Josh Hoffman

Re: Josh Hoffman, to the principles office!

if this is all true then i don't like the way we're handling it. we should just let him go, if he really wants to.

we don't need to act petty over it. waiting til after rnd 1 is acting like a child.

if he is released i've no hard feelings and all the best to him. i don't see him as a fullback, and i would be quite interested to see how he goes at another club playing there.

it surprises me though that he doesnt see the excitement and opportunities of playing outside barba.

i dont think its about money. if he goes to the dogs and fails well he has killed his career because no club will ever want him again. the dogs have a couple of good young fullbacks on their books that are a year or two off NRL. at least at hte broncos he's safe and we all saw how good he is on the wing and could be a great centre if he wants to be.

Last edited:

Statistically, the worst Brisbane Broncos team of all time.

Can you blame the club for getting tough?

And how would making a player rot in the Qcup change that?

When i said after round 1 that was a petty jab at the situation. I say let him go now and lets bring on who is the better fullback round 1.

Hoffman is not a fullback is game is toolimited, maybe Hasler can do wonders with him he has that gift but if he thinks he is going to walk in and use the same game plan he did with Barba well could luck to that.

Releasing him after round 1 is balls. If we release him (which I think we should if he wants to leave), just do it now, don't jerk anyone around. Would make the Round 1 clash even better.

totally agree

youve got to wonder how it would affect the playing group to know the suits are being pricks. the players would very quietly support hoffmans wishes as they are his mate. im sure theyd be sad to see him go but if thats how it is, they arent going to be angry at him for it. it would only create a negative feeling towards the higher ups if the players know white and co are dicking around their mate.

Last edited:

And how would making a player rot in the Qcup change that?

If he doesn't want to be at the club and is playing for the Bulldogs at some stage this year or at best in 2015 it doesn't matter.

Screw the transfer fee, our Scrooge McDuck vault is at capacity anyway. The biggest difference between this situation and the Barba situation from a practical standpoint is that the Bulldogs had an entire offseason to find a replacement. We'd have a couple of weeks with nobody left on the market to replace a guaranteed starter. I'm happy with the improvements to our depth in the backs this year but if the Dogs want us to disrupt our preseason this close to round one (against them, no less) they need to give us a player.

Ok this is rubbish.

Hoffman is contracted until the end of 2015, period.

The Broncos should offer to release Hoffman on the following conditions:

1. Dogs pay back the transfer fee that we paid for Barba;

2. Dogs pay a transfer fee equal to Hoffman's salay for the next two seasons multiplied by 1.25;

3. We get to pick 2 players from the Dogs first grade roster and the Dogs must secure their agreement to play for Brisbane (but the Dogs pay their entire salary for the remainder of their contract);

4. Hoffman does not get picked to play against Brisbane;

5. Dogs offer 5,000 packages to Brisbane members (incl flights and accomm) for Brisbane members to attend Brisbane v Dogs games in Sydney.

Otherwise they can get stuffed and they can speak to him when his contract expires.

Massive disappointment, but ffs, we don't need to resort to being petty grubs like Bulldogs & Raiders fans. Demands like waiting until after the bulldogs game to allow the transfer is just stooping to their level. So is expecting him to play out his contract while unhappy. Cut our losses, and take the high ground like we would expect the Broncos to do.

In saying that, **** the Bulldogs. To claim that they facilitated the release of Barba, and expect us to do the same, is just lowlife bull****. They wanted him ****ing gone, and they had underlying reasons that they hid from the NRL and the public until the deal had already been done. The fact that the media are eating up that bull**** just sickens me. The Barba & Hoffman situations are not even close to the same scenario, and claiming such is despicable. Scum club. But we have to rise above it.

The two conditions I would deem to be fair, as others have mentioned:
* Barba transfer fee is returned.
* He has to be on the same contract value as his Broncos one for the remaining time period of his current contract. As much as I'd love the Bulldogs to have to sacrifice more of their cap, he has to vindicate his claim that it's not about the money.

It's crap because their CEO (for ages) said Barba wasn't going anywhere.

The fact that the Bulldogs have been courting him (despite his being on contract) should see the NRL come down on them like a tonne of bricks....

Love it but no club would agree to that, they aren't that desperate

Ok this is rubbish.

Hoffman is contracted until the end of 2015, period.

The Broncos should offer to release Hoffman on the following conditions:

1. Dogs pay back the transfer fee that we paid for Barba;

2. Dogs pay a transfer fee equal to Hoffman's salay for the next two seasons multiplied by 1.25;

3. We get to pick 2 players from the Dogs first grade roster and the Dogs must secure their agreement to play for Brisbane (but the Dogs pay their entire salary for the remainder of their contract);

4. Hoffman does not get picked to play against Brisbane;

5. Dogs offer 5,000 packages to Brisbane members (incl flights and accomm) for Brisbane members to attend Brisbane v Dogs games in Sydney.

Otherwise they can get stuffed and they can speak to him when his contract expires.

Numbers 2 -5 are extremely unrealistic (and expensive) lists of demands.

Love it but no club would agree to that, they aren't that desperate

I know, that's how you stop them sniffing around.

If they don't want to sacrifice something the matters (players etc) then sorry, not interested.

We're the only club that turns a profit, we don't need their money.

About time the NRL started to get some spine on this "I'm not happy, I want a release" crap....you signed a contract, man up, be professional and play it out.

NRL should just refuse to register the new contract.

If he doesn't want to be at the club and is playing for the Bulldogs at some stage this year or at best in 2015 it doesn't matter.

My point is it achieves nothing positive and just makes us look like Harmichaels. Also, it is a distraction we don't need and could affect us signing players or keeping current ones. It's just pettiness for the sake of it

It's crap because their CEO (for ages) said Barba wasn't going anywhere.

The fact that the Bulldogs have been courting him (despite his being on contract) should see the NRL come down on them like a tonne of bricks....

The Bulldogs management have only expressed an interest should he be released. Same thing we did with Barba and Milford. So if the NRL come down on the Bulldogs, they have to come down on us.

There is nothing in the rules to stop players trying to convince someone to sign with their club. Regardless of contract status.

I know, that's how you stop them sniffing around.

If they don't want to sacrifice something the matters (players etc) then sorry, not interested.

We're the only club that turns a profit, we don't need their money.

About time the NRL started to get some spine on this "I'm not happy, I want a release" crap....you signed a contract, man up, be professional and play it out.

NRL should just refuse to register the new contract.

And if they Bulldogs thought that way we wouldn't have Barba running out for us this season.

FYI, were no longer the only club to make a profit, Souths do these days as well. And I tyink one or two others do as well. Although we still make the biggest profit

Huh? There are around 400 current player contracts and maybe this situation occurs 3 or 4 times a year. I'm not quite sure the NRL needs to get too involved just yet. The Broncos should be capable to manage this situation without the NRL coming in and telling them what to do.

There is a human element involved in this with Hoffman. The Broncos are probably trying to guage if there is any negative impact to rejecting his request. Milford for example seems to have accepted his fate and will play for the Raiders.
If Hoffman does not accept the rejection and goes down the Dugan/Ferguson route then it is just bad news for the club.

The last thing we need is the NRL telling the Broncos what to do under some sort of blanket ruling. Each case should be treated on its own merits.

Unread

Active Now

• scobie
  • BroncsNBundy
  • Broncosarethebest
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.