Josh McGuire signs with Cowboys - Immediate Switch

It’s literally part of the game to inflict as much (legal) physical damage/fatigue through brutal collisions and wrestling tactics. I can’t see how it’s thuggish. It’s the modern day gladiatorial sport. I do love it though.

Then, look at the off-field shit that happens in league...

I enjoyed the contact, smashing someone with a nice tackle is good fun, even taking a tackle (as long as nothing gets crushed/broken) can be fun. Gallen is a good definition of a thug, because what he has done in the past goes beyond playing a good physical game into straight up bullying and dickhead conduct, pulling stitches, squirrel grips, throwing punches at the slightest provocation etc. Obviously not unique to league, but certainly in abundance relative to other sports, admittedly with less physical contact.

I know it's just my experience but I played like 5 games of union and got my face stomped on intentionally twice. I played a season of A grade men's soccer at 15 and the older blokes tried fighting me because I was quicker than them. I got violently pushed out of the air trying to catch a bad pass in basketball, straight into the hoop. I've been followed out to the car park as a volleyball referee. I never had any issues playing League. I think all sports have dickheads playing though. For every Cameron Smith, McGuire or Fifita there's a McCullough or Matt Scott who play the game fairly

I know it's just my experience but I played like 5 games of union and got my face stomped on intentionally twice. I played a season of A grade men's soccer at 15 and the older blokes tried fighting me because I was quicker than them. I got violently pushed out of the air trying to catch a bad pass in basketball, straight into the hoop. I've been followed out to the car park as a volleyball referee. I never had any issues playing League. I think all sports have dickheads playing though. For every Cameron Smith, McGuire or Fifita there's a McCullough or Matt Scott who play the game fairly

3 bad for every two good? Sounds about right.

Followed to the car park as a volleyball ref? Lol. Man volleyball is rough. Are you like your bhq persona in real life?

3 bad for every two good? Sounds about right.

Followed to the car park as a volleyball ref? Lol. Man volleyball is rough. Are you like your bhq persona in real life?
Some people just don't like losing. Doesn't help that I grew up in Gladstone where the collective IQ of any sporting team is below 100. I like how you make jokes about my sarcasm and you do it just as often. But you got your obligatory Soup like. Good for you.

Chronic victim mentality.

And do you think this stuff helps. He made a post that did not attack you or anyone else, yet you put the boot in for some reason.

You got pushed into a hoop that was 10ft in the air? Kinda curious to hear more about this one.

Last edited:
Some people just don't like losing. Doesn't help that I grew up in Gladstone where the collective IQ of any sporting team is below 100. I like how you make jokes about my sarcasm and you do it just as often. But you got your obligatory Soup like. Good for you.

Can confirm the average IQ in Gladstone, in fact you are probably being generous.

Update on McGuire: a friend of a friend who’s close with him said the motivation for leaving is that by the time he gets to the final year of his broncs contract he feels he may he overshadowed by the young crop of forwards (at least as far as hype goes) and thinks he may end up with a downgraded contract. The cowboys 3 yr contract with TPAs results in at least $150k more per year and continues that money for an additional 2 years. For him it was purely financial future based. As usual Bennett did not want to stand in his way of making a better financial decision for him and his family. End of story.

Sure it was your cousins uncles step brothers sisters baby sitters dog walker friend who told you this?

My observation was just that there was perhaps some karmic element to your experiences, I mean volley ballers following you to the car park? I agree with your point though, every sport has its share of wankers. Rugby league seems to have a lot of players that are violent off the field as well, part of it might be the media, which is just about the worst I’ve seen, always making a buck off disparaging the game and it’s players, but like I said, from my experience playing and observing, it seems to attract an unusually high quota of bullies.

My observation was just that there was perhaps some karmic element to your experiences, I mean volley ballers following you to the car park? I agree with your point though, every sport has its share of wankers. Rugby league seems to have a lot of players that are violent off the field as well, part of it might be the media, which is just about the worst I’ve seen, always making a buck off disparaging the game and it’s players, but like I said, from my experience playing and observing, it seems to attract an unusually high quota of bullies.
Yeah I get your point. You’re wrong. But cheers for your input.

Volley ballers, dude.
I think you’re coming from a place of ignorance where you still think certain sports are no more than social competitions where everyone is friendly? Ever played at a high, competitive level?

Regardless of the physicality of the game, the competitive edge is always there. Wouldn't surprise me if some highly strung, uber competitive douchebags got confrontational over an imagined slight by a ref.

Regardless of the physicality of the game, the competitive edge is always there. Wouldn't surprise me if some highly strung, uber competitive douchebags got confrontational over an imagined slight by a ref.
There’s no contact but a quick YouTube search can show you how physical it can be.

I think you’re coming from a place of ignorance where you still think certain sports are no more than social competitions where everyone is friendly? Ever played at a high, competitive level?

Yes. We didn’t have a lot of punch ons in Qld juniors cricket. Occasional sledging yes, bouncers galore yes. My experience is that rugby league draws more violently oriented people than other sports. I’ve already said I don’t consider it a sport for thugs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Come on man. You don't get penalised for rubbing someone's face, or standing up by pushing your elbow into a chest or back.

We are talking about grubs, not Ill discipline.

Yes you do, otherwise Korbin Sims has been hard done by his entire career.

Nobody is calling McGuire an upstanding gentleman, but by Rugby League standards, he isn't as prolific as you'd think. If he was, he'd be one of the more disciplined players in the game, either through penalties or suspensions, neither which are the case.

What I really object to is this notion that somehow Fifita has cleaned up his game (by giving away 39 penalties last season) and that somehow despite watching just as much football as anyone, somehow most of us lack the ability to see all the acts that should have been penalised.

It's either wrong, or it's nonsense that adds nothing to your argument.

Last edited:

Active Now

• Socnorb
  • Porthoz
  • ChewThePhatt
  • bert_lifts
  • Manofoneway
  • Maroon4life
  • Skyblues87
  • broncsgoat
  • I bleed Maroon
  • peter09
  • GCBRONCO
  • BroncosAlways
  • theshed
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.