in every single direction

Last edited:

Yeah but what if the 600-700k or so allows us to front load a few players for 2021, offload a few others and subiside them, and we're in a much better position for 2022? Not forgetting Macca is on 600k who definitely won't retain that wage, and Milford who will likely be fucked off, that's 1.6m just from 2 players, minus 400k for offa (salary minus min wage), and we're immediately in the 2M space to sign two elite players, before taking into account any front loading of contracts.

It may well be we're just totally fucked because Seibold moved on a bunch of players and the club subsidised most of their wages but I'm just taking a view with an optimistic outlook. As bad as management are, surely Dave is having some input already and trying to right the ship.

Wayne Bennett
Kodi Nikorima
James Roberts
Jordan Kahu (returned)
Josh McGuire
Joe O
Anthony Seibold
Jack Bird
Jayden Sua

Instability is the Broncos currency at the moment and it takes years to recover. The data is staggering.

Three coaches in four years.
15- 8 players left
16- 6 players left
17- 2 players left
19- 8 players left
20- 6 players left

41 active players debuted for the Broncos across all 16 clubs this year- 18 were not playing for the Broncos anymore.

Last edited:
Instability is the Broncos currency at the moment and it takes years to recover. The data is staggering.

15- 8 players left
16- 6 players left
17- 2 players left
19- 8 players left
20- 6 players left

41 active players debuted for the Broncos across all 16 clubs this year- 18 were not playing for the Broncos anymore.

This is the ultimate legacy of this current board: instability, incompetence, and frankly indifference.

15- 8 players left
16- 6 players left
17- 2 players left
19- 8 players left
20- 6 players left

To me that shows just how shitty our recruitment and retention is. It’s a shotgun approach. Just blast away til we hit something. Hire, fire who cares?
Where is the overall direction and strategy? Other clubs have it, why don’t we?

To me that shows just how shitty our recruitment and retention is. It’s a shotgun approach. Just blast away til we hit something. Hire, fire who cares?

It’s what basket cases do.

Problem is once you start changing coaches and becoming one of those clubs- your direction keeps changing every three years. New guy comes in and he wants his eight changes. Which is what they are going through again now.

It takes three years to get stability in your rosters.

Last edited:
Problem is once you start changing coaches and becoming one of those clubs- your direction keeps changing every three years. New guy comes in and he wants his eight changes. Which is what they are going through again now.

It takes three years to get stability in your rosters.

There is actually a really good example of this currently in the AFL.

North Melbourne have had a lot of talented rosters over the last 15 years but they have had about 10 different coaches and their salary cap and club are an absolute shambles.

Richmond used to do the same thing and were on the verge of sacking Hardwick after another average season but they decided to give him another shot, fast forward five years and they've won three premierships.

Active Now

• Mustafur
  • Midean
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.