Justin Hodges - Achilles

Anonymous person

Anonymous person

Banned User
Dec 16, 2008
i dont see any way hes back for round 1, let alone significantly before origin 1.

M

Manifesto

QCup Player
Jun 5, 2012
While its great news, I think its a pipedream that he will be back for round 1. I would hazard a guess and say if he is progressing well, it will be more like round 10 or so as a target, which is just before origin. You'd think he would need a month of game time to be fit for origin so that would be around round 7 or so??. Depending on when he is right, it might be better if he skips origin next year?

Dexter

Dexter

State of Origin Rep
Contributor
Mar 26, 2008
I also remember they were having complications, like blood vessels attaching themselves to the tendon during the healing process - he kept having to have more surgery to detach them etc. With any luck they'll use the same guys and they'll already know what they're dealing with.

The blood vessel thing is quite common not much they can do about it except correct it afterwards.

B

brodster_1

BRL Player
Jul 2, 2013
It might be craig gower or george rose, but definately not hodges

vertigo

vertigo

State of Origin Rep
Mar 2, 2010
Shame he is even thinking about Origin. I was hoping he retired from rep footy and tried to be fit for the Broncos.

If you're still in Mal's plans you aren't going to knock back a QLD jersey are you?

We all hoped the same from Lockyer but the fact is he was still good enough to play for QLD and the Broncos.

As far as injuries go, I was surprised Hodgo made it through a whole series but it just shows he can do it again and still back up for us.

Last edited:
Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
The blood vessel thing is quite common not much they can do about it except correct it afterwards.

Bugger. I was picturing a pre-emptive team of doctors, armed with mini lasers, ready to go all Space Invaders on those rogue blood vessels. Pew pew!

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
Hodges On Track For Early Return - Brisbane Broncos

Hodges On Track For Early Return

THE Broncos and Queensland have received a major boost for their 2014 preparations with star centre Justin Hodges to be fit for the State of Origin series.
The 31-year-old was initially expected to miss nine months after rupturing his achilles tendon in Brisbane's 26-24 defeat of the Dragons last month at Suncorp Stadium.
That rehabilitation time frame would have seen Hodges return around late May next year, leaving him seriously underdone for the June 4 Origin opener in Brisbane.
But Hodges has impressed with his post-operative progress, giving Broncos medicos hope the Test centre will be training at full capacity within six months.
The best-case scenario is that Hodges will be available for Brisbane's season-opener, but even a conservative estimate would see him return to the paddock well before the Origin series.
Broncos coach Anthony Griffin said while his strike weapon will miss October's World Cup, he is well ahead of schedule and hopes to discard crutches later this month.
"Our medical people are confident they may be able to shorten the recovery period," Griffin said.
"Justin himself is very positive, he’s come out of the operation well and already commenced his rehab. He's feeling good so we just have to keep our fingers crossed and work hard with him.
"He's still in a boot and on crutches, but hopefully he has to stay on them for a couple more weeks.
"We have a long way to go with Hodgo so you never know. But I am being optimistic, we are hopeful he will be back on the park before the middle of next season."
Should Hodges be unavailable for round 1, backline utilities Jordan Kahu and Josh Hoffman would be frontline contenders to temporarily fill the void at right centre.
The Maroons veteran has learned harsh lessons from his first achilles tear in 2010. At the time, Hodges attempted to rush back for the playoffs, only to aggravate the injury and face a nine-month recovery.
"Justin is banking on it being a shorter recovery this time, around six months," Griffin said.
"The medical staff and Hodgo are going to do things a bit differently this time.
"Last time, with the situation we were in, it was getting towards the back end of the year and Hodgo was putting too much pressure on himself and may have rushed it.
"That was an in-season issue, but this time Justin’s rehabilitation will be out of season."

LittleDavey

LittleDavey

NRL Captain
Mar 25, 2013
It'll definitely be quicker without him trying to rush back - he knows the score this time, been through it before, so he won't push it. No need to either, being over the off-season, he's got all the time in the world. Good luck mate!

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
He has said he will consider retiring from rep footy which imo will be best for all parties.

Foordy

Foordy

International Captain
Contributor
Mar 4, 2008
there was no quote in the article from Hodges saying he was trying to get back in time for origin 1... IMO it is just the media assuming he will be available for the maroons since he hasn't declared his intent to retire from rep footy

H

hidethesuspect

Banned User
Sep 2, 2013
If Mal asks him to play again there is no way Hodges will say no. He loves QLD possibly even more than the Broncos and I can't blame him. I'd go one more series if I were him. It's a shame for the Broncos, but his time is running out so money could play a factor as well.

Sproj

Sproj

Immortal
Senior Staff
Sep 6, 2013
Qld needs to bring a couple of young backs in, these greats of ours can't go on forever sadly.

Morkel

Morkel

International Captain
Contributor
Jan 25, 2013
FYI the 'well known' player considering retirement is Bryce Gibbs.

animal eater

animal eater

QCup Player
Jul 27, 2013
Thing about Hodges and origin that nobody mentions at all is .... he was far and away the best center this year by a long way. He had more impact than even Inglis this year and pretty much completely stifled Jennings which is no easy feat. Whether he will get back to that form is yet to be seen.

coreyh88

coreyh88

NRL Player
Sep 24, 2012
But qld would be silly to rely on him from here on out. They need to give gagai/chambers the experience whilst smith Slater and Thurston are still there.

H

hidethesuspect

Banned User
Sep 2, 2013
They will give him a go one last time around because he wants to and I doubt he would be able to do it again the year after.

Active Now

• Bucking Beads
  • winslow_wong
  • Jazza
  • Scdeac
  • phoenix
  • I bleed Maroon
  • Sproj
  • Aldo
  • Dash
  • Alec
  • Browny
  AdBlock Message
Please consider adding BHQ to your Adblock Whitelist. We do our best to make sure it doesn't affect your experience on the website, and the funds help us pay server and software costs.