Josh McGuire signs with Cowboys - Immediate Switch

Yes you do, otherwise Korbin Sims has been hard done by his entire career.

Nobody is calling McGuire an upstanding gentleman, but by Rugby League standards, he isn't as prolific as you'd think.

Sorry mate, but that's simply not correct. We see face rubs day in day out in rugby league, the niggly little shit that started to become a real issue when they couldn't punch on anymore, "accidental" elbows and walking on hands etc, and they are absolutely not issued penalties 95% of the time.

If you're suggesting Korbin took a penalty for everything grubby he has done, I feel you're watching with the same Broncos glasses as those who don't believe Moose is a grub.

Last edited:
You can’t use penalties as an indicator of grubbiness.

Plenty of those would be for offside, strips, hands in the ruck, holding down and not square at marker. Don’t forget the blitz at the start of the year that would skew the stats as well.

Unless you are going to list every single penalty it’s irrelevant.

Sorry mate, but that's simply not correct. We see face rubs day in day out in rugby league, the niggly little shit that started to become a real issue when they couldn't punch on anymore, "accidental" elbows and walking on hands etc, and they are absolutely not issued penalties 95% of the time.

If you're suggesting Korbin took a penalty for everything grubby he has done, I feel you're watching with the same Broncos glasses as those who don't believe Moose is a grub.

I forgot about stomping on players hands. I hate seeing that stuff! Some of the things players do out on the footy field you would damn near get charged with assault for if they did it anywhere else. It kinda makes you wonder.

Anyone know if my theory that Gallen, once one of the most penalised players cleaned up his act and each successive year from a big peak about 5 or 6 years ago up until the end of 2018 his numbers (stats for ill discipline) showed a strong downward trend?

It may just be me dreaming but I'm pretty sure he was labelled the dirtiest most penalised player several years back but I had an idea he'd taken a decision to change, could be way off here.

And we see it from every player as well, it isn't like McGuire is the only player who gets away with it, all of them do. Some just take it so far they're penalised more often.

I'm not suggesting he did, I'm saying Korbin has been penalised for it because there was a famous incident where it just about cost Brisbane a game against Melbourne.

Anyone know if my theory that Gallen, once one of the most penalised players cleaned up his act and each successive year from a big peak about 5 or 6 years ago up until the end of 2018 his numbers (stats for ill discipline) showed a strong downward trend?

It may just be me dreaming but I'm pretty sure he was labelled the dirtiest most penalised player several years back but I had an idea he'd taken a decision to change, could be way off here.

No I think you're right. I'm interested to look at his 2007/08 stats where he developed a reputation just to see how it stacks up. Up until '18 he was still one of the most penalised players in the game, albeit not as bad as Fifita.

And we see it from every player as well, it isn't like McGuire is the only player who gets away with it, all of them do. Some just take it so far they're penalised more often.

I'm not suggesting he did, I'm saying Korbin has been penalised for it because there was a famous incident where it just about cost Brisbane a game against Melbourne.

I'm not saying we don't see it from a lot more players, where did you get that from?

I think with his captaincy's and his kids, he seemed to grow up a little. He's certainly not the super grub **** he was when he first hit the scene.

Be great if someone could post the top 20 most penalised players over say, the last 10 years. I'd do it but it would be a slow and laborious process as I'm a one finger typist and not all that proficient with computers plus not knowing where to get the stats makes it unlikely.

Be great if someone could post the top 20 most penalised players over say, the last 10 years. I'd do it but it would be a slow and laborious process as I'm a one finger typist and not all that proficient with computers plus not knowing where to get the stats makes it unlikely.

Penalties aren't a good indicator to judge grubbiness on the field though.

This would be pertinent information if we could somehow filter the most penalised players by dirty acts, but I don't think even SF would want to re-watch the entire NRL season to do that.

