Josh Dugan - Signs with Dragons

Do you want the Brisbane Broncos to make a play for Josh Dugan?

• Total voters
Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008
Re: The big Dugan discussion

Maybe we should get Brian Smith to replace Andrew Gee.

Smith is a lousy coach, but he seemed to get rid of some of the dead wood.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

will be interesting to see how far kimmorley gets into coaching.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Maybe we should get Brian Smith to replace Andrew Gee.

Smith is a lousy coach, but he seemed to get rid of some of the dead wood.

You kidding?

Guy collected dead-wood, tried to recycle them into good players and would pat himself on the back when he'd earn his club a week 1 or 2 exit because he did it with a bunch of mediocre players.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Define great?

He's a good prospect who's yet to deliver consistently or in big matches.

Spending an exorbitant amount and disregarding the pay structure of the club for him is a short term fix, especially if the second highest paid player is the other Canberra reject Josh Dugan.
Well what big matches has he really played in? Are you speaking about origin? No one was going to shine against a Thurston/Lockyer/Smith/Slater combination. He hasn't really had much of a chance in big matches in the last few years so it's not a fair parameter to judge him by.

He's got a good kicking game, knows how to throw a pass to set up a try and seems to be leading Cronulla in the halves pretty well.
Exorbitant amount is your opinion, IMO that's just market value for a quality half and once again I don't think signing a 26 year old Carney who plays a key position that we really lack in is a short term fix, would you have been against Thurston too? Because he's 29 and doesn't have more than 3-4 good years in him.

Josh Dugan is a 22 year old fullback who has shown potential to be a great fullback, he's good under the high ball, can break a tackle, can set up a try here and there and can score his own too. You use the what other coach argument so I'll use the what other fullback argument.

Dugan is far ahead of Hoffman who is probably better suited to the centres anyway, AFAIK there's no fullbacks of note who are off contract either. Dugan is far better than what we have now. The salary cap is rising and will continue to rise over the next 3-4 years, what was a 700k contract a few years back is now a 1m contract.

If you're suggesting we give someone like Bond a go, sure but all indications about Hook show he isn't really the type to drop players for a promising junior.

Last edited:
Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

pwn said:
Well what big matches has he really played in? Are you speaking about origin? No one was going to shine against a Thurston/Lockyer/Smith/Slater combination.

He's played in numerous finals and significant matches and basically impersonates the invisible man 89.42% of the time. He never faced Lockyer in Origin, yet except for a gap where Queensland had 12 men, he was terrible. Why throw him that huge amount of coin when he's got bugger all to show for it?

pwn said:
He's got a good kicking game, knows how to throw a pass to set up a try and seems to be leading Cronulla in the halves pretty well.
Exorbitant amount is your opinion, IMO that's just market value for a quality half and once again I don't think signing a 26 year old Carney who plays a key position that we really lack in is a short term fix, would you have been against Thurston too? Because he's 29 and doesn't have more than 3-4 good years in him.

Yes, but not as much as Carney. At least JT has achieved something in his time and could give back to the younger players. I haven't seen those same qualities in TC.

pwn said:
You use the what other coach argument so I'll use the what other fullback argument.

Gareth Widdop
Clinton Gutherson
Denny Solomona
Evander Cummins
Adam Quinlan

Or stick with Hoffman while we develop our own crop of fullbacks (Kahu or Byrnes) and spend our money in other areas where we can get a player of value, which I don't believe Dugan is.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Fair enough, I guess we'll have to agree to disagree because personally I'm a fan of Carney, obviously I don't want to pay overs for any player as that's a bad thing in the long run.

Out of the players you listed, I'd definitely be interested in Widdop but AFAIK he's not off contract until 2015 and even then he may just stick with Melbourne.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

Just to clarify on what I meant by Carney being a short term fix.

It's got nothing to do with age and more to do with him as a person. This was the guy who couldn't even follow a simple team order of not drinking when he was basically on probation.

He's virtually anti-Broncos

And you want to throw that away because things are looking dicey at this current time.

I'm willing to agree to disagree on the matter but just thought I'd address that point because I forgot to do so earlier.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Well, what are your thoughts on Shaun Johnson? He's one player I'd love to see line up for us.

Big Pete

Big Pete

International Captain
Mar 12, 2008

I'm right there with you on SJ.

I wouldn't throw the bank at him, but I'd be willing to pay a little over to entice him over.

Mind you, I do hope the departure of Norman opens up an opportunity for Hunt.

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

Alrighty, that's a bandwagon we can both join! FWIW I'm much more in the get SJ to Brisbane camp than Carney, in truth I'm a bit of an SJ fanboy.

I also agree with Hunt getting a chance! FFS just give him a few games Griffin but I just can't see Wallace or Prince getting dropped. I'd love to see how Hunt would go getting a few games in a row, not 40 minutes twice a year in the halfback spot.

ningnangnong

ningnangnong

HACK THE PLANET!!!
Forum Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

The optimist in me says that we've basically signed him and it should be at a reasonable price given no other club is really going for him.
Ideally I'd like him to be on a moderate contract for this season with KPI's and performance bonuses given if he goes well for us. I'm guessing it will be a 3.5 year deal, like Inu with the Dogs last year.

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

dugan to meet broncos in brisbane tomorrow.

also says dragons have given up on signing him.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...brisbane-broncos/story-e6frexp0-1226605797980

FMD, what's the weather forecast ??
frightened-smiley-emoticon-000293-l-gif.9733

Last edited:

Active Now

• LittleDavey
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • Swordfish
  • Brotherdu
  • johnny plath
  • Harry Sack
  • Santa
  • BroncosAlways
  • Totally Unr3al
  • BroncoFan94
  • Brett Da Man LeMan
  • jd87
  • Skathen
  • broncos4life
  • Aldo
  • Strop
  • Mr Fourex
  • Footy Fanatic
  • kwomo
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.