Josh Hoffman

domm

domm

Feb 17, 2014
Re: Josh Hoffman, to the principles office!

These are all great points.
The fact is that Hoffman is a great winger, but an average fullback.
A modern day fullback needs to be able to inject himself into the attacking line at will and Hoffman can never get the timing right.
He needs to put up or shut up in my opinion.

It's ridiculous, spoilt behaviour - you play professional rugby league for a living, you earn more than the majority of people in this country to do so, be happy with that and try to prove you're the best at fullback if that's what you want. Otherwise, be happy to be in such a fortunate position.

Regardless, if we do release him, I think Mills showed enough over the weekend to prove he is solid depth in the team.

B

bb_gun

NRL Player
Contributor
Apr 23, 2013

Can someone please create a poll on this topic (sorry I don't know how)?

Who thinks he should stay and see out his contract versus who thinks the club should release him and be done with it. I'd personally like to see what the general consensus is on BHQ.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Welcome domm

noisetheory

noisetheory

NRL Captain
Mar 31, 2008

The fact that the Bulldogs have been courting him (despite his being on contract) should see the NRL come down on them like a tonne of bricks....

you'd have be pretty naive to think that the broncos weren't courting Barba WELL before the dogs agreed to release him...

Splinter

Splinter

NRL Player
Feb 16, 2013

I am sure Broncs & Bulldogs are discussing this at present.
My only concern are the injuries we have and whether Barba will actually make round 1. If we have one more injury to an outside back for the start of the season and he has gone to the dogs then we are in trouble.
Maybe we are asking for Moses Mbye in return

Rhys van Beurden

Rhys van Beurden

QCup Player
Jun 20, 2013

I keep reading that we promised Hoffman the fullback position and broke that promise by playing Corey Norman there, and then signing Barba. When the hell did we promise Hoffman fullback? Who even does that ever? Players have to earn positions, not be promised them.

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

The Bulldogs management have only expressed an interest should he be released. Same thing we did with Barba and Milford. So if the NRL come down on the Bulldogs, they have to come down on us.

There is nothing in the rules to stop players trying to convince someone to sign with their club. Regardless of contract status.

I just don't believe that the Dogs have just been expressing interest.

And is against the rules to try to get someone to break their contract, it's a tort called "interference with contractual relations".

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

And if they Bulldogs thought that way we wouldn't have Barba running out for us this season.

FYI, were no longer the only club to make a profit, Souths do these days as well. And I tyink one or two others do as well. Although we still make the biggest profit

Rubbish.

The Dogs looked after themselves first and they stitched up a sweetheart deal.

They got the best deal they could before they released Barba.

All I am saying is that we need to do the same straight back to them.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

I just don't believe that the Dogs have just been expressing interest.

And is against the rules to try to get someone to break their contract, it's a tort called "interference with contractual relations".

Mate don't be naive... The Bulldogs are currently doing nothing different to what we did. Its just that we gotnthe better player

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

Huh? There are around 400 current player contracts and maybe this situation occurs 3 or 4 times a year. I'm not quite sure the NRL needs to get too involved just yet. The Broncos should be capable to manage this situation without the NRL coming in and telling them what to do.

There is a human element involved in this with Hoffman. The Broncos are probably trying to guage if there is any negative impact to rejecting his request. Milford for example seems to have accepted his fate and will play for the Raiders.
If Hoffman does not accept the rejection and goes down the Dugan/Ferguson route then it is just bad news for the club.

The last thing we need is the NRL telling the Broncos what to do under some sort of blanket ruling. Each case should be treated on its own merits.

If Hoffman can't be a man about it then we put him at Redcliffe for the next two years. That fixes his impact on the playing group right there.

I'm sorry, a contract is a contract.

A player getting his way because he spat the dummy because he couldn't play in his favoured position is hardly the lesson we want to teach the kids who watch the game right?

B

Brent81

Made Legal Threat to BHQ
Oct 31, 2012

Mate don't be naive... The Bulldogs are currently doing nothing different to what we did. Its just that we gotnthe better player

Nothing to do with the player mate.

The Bulldogs got a sweetheart deal out of us. Now the shoe is the on the other foot.

Bulldogs can have Hoffman. But they are going to pay dearly for him (and a mere transfer fee or a few free tickets that will get the job done).

broncos4life

broncos4life

International Captain
Forum Staff
Oct 5, 2011

If Hoffman can't be a man about it then we put him at Redcliffe for the next two years. That fixes his impact on the playing group right there.

A player getting his way because he spat the dummy because he couldn't play in his favoured position is hardly the lesson we want to teach the kids who watch the game right?

I sincerely hope our administration arent going to be this pathetic. Piss the prick off, I am sick of reading his shit in the paper and I don't want to see him in the team come round 1

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

And while we are being petty, we have over 300k of our salary cap sitting in the Qld cup, money that could be spent getting us a player that wants to play for us.

That is just wasting salary cap space by being unprofessional... Thats just not the Broncos.

Lets make the best deal we can with the Bulldogs and release him. Then get on with the business at hand.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008

Nothing to do with the player mate.

The Bulldogs got a sweetheart deal out of us. Now the shoe is the on the other foot.

Bulldogs can have Hoffman. But they are going to pay dearly for him (and a mere transfer fee or a few free tickets that will get the job done).

Was Hoffman you favourite player and your upset he is leaving, or are you just a naturally vindictive person.

All that will happen by making the price too high for the Bulldogs, is they will refuse to pay it and we will be stuck with an unhappy player (that will unlikely be dropped) that severely affects our team morale.it is just not a smart move on our part.

H

HVbronco

NYC Player
Oct 30, 2013

Let him go( for a transfer fee of at least the amount we paid for barba) and put the extra money in the "DCE" fund.

Financeguy

Financeguy

NRL Player
Apr 24, 2013

Hoffman either plays first grade or he leaves for another NRL club.

Playing him in Qld cup to teach him a lesson is petty, foolish and is a financial burden as its cap money that could be spent on a first grade squad member.

There is no positives for the Broncos as an organisation to demote someone to Qld Cup because they dared ask for a release to play in their preferred position.

Ari Gold

Ari Gold

Master Baiter
Contributor
Mar 13, 2008

Hoffman either plays first grade or he leaves for another NRL club.

Playing him in Qld cup to teach him a lesson is petty, foolish and is a financial burden as its cap money that could be spent on a first grade squad member.

There is no positives for the Broncos as an organisation to demote someone to Qld Cup because they dared ask for a release to play in their preferred position.

It's not really a financial burden though because every player is signed for 2014. Even if we free up the space I don't see who you are signing, unless you think Blake Ferguson would somehow be allowed to play.

Hoffman signed a contract, and the only excuse he has for wanting out is that he didn't do enough to warrant being selected in the position he wants. A position he himself admitted he got to play in 2012 and didn't put in 100% whilst doing it. Frankly I don't think he deserves a release.

Unread

Active Now

• Harry Sack
  • Brocko
  • Santa
  • broncos4life
  • Sproj
  • Foordy
  • Justwin
  • Johnny92
  • Old Mate
  • Strop
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.