Josh Hoffman

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
We used that second man play once in the 9's from memory granted it was modified. The ball went to Barba, he beat his man on the outside and then took the right option to put the winger over in the corner. Barba showed more skill and potency in those 5sec's in that play then Norman or Hoffman showed in their whole time at Fullback for the Broncos.

Norman would have thrown the dummy and blown the play by being tackled. Hoffman would have run across field over the sideline.

R

Rabbir

Banned User
Jul 4, 2013
We used that second man play once in the 9's from memory granted it was modified. The ball went to Barba, he beat his man on the outside and then took the right option to put the winger over in the corner. Barba showed more skill and potency in those 5sec's in that play then Norman or Hoffman showed in their whole time at Fullback for the Broncos.

Norman would have thrown the dummy and blown the play by being tackled. Hoffman would have run across field over the sideline.

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the play.

The fullback play I have seen the last few years has really made me angry. I'm talking "Steve Michaels playing left centre and running into touch or throwing a stupid pass so that Winterstein would get knocked into touch." angry.

Socnorb

Socnorb

NRL Captain
Contributor
Aug 5, 2013
Barba can create the same confusion as Mitchell Johnson. Speed can do that to a defender

Super Freak

Super Freak

International Captain
Forum Staff
Jan 25, 2014
I have a feeling that Bulldogs are responsible for Hoffman requesting a release, if he did request one. I think they've been talking to him and trying to convince him to leave. I didn't hear shit when Broncos tried to sign Dugan..

Last edited:
ivanhungryjak

ivanhungryjak

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Sep 8, 2009
What frustrated me about our "out the back" play is the lack of angle running from the decoys to hold the defence up. If they can't do this effectively, the defence can just slide and pluck ball runners with ease.

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
any play is only going to work if it is effected properly. as someone said, speed alone (well quick feet) can cause indecision leading to an overlap

hell watch jamie lyon play, the amount of times he creates something out of absoultely nothing for his winger just through footwork to get outside his man (with relatively nothing else on).. thats largely natural talent though.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
I'm sure some journalists are reading BHQ, a few people on here have already said that Hoffman should be released but not until after Round 1.

Josh Hoffman's future with Brisbane Broncos uncertain

The Brisbane Broncos could yet grant a release to disgruntled fullback Josh Hoffman - but not before the club plays the Bulldogs in the first round of the NRL season.

The future of the New Zealand international remains uncertain as the wrangling for his services continues.

His manager, Paul Hogan, insists Hoffman wants to hit eject at Red Hill to join Canterbury. The Broncos contend he is happy and going nowhere.

Neither party was interested in making any further comment but Fairfax Media understands the option remains open to release Hoffman from the final two years of his deal, as long as it's after Brisbane meet the Bulldogs in their season opener at Sydney's ANZ Stadium.

While Brisbane appear to be standing firm on Hoffman, there has been some precedent at Red Hill for a similar arrangement, with Hoffman's cousin Dane Gagai the most recent example.

Gagai signed a new deal with Brisbane in March 2012 but after repeated disciplinary infringements, was released just six weeks later to Wayne Bennett's Newcastle Knights.

Bennett intended to use Gagai as a replacement for the injured Timana Tahu when the Knights met Brisbane just five days later. But Brisbane wouldn't grant the clearance until two days after that match.

"That's accurate," Bennett said when asked about the impasse after that game. "They're playing within the rules."

Hoffman and Gagai may be related but their scenarios are entirely different. Brisbane lost patience with Gagai, a player they rated highly, after a number of breaches of the club's code of conduct.

Hoffman, on the other hand, has reputedly fallen out with head coach Anthony Griffin over a variety of issues and wants to move to the Bulldogs, whose players he formed a bond with during the Rugby League World Cup.

The Broncos contend Hoffman is happy at the club and he certainly looked that way in the Rugby League Nines, when he performed strongly to help his club to an all-Queensland grand final against the Cowboys.

It now looks as if there will be little movement from either party until the conclusion of the first round, when Brisbane may show their hand in regards to Hoffman's future.

It's a continuing issue but Brisbane are no stranger to pre-season drama. They recruited Greg Inglis in 2010, then lost him to South Sydney after he failed to show for the first training session that November.

And in 2011, coach Ivan Henjak was fired just weeks out from the start of the season, with Griffin being given his opportunity in the big office.

Source: Josh Hoffman's future with Brisbane Broncos uncertain

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Like I said before. If he cared about the team and his team mates he wouldnt care where he played in the team as long as he was named. IMO he is being selfish and arrogant.

