Josh Dugan - Signs with Dragons

Do you want the Brisbane Broncos to make a play for Josh Dugan?

• Total voters
Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
Re: The big Dugan discussion

This is definitely a good read fellas!
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...r-blake-ferguson/story-e6frexnr-1226605781732

I'll quote the juicy bits.
Ritchie: Was Dugan a bad influence to the younger players?Furner: I wouldn't say that. I don't think that is the right way to put it. What he didn't understand was how important the team was. The best way to answer it was that he out-grew our culture. It didn't suit in the end. I hope he gets things on track, he is a good player. There isn't any bad blood there.
Ritchie: Did the Dugan drama damage Canberra's culture?
Furner: To question the culture when we have just decided to move on a player of Josh's calibre ... I think it's the complete opposite. It just showed the club was serious about trying to create that culture, mainly for the players to grow in. Every player is different. The strongest advertisement for that was what happened to Josh. To be questioned about our culture is completely wrong.
Ritchie: The decision did demonstrate you won't tolerate misbehaviour.
Furner: It just came to a point. It wasn't just one incident. It was a combination of history I suppose. The club and the players took that stance. For us to move forward, that (being sacked) needed to happen. It was a collective decision between the board, coaches and players.

Big Dave

Big Dave

Banned User
Feb 27, 2013

The optimist in me says that we've basically signed him and it should be at a reasonable price given no other club is really going for him.
Ideally I'd like him to be on a moderate contract for this season with KPI's and performance bonuses given if he goes well for us. I'm guessing it will be a 3.5 year deal, like Inu with the Dogs last year.

If he signs he'll be definitely one of the highest paid players at the club if not the highest. Real talk

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008

He'd also be one of the best players at the club if not the best, Hodges is his hottest competition and he'll be gone in a couple of years.

Last edited:
Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The big Dugan discussion

The problem is the blokes off contract aren't the ones we should have chased. Should have went after JT, DCE or Cronk.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

We'd should be going after Widdop or Sam Williams. They are the best halves off contract at the moment, and are both young enough to keep around for many years. They aren't Cronk or Thurston or anything, but we can't seriously consider spending more years with Wallace and Prince and the like.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The big Dugan discussion

We'd should be going after Widdop or Sam Williams. They are the best halves off contract at the moment, and are both young enough to keep around for many years. They aren't Cronk or Thurston or anything, but we can't seriously consider spending more years with Wallace and Prince and the like.

I tend to agree. Widdop could even be signed as a fullback.

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

I'd love Widdop as our 5/8th, but really, can't see The Storm letting him go easily.

He's their future after the big 3 move on.

Sam Williams would be a good score.

T

tkday

Banned User
Mar 10, 2010

Dugan on a heavy back-ended contract. Lots of get our clauses for us. Rumours are 200 for first year and then it goes up considerably after that. Not finalised yet because of NRL.

pennywisealfie

pennywisealfie

State of Origin Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Yesss great work Broncos!!!

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

A sticking point for Brisbane would be if Dugan expects to earn the reported $500,000-a-season he was pulling at the Raiders; the Dragons in a position to drop that kind of money now, the Broncos seemingly unable to unless they could get a heavily back-ended contract approved by salary cap auditor Ian Schubert.

Who the hell is all that money going to?

Bull Shark

Bull Shark

State of Origin Rep
Jun 4, 2008

Who the hell is all that money going to?

At the Broncos? I have no idea, because it seems no matter how much talent walks out of Brisbane, the club never has any salary cap space..

jarro65

jarro65

State of Origin Rep
Jun 26, 2008

They MUST have some coin left over.

If they don't have enough to pay Dugan 200k for his first year then we need to seriously look at our accountant !!

I'm pretty certain that they'll have enough to find a way to get him here though.

Bucking Beads

Bucking Beads

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 5, 2008
The big Dugan discussion

It makes no sense to me that we have no salary cap space. We must be paying overs to several players.

Kaz

Kaz

State of Origin Captain
Mar 5, 2008

I would say the Broncos have a fair amount left & they are just saying they are near the cap, so we can go on a spending spree when the right player/s are off contract.

Alec

Alec

International Rep
Mar 4, 2008

I mean I definitely think we are probably paying too much for some players, guys like Wallace and probably Gillett and what not, but it just makes no sense that we'd have no space left, especially with the rise of the cap.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

Let's see, in the last 2 years we have...

1) Had the cap go up
2) Lost Lockyer
3) Lost Beale
4) Lost Norman
5) Lost T'eo
6) Signed Prince
7) Signed Stagg
8) Signed Kemp
9) Signed Minto
10) Signed Frawley
11) Upgraded a deserving Glenn
12) Upgraded a deserving McGuire

As nobody else except Glenn and McGuire deserve an upgrade since Lockyer left, and we lost Lockyer and had the cap go up, as well as lost players who were much better than the players that replaced them, we surely have to have cap space left.

Fozz

Fozz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Mar 4, 2008

Yes, its mystifying. We must be paying overs for nearly everyone.

Charmamba

Charmamba

Life is a Fantasy League
Jan 9, 2011

How awesome would it be if they kept it silent and when the teams got announced Dugan was in the #1. Instead of some press release they just list him.

Unread

Active Now

• Bish
  • Cavalo
  • Bucking Beads
  • RolledOates
  • Galah
  • Harry Sack
  • leon.bott
  • westy316
  • bb_gun
  • Manofoneway
  • Justwin
  • Redfern_1980
  • Totally Unr3al
  • Waynesaurus
  • Mick_Hancock
  • Battler
  • broncos4life
  • BroncosAlways
  • Wolfie
... and 10 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.