Josh Dugan - Signs with Dragons

Do you want the Brisbane Broncos to make a play for Josh Dugan?

• Total voters
Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008
Re: The big Dugan discussion

Maybe so, but it's taking over every thread so we're putting a lid on it.

Browny

Browny

State of Origin Captain
Apr 9, 2008

No it's incredibly vexing

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008

It's concerning the club haven't completely dismissed rumours regarding interest in Dugan, hook has been coy enough to suggest that the club has considered it and I get the feeling that we may have to get use to the idea unfortunately.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Nah, I think it would have been concerning for the club to completely dismiss the idea.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

It's concerning the club haven't completely dismissed rumours regarding interest in Dugan, hook has been coy enough to suggest that the club has considered it and I get the feeling that we may have to get use to the idea unfortunately.

Yeah it is alarming that the club are entertaining thoughts of recruiting a young and incredibly talented player who if they can get off the cruisers would make us a genuine premiership chance now and into the future.

Premierships mean nothing to me and the club should be looking to bring back some more old players that are past there prime but are good boys. Especially if the can add depth to positions that we are already well stocked like the backrow. To be honest if we don't make a big money play for Shaun berrigan than I am just about through with this club

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I like turtles

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Seriously.

Looking at this objectively.

Pros:
He's a great player.
He's young.
He fills a massive gap for us.
He plays a super important position.
He's quick.
He's available right now for this season.

Cons:
Maybe price although that's completely subjective.
Maybe bad behaviour but that's what strict contract conditions are for.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012

After seeing what hook intends to do with the team I'm not so certain we need him. But if we have that room in our cap that's just ridiculous. Not that I know where we would spend it. Although he would be an improvement I'm not sure how much by.

Mister Wright

Mister Wright

NRL Captain
Jun 8, 2009

I'm happy for Dugan to come here if there are strict contractual conditions and a back ended contract.

Hitman

Hitman

NRL Player
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah sign him up, I'm all for it.

I don't care about his past, moving to Brisbane will do him the world of good. I know he gets injured a bit and has attitude problems but if he overcomes it, it's all good for the Broncos. If he ***** up again, kick him out and I'll gladly admit I was wrong.

I just want to win and for us to be contenders again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012

I don't understand this whole "Brisbane lacks strike power in the backs" thing. I feel we have plenty of strike power. Hoffman is great at Center, Hodges is playing amazing (unfortunately he gets injured), we have about six guys (Bond, Norman, Hoffman, Granville, Kahu and Capewell) all wanting to play fullback, we have at least one good second rower in Glenn (if he got more ball at the right time) and I think Reed at second row might be better he just has to learn the role (then again he might just get dropped). We have Copley and Yow-Yeh who are injured but are still young (although I doubt at Yow-Yeh comeback sadly).

I think the guys like Gillett have awesome potential but they lack confidence. The rest need first grade development and good coaching or they will fade away.

Anyway the whole strike power thing seems like its just being thrown out there because the back row hasn't crossed the line that much recently but I don't recall much in the way of "Forwards strike power". Hannant's try on Friday was the first proper front row try I have seen from the Broncs in ages. I think the strike power is lacking in the halves due to Wallace and Norman finding it too difficult to get space and passing too early before the line. Prince offers that because opposition players respect him a little bit to remain stand-offish and allow him a little bit of time. This is a two way street of course (you have to earn that respect) but half of the reason guys like Cronk, Thurston, Smith, DCE, Benji etc. look so damn good is because they are elusive, attack the line and players are reluctant to make a move on them because of that.

This is where we lack strike power. Friday night for me was fantastic because Prince and Wallace and to a minor extent Norman were attacking the line and taking the ball to the line before passing. But it needs to continue. Prince will prove valuable if he continues to do this.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Not sure I agree with your assessment of some of our players. I would never call Hoffman "great" at centre. He's a good straight runner, but I've never seen him step. Anyone. That and he's playing wing. Maranta is about as penetrative as a ... I can't think of anything less penetrative.

While we have a host of players wanting to play fullback, none of them have shown any real attacking flair or an ability to create anything (Norman probably the most).

What all that means is it comes down entirely to our forwards laying a platform and then Wallace and Prince taking the right option every time. Something they struggle with. Or else, give it to Hodgo and hope he can use his strength to swat defenders and offload.

Having a strike player like Dugan (but not necessarily Dugan) who can get the ball with not much on and make something happen will take a lot of pressure off the halves, and Hodges.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012

Hoffman might not step but he bends lines and runs straight and hard. He was almost playing like a centre last week and the week before. Defensively he is also good plus adds some catching ability for bombs a little in field.

Plus he played superbly at centre for the dolphins when he got dropped (but that is a class thing I suppose).

Relying on one player to make something happen is a little foolhardy when they are as prone to injury as Hodges and Dugan but I do concede that point. However, it only takes a few good plays for people to see they are capable of that. Jarryd Hayne is a good example of a guy that is capable but does that warrant his piss poor slack attitude when he doesn't feel like playing. For me that is BS I would prefer seeing someone bust a gut every week than not knowing if he will be there or not (re Bulldogs vs Eels rd 2 2013).

Attacking flair I will grant you but this could be partly attributed to the player being swapped all the time. Hoffman clearly wasn't in the right place or didn't offer anything at fullback last season. Hoffman has played two games, give a bloke some time to get adjusted to the position and learn to read the game from that position.

I just don't think saying we lack strike power is a fair assessment. I feel like it is there and that a number are capable. Ultimately I just feel that a purchase of yet another back line player regardless is bothersome to me. I think they would need to get rid of a few signings first. What we really need is a strike forward. A Watmough or a Merrin or a Matt Scott. We haven't invested enough in this area and we have too many backs IMO.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Oh don't get me wrong, attitude is important and that's why I have reservations about Dugan. But at this point I'd rather an erratic Dugan who can make something happen than, say, Lachy Maranta who seems like a lovely boy but couldn't tear a hole in a brown paper bag.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

In my opinion we already have a strike forward in Hala.

When he returns from injury he'll provide the thrust we need in the middle.

Organix

Organix

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 19, 2012

Oh don't get me wrong, attitude is important and that's why I have reservations about Dugan. But at this point I'd rather an erratic Dugan who can make something happen than, say, Lachy Maranta who seems like a lovely boy but couldn't tear a hole in a brown paper bag.

Fair call. I suppose I feel like there a people that are playing at 80% and that if they played at 100% and got a bit of confidence then we would have that strike power that they are referring to. BUT the players are being swapped in and out of position for whatever reason and there is no way to build that positional confidence. Don't get me wrong, a Maranta will probably never rise to be a great of the game you can tell that. But I just feel that having watched Hoffman and Norman at other grades of the game play with confidence it just seems like they can get there to be an amazing player.

C

Coxy

International Captain
Mar 4, 2008

Yeah mate, certainly not disagreeing with you. I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't sign Dugan or some other strike player ASAP. We can work with what we've got. But if there's a chance to strengthen the attack you're mad not to look at it.

Active Now

• Skyblues87
  • Galco
  • LittleDavey
  • Horseheadsup
  • Nerd
  • FACTHUNT
  • Robboi_321
  • mystico
  • MrTickyMcG
  • Culhwch
  • Santa
  • Dash
  • winslow_wong
  • Sproj
  • KickHaas
  • Old Mate
  • Stix
  • Aldo
  • Jedhead
  • Galah
... and 49 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.