There has to be a truth to the rumour he wants out. If I was an elite athlete playing for the Broncos and I was happy where I was and my manager went to the media and said I wasnt then I'd be cutting ties with my manager straight away and making my own statement to confirm my manager was full of shit. The fact that we havent heard from Hoffman denying the rumours makes be believe 100% that they are true.

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011
Like I said before. If he cared about the team and his team mates he wouldnt care where he played in the team as long as he was named. IMO he is being selfish and arrogant.

There has to be a truth to the rumour he wants out. If I was an elite athlete playing for the Broncos and I was happy where I was and my manager went to the media and said I wasnt then I'd be cutting ties with my manager straight away and making my own statement to confirm my manager was full of shit. The fact that we havent heard from Hoffman denying the rumours makes be believe 100% that they are true.

This is 100% correct. No offence intended at all but anyone that still believes Hoffman doesnt want and it's all his manager are being incredibly naive

Donald

Donald

QCup Player
Mar 25, 2013
Here is food for thought. If Hoffman is named this weekend for the trial game is that an idication that the Broncos wont release Hoffman or he hasnt asked for a release...?

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
This is 100% correct. No offence intended at all but anyone that still believes Hoffman doesnt want and it's all his manager are being incredibly naive

Definitely, people laughed at the Raiders fans who claimed that Milford didn't want out because all the information was coming from Ayoub and not from Milford himself. This is exactly the same IMO.

Here is a tweet from Hoffman which he posted back in November, it is in response to a fan asking what Hook's plans are for him.

[TWEET]405875109661245440[/TWEET]

Make of it what you will but it's pretty obvious he wants out. You can view the full conversation here: https://twitter.com/jhoffdog/status/405875109661245440

I wonder if good ol' Maddog is a member on BHQ?

Last edited:
noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008
its no secret he did want out but it should of been handled back then. for it to come up again now is disappointing. it did seem like he had put it all behind him and was focused on a big season. obviously he's said nothing since but why else would his manager bring it up again.

the broncos need to sort this out one way of the other, quicksmart.

I

IBA

NYC Player
Mar 23, 2012
That article really paints it as if Hoffman and Hook have the issues. Maybe there is a bit of a wait and see on Hook over the first handful of rounds. If Hook gets hooked, Hoffman might give it a crack under a new coach?

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
That article really paints it as if Hoffman and Hook have the issues. Maybe there is a bit of a wait and see on Hook over the first handful of rounds. If Hook gets hooked, Hoffman might give it a crack under a new coach?

Excellent point.

Nashy

Nashy

Immortal
Senior Staff
Mar 5, 2008
Definitely, people laughed at the Raiders fans who claimed that Milford didn't want out because all the information was coming from Ayoub and not from Milford himself. This is exactly the same IMO.

Here is a tweet from Hoffman which he posted back in November, it is in response to a fan asking what Hook's plans are for him.

[TWEET]405875109661245440[/TWEET]

Make of it what you will but it's pretty obvious he wants out. You can view the full conversation here: https://twitter.com/jhoffdog/status/405875109661245440

I wonder if good ol' Maddog is a member on BHQ?

He used to be.

N

nopatience101

NRL Captain
Mar 4, 2008
I'm sure some journalists are reading BHQ, a few people on here have already said that Hoffman should be released but not until after Round 1.
The reasoning is ridiculous, releasing him is still going to benefit our opposition, whether he plays against us or not.

I don't see him getting a release this year, the club is under pressure to improve on last year and they arent going to be releasing the guy that scored us 14-odd tries last season. With Hodges coming back from injury and Barba still having issues with his ankle, releasing him is a luxury we cant afford atm.

The only reason hogan is ramping things up now is because with the season about to start he knows he will have little hope of getting him a release mid-season.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013
The reasoning is ridiculous, releasing him is still going to benefit our opposition, whether he plays against us or not.

I don't see him getting a release this year, the club is under pressure to improve on last year and they arent going to be releasing the guy that scored us 14-odd tries last season. With Hodges coming back from injury and Barba still having issues with his ankle, releasing him is a luxury we cant afford atm.

The only reason hogan is ramping things up now is because with the season about to start he knows he will have little hope of getting him a release mid-season.

Yeah, can't argue with those points mate.

Active Now

• MrMoore
  • Howie
  • teampjta
  • Stix
  • Foordy
  • Santa
  • GCBRONCO
  • Financeguy
  • Broncosarethebest
  • Big Del
  • Wolfie
  • Bucking Beads
  • BroncosAlways
  • Xzei
  • lynx000
  • Allo
... and 1 more.
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.