Josh Hoffman

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
I would love nothing more than to see this spoilt brat get released, and given a fulltime wing position for the Dogs.

Me too mate. Then to watch him do another scout to find out which team
Is desperate enough for a fullback

kingpest

kingpest

QCup Player
Apr 14, 2013
I would love nothing more than to see this spoilt brat get released, and given a fulltime wing position for the Dogs.

hahahah **** me dead mate, that's a hideous avatar you have there. Go Minto

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
don't get how we have these conflicting stories. someone's doing a dodgy.
players and clubs officials quoted as saying Hoffman is happy at the broncos.
Hoffman on video claiming as of his return from world cup he hasn't asked for a release.
hoffman's manager prior to his return from world cup claiming hoffman has requested a release.
Hoffman's manager prior to season start saying both he and hoffman have requested a release on multiple occassions.
only really makes sense for the manager to be lying or the journalists to me.

domm

domm

Feb 17, 2014
Hoffman on video claiming as of his return from world cup he hasn't asked for a release.
hoffman's manager prior to his return from world cup claiming hoffman has requested a release.
Hoffman's manager prior to season start saying both he and hoffman have requested a release on multiple occassions.

Of course Hoffman wouldn't say anything about it. A player's job is to play footy, a manager's job is to take care of business.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013

It all comes down to the wording. Hoffman's camp haven't used the word 'official' or 'written'. They could have verbally asked for a release but not submitted it formally, which I assume they won't do until they have a guarantee (as much as you can, anyway, without breaking the tampering laws) from the Bulldogs. So technically they have 'asked' for a release. But the Broncos have not received it, not officially anyway.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
You have to feel for Hoffman. He's was our best back in 2011, most of 2012 and 2013. He is also our best (fit - and Hodges may not be the same) back heading into 2014 and would be a massive loss to our squad coming into the season.

If we had Milford or another decent 5/8 locked up at the end of 2012 for 2014 before we signed Barba, I would much prefer Hoffman in the 1 jersey over Barba.

I think management mid 2012 were happy with Hoffman as long term fullback solution. IMO, our fade out in 2012 (despite the BHQ/media criticism around Hoffman's admission of not putting in 100% at the end of the season) had barely anything to do with Hoffman (and much more with the realisation that a gameplan focused around a clutch player like Lockyer, translated to a capable utility moonlighting as a halfback - Wallace - and a 20 year old Corey Norman, just won't work - that's Griffin's issue though).

Desperately then in Jan 2013 we got Prince out of the Titans divorce at a bargain rate, shafted Norman, shafted Hoffman to the wing.

So don't begrudge Hoffman on the basis of loyalty when the club has taken sides with or preferred or chased:

- Corey Norman
- Scott Prince
- Josh Dugan
- Anthony Milford
- Ben Barba

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
You have to feel for Hoffman. He's was our best back in 2011, most of 2012 and 2013. He is also our best (fit - and Hodges may not be the same) back heading into 2014 and would be a massive loss to our squad coming into the season.

If we had Milford or another decent 5/8 locked up at the end of 2012 for 2014 before we signed Barba, I would much prefer Hoffman in the 1 jersey over Barba.

I think management mid 2012 were happy with Hoffman as long term fullback solution. IMO, our fade out in 2012 (despite the BHQ/media criticism around Hoffman's admission of not putting in 100% at the end of the season) had barely anything to do with Hoffman (and much more with the realisation that a gameplan focused around a clutch player like Lockyer, translated to a capable utility moonlighting as a halfback - Wallace - and a 20 year old Corey Norman, just won't work - that's Griffin's issue though).

Desperately then in Jan 2013 we got Prince out of the Titans divorce at a bargain rate, shafted Norman, shafted Hoffman to the wing.

So don't begrudge Hoffman on the basis of loyalty when the club has taken sides with or preferred or chased:

- Corey Norman
- Scott Prince
- Josh Dugan
- Anthony Milford
- Ben Barba

All true Subsy,But you can't have a situation where the players decide where they're best put. you'll end up like the Wests Tigers

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
All true Subsy,But you can't have a situation where the players decide where they're best put. you'll end up like the Wests Tigers

Thats exactly right. Its obvious that "IF" Hoffman wants out because he isnt playing fullback then all he cares about is himself and not the team performance. Blind freddy can see that Hoffman just doesnt have the same ability as Barba when it comes to the fullback role and ball playing ability. If Hoffman was a team player he wouldnt care where he played as long as he was in the team.

Truth of the matter is neither Hoffman or Norman were remotely as good as Hunt when it came to running that second man play and creating oppurtunities with ball in hand. Thats why Barba has been bought.

Porthoz

Porthoz

International Captain
Senior Staff
Feb 27, 2010

- Corey Norman
- Scott Prince
- Josh Dugan
- Anthony Milford
- Ben Barba
I'm sorry, are you feeling well? That bold bit makes me think you should check your temperature! :aetsch:

Seriously though, how were Hoffman and Norman shafted? They were the first choice for their respective positions, and made a meal of it... They were the ones that forced Griffin, who isn't known for his flexibility and risk taking, to find other solutions, because one is a nonchalant ball hog and the other has the timing and ball playing skills of a potato.

I'm not suspect because I've always liked Hoffman, but like most people, came to realise that he just doesn't have the talent to play a modern fullback's game!

Kimlo

Kimlo

International Captain
Senior Staff
Apr 26, 2008
He's definitely not our best back heading into 2014. Hodges is better, Barba is better. At his best, he might be our 3rd best back this year.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
I'm sorry, are you feeling well? That bold bit makes me think you should check your temperature! :aetsch:

Seriously though, how were Hoffman and Norman shafted? They were the first choice for their respective positions, and made a meal of it... They were the ones that forced Griffin, who isn't known for his flexibility and risk taking, to find other solutions, because one is a nonchalant ball hog and the other has the timing and ball playing skills of a potato.

I'm not suspect because I've always liked Hoffman, but like most people, came to realise that he just doesn't have the talent to play a modern fullback's game!

I think Norman made a meal of it first, and his delivery to Hoffman probably effected Hoffman's game.

Cult

Cult

International Rep
Contributor
Oct 17, 2013
And there's a good chance Vidot and Copley could play better than Hoffman this year.

S

subsbligh

NRL Captain
Mar 16, 2008
To say a fullback must be a ball player is misguided, especially where the incumbent Australian fullback (Slater) isn't.

The Broncos structure, since the glory days of K.Hunt and Lockyer, requires a ball playing fullback. Lockyer, Norman, Wallace, Hunt, Macca, Hodges even are all ingrained with the low percentage play, build for a second man sweep to the fullback inside our 20 way of playing.

That's our structure and our shape on the pitch.

Hoffman is average at a ball playing fullback structure.

Now you can change the structure, or change Hoffman. The latter is much easier.

Given the structure hasn't brought a premiership in 8 years, perhaps it's not Hoffman that's the problem.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
All I will say sub is that I ever get to a situation that I am so incompetent at my job my employer hires someone to do it for me, but let's me keep my title, then when that doesn't work employs someone else and gives them my title but keeps me on the same pay and moves me to a role I can actually complete competently; and then after all that I chuck a tantrum, pose for photos with our direct competitor and engage the media against my current company... I want you in my corner

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.