I understand your point, but I think you need to re-watch, or at the very least keep a closer eye on Moose next season at the Cowboys in the ruck, he's constantly doing almost anything he can to try and tilt the opposition, pulling hair, pulling off strapping, hands in face, elbows, knees, standing on hands "accidentally", you name it - virtually every game. I stand by my comment that Fifita cleaned up his game as well, he obviously still gives away a truck load of penalties, but I seldom saw him do any of that sort of grubby stuff in 2018, at least comparatively to previous versions of Fifita (I'd know, he was my SC captain a lot of the time, so I was monitoring his every move.)

I think with his captaincy's and his kids, he seemed to grow up a little. He's certainly not the super grub **** he was when he first hit the scene.
I remember reading somewhere where Flanagan sent Gallen to have a yarn with an old timer (not sure who) any way the story goes that as soon as Gal walked in the door the old timer called him a soft cu** due to his cowardly underhand and grubby antics on the field. Gallen claims it was from that point on he made a concerted effort to clean up his game.

Personally, I'm a fan of the dark arts. They happen in every sport. If you're good enough to get away with it, more power to you.

Sport is a battle. If you can exploit an advantage and get away with it, you're smart.

I think there's a very clear distinction between the dark arts and thuggery though. One is designed and performed to put someone off their game, the other is simply to physically attack someone.

Last edited:
Personally, I'm a fan of the dark arts. They happen in every sport. If you're good enough to get away with it, more power to you.

Sport is a battle. If you can exploit an advantage and get away with it, you're smart.

I think there's a very clear distinction between the dark arts and thuggery though. One is designed and performed to put someone off their game, the other is simply to physically attack someone.[/QUOT

I think there's a very clear distinction between the dark arts and thuggery though. One is designed and performed to put someone off their game, the other is simply to physically attack someone.

I'm interested to hear how you distinguish black arts from thuggery though can give us a few examples please.

Nah, if I can't talk about it, you can't either. Why? Your son played football, was invited playing football. So, with that in mind, I will continue my questioning to someone who doesn't want their child playing in the thuggery of RL.

And my argument wasn't as weak as a shitty gif was it?

I think on the field, Moose is on the same level as those two examples.
Okay, we're definitely on different wave lengths. I'm not saying RL is a thug sport at all, and as you know I let my son choose whichever sport he wanted to play, and was it not for an unfortunate injury at the worst possible time (Meninga cup trials), he might still be playing RL, because he was a pretty talented kid with something you can't teach... speed.

It still fucking scared the shit out of me to see the idiot's lack of self preservation, running full pelt into kids who weighed 30+ kgs more than him, and seeing him carried away in an ambulance to the hospital with a neck injury, or seeing the physio put his dislocated shoulder back in place, so I can imagine how parents with kids with a smaller frame wouldn't let their children play the game.
It's that parent perspective I was talking about, not RL being for thugs, which is not something I agree with anyway, although there seems to be a higher amount of them around the game, perhaps as someone said, just because the media likes to shit of the hand that feeds them.

As many Gallens and Fifitas as we have, we also have McCulloughs or Civonecivas who deserve admiration for the way they play(ed) the game!

As to McGuire, we're gonna have to agree to disagree. He's nowhere near as much of a thug as Fifita or Gallen imo.

Watched the last 15 minutes of SOO game 3 2018 last night, we are really going to miss his defence and competitive nature. Addo makes a break and gets past nearly everyone, Slater stops him but he gets a pass away to another back and then another and Moose makes the tackle.

Middle forward sprinting 60+ meters just in case and saves the game.

Hope these other boys step up because they are some big boots to fill.

I'm interested to hear how you distinguish black arts from thuggery though can give us a few examples please.
Sure

League - "facemasking", using the forearm to get off them, holding onto opp in a scrum, etc.

soccer - shirt pulling, following through on a tackle, tagging someone, standing on someones metatarsals with your tags just to let them know you're there.

(i only play soccer nowadays and used to play league, i would list other sports but i've never played them at a competitive level apart from the aforementioned)

it's all small stuff, it won't physically injure someone unless you take it to the extreme, but it'll put people off their games and it isn't always picked up by the respective refs.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Xzei
  • Brocko
  • FACTHUNT
  • Nerd
  • Dash
  • Mister Wright
  • Fitzy
  • Sproj
  • cento
  • Big Del
  • Foordy
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.